Castlevania: Harmony of Despair hits XBLA in August

Tuesday, 6th July 2010 20:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

harmony of despair

Konami has announced the release date for Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, the first Castlevania game exclusively for Xbox Live Arcade.

It will be available for download on Wednesday, August 4 and will run you 1200 MSP.

Good news, and day one for us.

In Harmony of Despair, vampire hunters from the Castlevania series come together “in order to return Dracula to his eternal slumber”.

The game allows up to six players through XBL to explore levels inspired by the worlds of  Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia via online co-op play.

Those with big enough kahunas can also try their hand at competitive Survival Mode to determine “the best slayer of evil”.

Konami said there are also plans for downloadable content featuring new characters along with new levels in the future.

Via: PR.

1. DaMan

hmm too expensive, i would buy it for 800msp.

2. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I just wish it wasn’t multiplayer ONLY

3. Bulk Slash

Wait, it’s multiplayer only? What a waste of time.

4. DaMan

i would be okay with it being co-op only, but are you sure?

5. Bulk Slash

@4 I hope that article is true, I could do with a new Castlevania to play. I’ve been replaying Castlevania 1 and Super Castlevania IV a lot recently…

6. AHA-Lambda

is this MP only? fuck that! >:(

7. Dr.Ghettoblaster

“The game can be played single-player, but its real innovation comes in the form of six-player simultaneous cooperative online play.”

8. DaMan

yeah, i’ve read that. not quite a multiplayer-only game though.

anyway, i’m fine with the emphasys being on coop play.

9. Dr.Ghettoblaster

For sure. I’m def buying it, but not a fan of forced co-op/multiplayer play personally. Especially when there’s a timer/race involved…

10. RETARDED VIKING

AWWWWWWWW August????pfft man i was hoping a july date.

11. Blerk

It’s not multiplayer-only. At E3 they were only allowing people to play single-player, iirc.

What worries me more is that it seems to be a sort of ‘time attack’ thing. I like to take my time exploring every Castlevania nook and cranny – I’m not going to be doing that if there’s a ticking countdown on-screen at all times. Which is a shame. Will try, though. I live in hope.

Given that this is in the Summer of Arcade promotion I guess the rest of those games will be arriving in August too?

12. Blerk

Ah, they start at the end of July, and are all 1200 points. Just announced.

# Limbo- July 21
    # Hydro Thunder Hurricane – July 28
    # Castlevania: Harmony of Despair – August 4
    # Monday Night Combat – August 11
    # Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light – August 19

13. mington

I think i’ll give castlevania a miss, i’ve already fought all the bosses they’ve shown in the trailers. I’d love a proper HD 2D castlevania story, with all new levels and characters, which this isn’t, this is everything from the last 4 or 5 games thrown together, and as i’ve played most of them i doubt i’ll find anything new here. i’ll just wait for the next DS game

14. mington

And as for Limbo being 1200! I think that price point is a mistake. At 800 i wouldn’t have given it a second thought, an arty farty puzzle platformer, awesome, as an adult core gamer this is the shit i live for, right?