Datel creates PS3 add-on with extra USB ports, memory slot

Saturday, 31st July 2010 20:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

datel

Are you one of those PS3 owner who just has way too many peripherals and not enough USB ports to accommodate them?

Well, then fear not our slot challenged friends – Datel has a solution for you.

It’s a device you plug into one of your PS3 ports, thus providing you with an extra three sockets, a SD card slot, and it also has the ability to connect an external power supply to give it more juice (per TSA).

It can be yours for 2,000 yen. We may have to get one, if we can.

Check it out through the link.

1. CaptPierce

This seems dumb as hell.

2. Spaced Oddity

As long as it works, and doesn’t short out the USB port, this is a good deal on a helpful device.

I hated losing the 2 extra ports of my 80GB (MotorStorm bundle) when it YLOD and I replaced it with the slim. Found one of those discontinued USB Adapters at Best Buy for 7 bucks last year, so I’ve been using it to charge my mic and extra DS3.

Why does it seem dumb to you? While some people can live with 2 USBs, people like me with 2 DS3s, a keypad, a bluetooth mic, PSeye and flash drive could use the extra ports. Also, flash card memory slot gives an option for easier camera-to-PS3 photo transfer and more cost-friendly memory solution with SDs. Can’t beat convenience.

3. Stoopid_Snot

sound like and fantastic idea to me
    don’t need one yet but who knows what the future brings

4. Stephany Nunneley

I think everything in life should come with extra slots.

5. typeface

No offence but hasn’t Nyko’s product –>

been out since late 2008 or early 2009? Don’t quite remember when but it’s been a pretty decent solution ever since they removed the option.

Noticed this was discontinued in favour of –> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nyko-Slim-Media-Hub-PS3/dp/B0038KORSA

6. theevilaires

I want usb ports in the back. At least one for the PSeye! Since I already have the original 20GB and 60GB PS3′s I don’t need this but please SONY add two usb slots on the back of the PS4.

7. onlineatron

So does the external power supply allow for PS3-off charging?

If so, sold.

8. ninjanutta

considering you can buy a 4 port usb adaptor for 1 pound,this seems like a pretty dumb and pointless idea,i usually charge my ds3 from my laptop aswell because its normally closer to me than the ps3.This is not needed at all.

9. freedoms_stain

@8, the fact that it has external power and a memory card reader gives it significantly more value than a basic unpowered hub, the ability to charge controllers while the console is off for one, and the fact that you won’t overload the USB bus with 4 potentially power hungry devices attached.

10. D3SI

i have Cables Connected to PC which is on 23/7 (1 hour sleep but only sometimes) most of the time.. charges at night and lasts around 2 days.

11. D3SI

@6 i want USB ports at the back is well so you can hide the cables for PS Eye, DS3, etc etc.

12. Spaced Oddity

Yeah, was going to say the Nyko Hub only works on phat models.

@TEA
    USB ports on the back would be excellent for the PSEye. Off-subject, but I really hate how top heavy the Eye is and how the cord can make it sit lopsided or off-balance.

13. LordCancer

@4 like girls? i like datel, they used to fix broken games.

14. Zune HD

Meh

15. ExclusivesMostly

Yeah I would definately welcome USB port(s) on the back of the PS3.

16. pilix

like U(kidding).

it’s n’t important for eve 1 .

17. Retroid

I honestly forgot that the PS3 doesn’t have rear USB. It’s staggeringly daft when they’re wanting Move to be a big part of their future!

Get get one of these for my Slim. At least it sort-of looks like it fits in aesthetically and I do approve of the card-read slots!

18. varsas

@12: The new NYKO is for the slim and includes a remote!