Marketing 3DS will be “very tricky”, says Nintendo

Saturday, 10th July 2010 16:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

3ds4

Hideki Konno, head of Nintendo’s EAD Software Development Group No. 1, has said marketing 3DS will be “very tricky” for the firm.

Speaking with Edge, Konno said within Nintendo there were those who doubted the handheld, until its tech was seen firsthand.

“We did hear doubtful voices,” he said. “We weren’t completely successfully with Virtual Boy so there was a suspicious tone within the company.

“First, I introduced the latest technology – the 3D panel – attached it to the Wii and showed a demo showing Mario Kart Wii and Animal Crossing. In Japan there’s a maxim: a glance is better than a hundred words. Even with words I wasn’t able to convince anyone. So I presented the demo to Miyamoto and Iwata and they were stunned and agreed to take it in that direction.”

Despite winning over naysayers at Nintendo, Konno said the biggest hurdle will be winning over the public.

“We are constantly discussing how to market the product,” he said. “Our internal PR departments are saying that we should use cinema advertising, because cinemas are capable of showing 3D movies. But our key point with 3DS is that you don’t need glasses, which you obviously need to use in cinemas. So we think regular marketing and promotional activities will be very tricky for us. I think that a lot of awareness about 3DS will be spread by word of mouth.

“Consumers can’t see the real surprise without the 3DS in front of them – cool footage isn’t enough – but [when] I went to our booth [at E3] and found consumers being surprised, saying ‘Wow!’, I was relieved to see those reactions.”

Those at E3 were apparently won over enough for the handheld to garner two Game Critics Awards: one for Best of Show, and another for Best Hardware.

Nintendo 3DS is slated for release sometime before March 2011.

1. LePlatypus

All they need to do is make an advert saying “3D w/ no glass” and it’ll be a hit. I’m still adamant on getting this day 1

2. Syrok

“Look we made a new DS! Plays Mario, Pokemon, Zelda and Cooking Mama.”

There.

3. Gundam

If they can make a handheld console that displays full 3D without the use of glasses and they didn’t have to consult McGyver, then I’m sure they won’t have a problem marketing it.

4. Stephany Nunneley

@4 or God forbid, MacGruber.

5. Gundam

Touché ;)

6. Dannybuoy

I guess cos we’re not used to 3D tech without glasses. It’s a bit of an unknown quantity. We know what the effects are like with glasses. So I guess people might be a bit unsure about glassless 3D

7. DrDamn

I would assume from reports that it will sell exceptionally well on word of mouth. Certainly with kids.

8. OlderGamer

So long as the 3D doesn’t make people sick, can be played more then 20mins at a time, and can be seen from more angles then a “holographic” baseball card, they should be fine.

But if kids can’t play them – refering to the 7yr old and under thing, they are sunk. I sure as hell don’t want one. And if they think they are going to market this thing to NA Adults … they need their heads examined.

9. Phoenixblight

I will be buying assuming that it doesn’t,”doesn’t make people sick, can be played more then 20mins at a time, and can be seen from more angles then a “holographic” baseball card.”

Especially with some of the games, they were demoing for it like Ocarina of TIme and Kingdom Hearts. If they continue with RPGs that they have been for the DS I will be on it faster than white on rice.

10. theevilaires

Oh Nintendo STFU you know its gonna sell the second people see Mario or pokemon in 3D.

11. OlderGamer

I don’t know, I hear white on rice is a sticky situation.

To be fair there is a audiance out there for well exicuted remakes of classic JRPGS.

Personaly, I have a lot of remakes already. And between VC/PSP/GameBoy(adv, SP, DS) and I hate to admit to it emulators for the PC. I am pretty much covered with retro. I don’t feel compeled to rebuy the same ole games just because they are displayed in 3D.

12. Phoenixblight

“I don’t know, I hear white on rice is a sticky situation.”

Only if you make it wrong =-P

13. Sunshyme

Marketing for the 3DS will be almost too easy. Just like they did with the original DS: send out people on the streets with a 3DS, like those girls during the Nintendo press conference. People have to see and play to experience it.

That’s the easiest way to send out the message. All the other exposure is just for brand awareness, tv and cinema commercials.