May NPD: Alan Wake sells 145,000, beats Blur’s 31,000

Monday, 5th July 2010 17:41 GMT By Johnny Cullen

alanwake5

Oh dear. Gama‘s posted up NPD figures for Alan Wake, Blur, Split/Second and Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sand for the month of May. It’s grim reading, quite frankly.

All four titles debuted in May, and all sold under 200,000. Three sold under 100,000.

Remedy’s Alan Wake sold 145,000, while Ubisoft’s PoP: The Forgotten Sand had sold under 100,000, despite releasing on five platforms.

Disney-published Split/Second made combined sales of 86,000 for PS3 and 360. Bizarre’s Blur sold only 31,000, although it was only on sale for five days at the end of the month.

All of these titles are in massive contrast to the combined 1.5 million sales of Red Dead Redemption, which gave both the 360 and PS3 versions first and second in the software charts on Thursday night.

Hear that? The sound of pain.

1. Phoenixblight

To be expected imo. Alan Wake was am example of MS marketing machine hyping up a horrible game. Worst 40$ I have ever spent.

2. LePlatypus

3. Anders

Jesus christ. Hard blow for Remedy, having worked on Alan Wake for about six years.

4. Malmer

That is so sad. Alan Wake is easily one of this year’s best games. Maybe it was a too cerebral game for the general Xbox crowd in the US.

Had they released one month earlier or later they would have done much better.

5. G1GAHURTZ

So surely this is proof that heavy marketing =/= high sales.

6. Johnny Cullen

I liked Alan Wake. Shame to see it didn’t sell as well as it should.

7. The Hindle

Unless its done well in Europe i cant see a sequel happening, the question now is what happens to Remedy? they said just before AW came out they had bet the farm on it. Id say POP is dead as well btw.

8. Erthazus

I just borrowed Xbox 360 for that game. Really wanted it on PC back in a day, but when i played it… It was just an OK game with locations like: Beautiful forest, beautiful forest, beautiful forest, beautiful forest. With stupid car driving levels.

Surprisingly it has a good story (a little bit cliche from other novels and books, but it doesn’t matter to me), but dialogs were urgh…

It’s just sad that creators of Max Payne that i really liked back in a day. It was a brilliant game back in the day and Remedy created this.
    Graphics are ok, back in a day i was like: WOW.

PS: Split/Second in my opinion deserve more sales, but game was OK. Great idea, not so much for the execution and balance.

9. Hunam

I’ve just started AW and I think it’s rather grand. Has the correct amount of daft in it.

10. Anders

Remedy is a pretty small studio, so they will probably be able to stay afloat. For now, at least. I can imagine that getting funds for a new project is another story.

11. Phoenixblight

It was not a cerebral game. Pretty straight forward story nothing about it made it “scary”. It was like playing Goosebumps which I read back in 2nd grade. If they wanted scary they should have looked at Deadspace or PS2 era Silent Hill. Look at what those two games did, they used the background music and environment to scare the audience and it worked at least for me it did. Within the first two hours it became a third person shooter and you knew there was a battle coming when you found cache full of ammo.

12. Hunam

If you think it was about being scary then maybe it was too cerebral for you :P

13. Phoenixblight

Thats what MS was trying to sell it as. As a survival horror and why I bought it because I wanted to play a horror game.

14. El_MUERkO

Sorry to see Split/Second and Blur do so badly but what they were doing being released together I’ll never know, talk about shooting each other in the feet.

I bought Split/Second after playing it at the Eurogamer Expo, well worth getting, loads of fun… however if I was only going to get one game in May then I would have bought Red Dead Redemption.

Publishers need to stay far, far away from the behemoths or their new IPs will get crushed.

15. RomaTotti10

I remember reading that you could get Blur for $10 or $20 online. That’s probably the reason the number is so low.

16. ivycrew707

@14 good point, I sometimes think thats why some ps3 games only do so-so or not as “gamers” expect from numbers. To many good games (or expected to be) all in same time frame, and right before or after a high demand game

17. get2sammyb

Those Blur sales are most concerning. Sure, its an iffy concept (perhaps), but with heavy marketing and the game actually, y’know, being quite good, 31,000 is ridiculous.

I fear for Singularity.

18. Erthazus

@17 Blur is good? Lol?

19. SlayerGT

I pulled out my old Xbox and my buddy and I have been playing the shit out of PGR2. That game is still awesome. Makes me sad actually.

