Blizzard “definitely listening to player feedback” on Real ID

Thursday, 8th July 2010 10:54 GMT By Johnny Cullen

blizzardlogoa

Blizzard’s told Gama that it is “definitely listening to player feedback” over the announcement earlier this week it’s to implement a Real ID service on its forums.

The company announced the news on Tuesday, meaning users on the StarCraft II forums will soon post with their real names.

“[We] will be carefully monitoring how people are using the service,” a rep told the site.

“Real ID is a new and different concept for Blizzard gamers – and for us as well – and our goal is to create a social gaming service that players want to use.”

Real ID will be introduced to the StarCraft II forums when the game launches next month, with the same to be done for World of Warcraft near the launch of Cataclysm later this year.

The service won’t be used for Blizzard’s classic forums.

1. StolenGlory

Yep, they’re still listening.

And they still don’t care.

2. Gekidami

Bah, by the time they’d have done anything, i’d have managed to track down atleast 10 people, sneak into their bedrooms at night and… Place chocolates on their pillows. :)

3. Suikoden Fan

but are they listening to Hitler?

4. AHA-Lambda

they’re choosing to listen and choosing to ignore it aswell ;)

BTW is this some sort of activision influence or not? I always thought blizzard’s financial practices was considered autonomous from activisions O_o

5. El_MUERkO

I wonder if they’re listening after one of there staff posted his real name and his entire life was posted on the forums within hours :D

6. OlderGamer

This scares the shit out of me.

I know on the surface it seems like no big deal. It seems like people are over reacting. Like they are whinning and crying over … nothing. No big deal.

But look deeper. Look at people that go beyond simple trolling. Look at child pediphiles. Look at the recent case of the man tracking down a fellow online player and shooting him over getting schooled in MP. Look at the recent Blizz employee that follishly placed his name on the forums only to have his life posted mere hours later, including a photo taken that showed his house from the street.

This is bad. Bad on a lot of wrong levels. And it is only the tip of the ice burg.

I hope enough people can show their outrage and stop it from happening. Last nite b4 I went to bed, just one single thread on the WoW forums was over 1600 pages long. And there were several thread on the subject.

I play wow, am interested in Starcraft II, and will buy Diablo III. But I will stop playing WoW and pass on both SCII and Diablo if Blizz goes forward with RealID.

My guess is that Blizz will indeed roll it out for the launch of SCII. What I am hoping is that they will roll it Back shortly after.

7. Phoenixblight

Its just the forum OG. You can still enjoy the game without being bothered.

I doubt it will go very far because one of Blues stated his name on the forums in good faith to this system within hours of it, he was spammed with phone calls and his house was attacked by fans now the CSR on the phone are saying that the blues will not be showing their real names with this system.

8. Uncontested

Lol so Blizzard will protect themselves from their own system ? Fucking brilliant.

This is why I will never give out my real name on the internet, ever. To many fucked up people, to many faggoty little dweebs willing to ruin your life in the name of trolling, all it takes is some false accusations to ruin your name for life.

Look up the recent trend of these trolls SWATting people on google if you don’t think your address and real name can’t be used for some serious shit, an estimated 60 cases of this have happened since 2006.

9. LordCancer

i hate this social shit.

10. StolenGlory

Or, people could just opt out.

How about that.

11. blackdreamhunk

ithink that is going way to far. more of a money grab well I am not going to buy it changed my mind.

12. Phoenixblight

@10 You can’t opt out. Blizzard’s form of opting out is just not participating in the forums. If your account is not being parentally controlled you are automatically opted in.

OMFG 60 cases out 360 million people in AMerica. We need to shut the internet down

/sarcasm

13. Centipede

I really don’t like that move by Blizzard…but it does not affect me. I seldom go to look at the Blizzard Troll forums, let alone leave a comment there. Maybe the trolling will stop…. but it is a very harsh move.

14. OlderGamer

Well, first for StolenGlory, you can’t opt out. It is mandatory, when using the forums. And many folks are claiming that RealID is/was planned to extend into the games themselves.

As for simply not posting on the forums, that sounds good, however if/when you need to use the forums in the event of an account security issue or anything else. I was hacked, tried to use the phone, was put on hold for way too long and finaly got disconected. I ended up getting help through the forums. I feel the forums are a vital part of the game, not only from a community perspective as related to the enjoyment of the game. But also for the customer support side of things. To simply not use the forums is not a workable solution imo.

What Blizz is trying to do is wrong, plan and simple. It should be met with strong opesition from the game community. As gamers we shouldn’t be looking for ways to cope with it(like avoiding the forums), we are, after all paying for a service.

Ultimatly we do have a voice and a vote. And of course that means not paying to play their games.

Time will tell and we will see what happens.

(Added)

I just checked the biggest forum page regaurding this issue on Blizzes forums(there are several).

The thread is nearing 2000 pages. Contains over 35,000 responses. And has been viewed over 373,200 times.

Kind of impressive.

15. Phoenixblight

“It should be met with strong opesition from the game community. ”

It has been if you have been on the forums of late the community is in an uproar and if you been in any game community sites any articles about this topic have more comments than the news about the new changes to the Talent system. I have read a good majority of them and I am seeing 1 out of 30 people maybe supporting it.

There are other ways to remove trolls that doesn’t invade privacy.

16. Gekidami

I bet THIS GUY wishes he had access to the other guys real, full name. He woudnt have wasted 6 months.

17. OlderGamer

@Gek

Crazy shit, I remember reading that a while back. Almost makes ya wanna go back to retro days.