Insomniac: Vanquish plays like “Gears of War on crack”

Monday, 12th July 2010 09:19 GMT By Joe Anderson

vanquish4

Insomniac employees have pegged Vanquish as a stand-out E3 game.

Three staffers from the developer listed the Platinum shooter as their favourite E3 title, with the graphics, guns, explosions, jet-boots and mechs helping the game raise its head in the crowd.

Community Specialist Paul Featherstone described it as “Gears of War on crack.”

He said: “It’s a brilliant technical showpiece from the creator of the original Resident Evil and the director of Resident Evil 4 – my favorite game of all time. It plays like Gears of War on crack and looks absolutely gorgeous.

“Platinum is knocking it out of the park after Bayonetta – hopefully we will see more frequent high-quality releases from them in the next few years.”

You can check out Insomniac’s impressions from E3 on the company’s blog.

Thanks, Gametrailers.

1. Blerk

Man, I hope some decent news happens soon. :-D

/tumbleweeds

2. Erthazus

Except that Resident Evil 4 was mediocre (At least castle part).
    With childish puzzles, outdated at that time graphics (I played it on PS2, than after few patches on PC with graphics enchantments, still was horrible).

But still, i want Vanquish, dunno why. It looks like a crazy experience. I like everything about it except the stupid plot.

3. Soong

If you seriously think Resi 4 was mediocre then you really have a crap taste in games and I can’t help but feel sorry for you.

4. Erthazus

@3 I feel sorry for idiots like you that have never played TPS games at that time. If you started playing at Gamecube or PS2 than i don’t have a reason to speak with you. Just fuck off.

Resident Evil 4 is a typical TPS with stupid and cliche story, with childish puzzles for 3 or 7 year old children, with stupid environments. It’s just long and the same.

And it’s the same crap like Cold Fear that was Only on PC.

5. Blerk

Cranky this morning, Erthazus? :-)

Resi 4 wasn’t the world-changer that it was made out to be, but it was still a very decent game – I played the original Cube version.

Cold Fear came out for PS2 and Xbox as well, btw.

6. Crysis

i bought resident evil on the pc version a year back, i h8ed the camera style which continued on to 5, i could forgive the camera as my favourite game on the ps1 had the exact same stly (dino crisis), but the controls were worst than terrible, one of the worst controls in-game i’ve ever played

7. Blerk

I seem to recall the PC version being universally decried as a ‘total piece of shit’.

8. Erthazus

@6 PC version is a total piece of crap, so don’t even bother with it.
    It’s much worse than PS2 version and just much, much, much worse than Gamecube version.
    After few patches it’s ok.

@5 Clanky? He said that i don’t have taste for gaming, but if he does than TPS genre of course probably started at Gamecube or Ps2 era of course!

About Re4, it was OK!? Only on Gamecube. I never finished it on Gamecube, i don’t have it. But played it on my friends house. Still it’s really an OK game. But i finished Ps2 version. The only interesting part (Depending on your taste) is start or finish, but the middle of the game is just broken.
    Same shit like Cold Fear on PC.

9. Crysis

vanquish looks like it COULD be good, but i’m going to want to see more before consider getting it

10. frostquake

Um…I guess I am aging myself, but I had an Atari 2600 and Intellivision…oh yeah and what was that other one I had..Coleco Vision??? LOL…Of course when I got my NES and Sega Master System I thought the world was SOOOoooo advanced…LOL

11. Isuru86

Drug addiction is not funny…

12. Gadzooks!

You really are an unpleasant piece of crap.

When you get out of school you are going to struggle interacting with adults.

13. Erthazus

@12 “You really are an unpleasant piece of crap.”

Microsoft fanboy, next time say something more constructive. ;) Much love ;)

14. Eon

Haha, I often wonder how he powers on with his negative attitude towards anything.

I’ve not really looked at Vanquish, maybe I should keep an eye on it.

15. Boris Fett

@4, you *are* an unpleasent piece of crap. You run into countless threads spouting your opinion, then had a hissy fit when someone disagreed with you. Mind you, Soong wasn’t exactly being a model citizen either.

ANYWAY, onto the actual subject of this story (which nobody seems interested in discussing), I had the pleasure of playing this at E3 – it was the first game I ran to play), and I think it’s amazing.

Its a cover based shooter but with a huge focus on movement. It is blindingly fast, but as beautifully intuitive as games such as Bayonetta once you learn its mechanics. It has a level of accessibility for those who just want to enjoy themselves without all the complex abilities and game mechanics though. I think they call it “Easy Mode.” =P

This is my most anticipated game this year. Can’t wait.

16. LePlatypus

@13 During the weekend I had a pleasant time reading the comments on this site without having to read your pc propaganda drivel, when is the next time you plan on taking a break for commenting? because I’ll catch up on all the news then