Kojima might work on Metal Gear Solid 5

Wednesday, 7th July 2010 10:15 GMT By Johnny Cullen

oldsnake

Here’s a surprise. Hideo Kojima has told an unnamed Japanese magazine, presumably Famitsu, that he’s deciding whether he should make Metal Gear Solid 5 for consoles or something completely new.

He apparently said he wants to do stuff he wasn’t able to get into the recently-released MGS: Peace Walker on PSP. The design document for the project is done, and it deals with the “taboo” subject he’s talked about in the past.

The subject, which may make him leave the industry if he screws up, was previously pegged for HD consoles.

Asked how long development would last on the project, Kojima said, “If I get moving, quick.”

Earlier this year, it was confirmed that MGS: Peace Walker was initially considered to be Metal Gear Solid 5, but the title was changed soon before its reveal at E3 last year.

Last night, Kojima said that Zone of the Enders 3, Kojima Productions’ most asked for project, would be looked into after development on MGS: Rising is finished.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Freek

2. mington

zombie snake

3. Johnny Cullen

I did not see this coming.

[note: totally did]

4. Isuru86

LoL @ 2

That man is a beast @ Topic

5. Bulk Slash

Do you think when Kojima dies, Konami will put his brain in a nutrient filled jar and get it to continue making MGS sequel design documents?

6. Blerk

SHOCK!*

*not

7. Erthazus

“After MGS 4 closed out the story definetifly, how on earth can there be a part 5?”

Actually it is far from over. If you understood the whole MGS story, there will be Metal Gear Solid 5.
    + some leaks from Peace Walker. There will be Metal Gear Solid 5.

8. cookiejar

I don’t care what the story is. I’ll buy it.

9. The Hindle

They should reboot it, start it over. Have Snake as a wet behind the ears rookie. I love Mgs but man im sick of the current storyline, they pretty much wrapped it up with Mgs 4

10. Blerk

Metal Gear Flaccid.

11. Freek

Oh I’m sure they’d be able to keep it going forever by starting a new storyline (Metal Gear Something Something) but Solid Snake is done, they ended it, and they ended it well.

12. loki

Just do it Hideo!

13. mojo

this hideous..

14. theevilaires

Come on already. Let Snake rest. Just remake MGS3 for PS3 with MGS4 engine and graphics please.

15. KKDragonLord

9 i’ve been waiting a decade for Kojima to remake the first two games from MSX. There’s more than one way to reboot

16. zoopdeloop

Kojima-san should really put the MGS franchise to rest altogether and present something new to the audience

17. theevilaires

@15 you’re so right man. The Original Metal Gears remade would kick ass!

18. StolenGlory

Didn’t the original MGS get remade anyway as MGS: The Twin Snakes for the Gamecube?

With that in mind, what would you want to see then?

A HD-ification of the PSOne original or of the Gamecube remake that came years later?

19. theevilaires

No stolen thats not the original Metal gear. the 1st Original Metal Gear made its release on the MSX computer.

That twin snake one was shit and was a desperate attempt remake of the Metal Gear Solid saga by silicon knights and nintendo to get more sales (poor gamecube).

20. StolenGlory

@TEA

I wasn’t talking about the original Metal Gear. I was talking about the original Metal Gear Solid.

In so far as the first instalment of the series on the PSOne.

Also, The Twin Snakes was shit?

As far as the original MG from the MSX being remade, is there any point now that we have MGS3 and soon MGS3 on the 3DS?

21. mathare92

@16. Though I’m an avid MGS fan myself, I totally agree with you.

22. theevilaires

Yes stolen twin Snakes was SHIT with a capitol S. Voice acting was different and some dialogue got changed. Snake was like fucking NEO with all the slow motion flipping cutscenes. I though the Matrix had somehow infected my MGS disc.

fucking shit I wanted to kill every mother fucker at Silicon knights for the embarrassment they bought to the MGS franchise name. I rather play the 32bit version any day of the year.

As far as the originals being made hell yes theres reason. Have you played MGS3. Did you see how kojima went back and made that story line of a game from scratch. Who would have thought playing as Big Boss was going to be that cool. Now lets have that experience again in HD putting two guys we’ve grown to love fighting each other out.

It would re-introduce the world of new and up coming gamers to the best gaming franchise in the world. Also kojima can go with more action and less story kinda since we all know the story now right…like say Dragon Ball Z kai reboot. It would be fucking awesome man trust me.

2 Legendary gaming Heros 1 revamped Metal gear in HD Glory = Huge instant success. Also this is Kojima’s chance to dethrone Uncharted 2 :D

23. StolenGlory

I really enjoyed MGS3. A lot. I’m not convinced though that I would want another game so smiliar to it (which is what a HD remake of the original Metal Gear would be).

I love MGS a helluva lot, probably not as much as you TEA (your hostility towards The Twin Snakes shows that much I guess) but even so, I would also like to see a remake of the original PSOne title too I believe.

And yep, Dragon Ball Z Kai is awesome. Not so much of a reboot though, as a streamlined version of DBZ.

24. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Drop the solid. Reboot Metal Gear with a remake of MG1 using best possible engine.

25. StolenGlory

I must confess, I really didn’t think people were so passionate about the MSX original :O.

26. theevilaires

Well we are. Listen most devs today suck at making games. This industry is about to go the way of Hollywood soon watch. This gen is a great time for devs to capitalize on past franchises two or more gens ago. reboot shit. freshen it up because 10 years ago that 15 year old kid was 5. He didn’t know how to play MGS1 properly back then. Now he does and he’s been spoiled by HD graphics….

So what do you do? You do the fucking obvious! remake in HD with better and bigger special effects like Hollywood does.

King kong anyone? the original next to the reboot is a huge difference. And its easy guaranteed money from the vets and newbies. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist dude.

27. StolenGlory

I know it doesn’t take a fucking rocket scientist dude, I was merely saying that I misunderstood the love people had for the original game.

Geez.

28. Dr.Ghettoblaster

You must forgive TEA, he has a way with words….lol ;)

I agree to his point though and dig the movie remake analogy. HD remakes are the cats ass theses days. LOVE to see many originals remade with Metal Gear 1 and Resident Evil 1 being at the top of my list.

29. osric90

No remakes please, HD ports yeah, maybe, if cheap and for PS3 onlye. Twin Snakes was a WTF game, real fans didn’t like it…they turned Snake into Superman. I would wish this saga to finish with MGS: Rising (with the irony in the word) and then port PS, PS2 and PSP games to PS3 into MG Ultimate Collection; MG, MG2, MGS (PS definitely not Twin Snakes), MGS2S, MGS3S, MGSPO and MGSPW.