20. Robo_1

Blur is actually a really solid game, espescially online. It deserved to do a lot better than it has done, as did Split Second. I’ve not played Alam Wake so can’t speak to it’s quality, but I hope it doesn’t mark the end of Remedy. Max Payne was brilliant back in the day.

Does anybody know how Mod Nation Racers fared?

21. Rudderless

Alan Wake’s sales aren’t that much of a surprise given MS’s worrying lack of marketing support for the game. Was almost as if they expected the hype (which had been steadily dropping the longer it was delayed) would carry it.

22. NiceFellow

Should have launched on PS3, 360 and PC. The title/genre was not a good fit for general 360 demographic and Remedy paid the price of limiting themselves in potential customer base.

On all three, worldwide, it would have saw 1M easily enough, but with that launch and I gather a weak opening outside US (where 360 is much weaker than US) the title will now really struggle to reach 1M if ever.

Pity, as while it’s too actiony to be a true survival horror, too obvious to really reach Twin Peaks (an obvious inspiration) levels of oddity and too conservative to remotely reach the surreal creeps of a Silent Hill title, it’s a polished, competent game from a good developer that has been artificially limited.

I just don’t get why any company would make an exclusive unless they’re first party or very, very sure it’s going to be worth it (i.e. being paid over the odds by MS or Sony to cut out the other platform).

23. Gekidami

Microsoft paid to make the game and published it (but i dont think they own the IP). So thats that.

24. ExclusivesMostly

@22: Agreed!

25. Hakkiz

AW should be over 0,5 million by now, so it’s not doing that bad actually. Still a bit disappointing. As much as I loved the story and atmosphere, it has that certain feeling that they needed to get it out asap. Hopefully the PC version will return after the DLC packs to boost the numbers.

26. _LarZen_

Alan Wake is one of the best games so far in 2010.

27. Phoenixblight

You are right according to VG charts it just barely broke half a million.

They were developing the game for 6 years so of course it had to be pushed out. There are DS games that have sold more than that and they cost a fraction to develop.

28. ekfight

Im really confused over all this hate for Alan Wake.
    The gameplay was SUPER smooth, graphics were great, story had humor, drama, and always kept you wanting more. People are saying the subtleties to this game werent scary?? I seriously dont know what the entertainment industry has to do to scare people anymore. That game had more atmosphere than hundreds of movies and games combined over the past decade

Sure you were in the forest alot – but thats where the town was located… would you rather alan wake skydive while fighting skydiving shadowmen??

29. Phoenixblight

Play Deadspace.

30. ekfight

I love Deadspace. Way to miss the point by simply pointing out another good game.

Thats the problem elitist gamers have nowadays. If a new game doesnt live up to and exceed the kingpin game in its genre – then the game is shit.

The new Castlevania game is going to be superbly awesome, but people wont shut up about god of war comparisons.

So yes, Ive played deadspace and loved it. Thats got nothing to do with what im saying though.

31. Demiath

I’m playing through Alan Wake right now (just finished Chapter 5) and it’s…pretty generic. Strong art direction and loads of pretty volymetric fog only goes so far when the gameplay is a linear slog through endless nondescript forests and the shooting mechanics are simplistic and repetitive. Deserves to sell more than 150k for the great atmosphere alone, but Game of the Year material it ain’t…

32. jamjam

Think the Blur sales are a bit misleading, it was only out for the last few days in May. Not saying it’s going to be a mega hit but I don’t think it’s quite the flop suggested here.

& Erthazus, yes, Blur is bloody good. Check RLL – it’s getting a lot of love from people.

33. Phoenixblight

I enjoy originality in games but Alan Wake had none. The story was straight forward and nothing was awespiring like Silent Hill 2. Not going to spoil AW for those that are/haven’t play it but there is nothing original about it.

What made Deadspace great was not just the story but the atmosphere and the background noise. Alan Wake didn’t use none of that, it was a generic third person shooter with shadowmen. Granted it had great eye candy but at the end of the day thats all it had….

34. threadzilla

I loved Alan Wake…the problem with it though is that it is so short that many people probably rented or sold back copies.

35. Happy Hardon Harry

I don’t feel one bit for Alan Wank, MS were being assholes regarding exclusivity of the title.

Also the 360 never did the game justice i.e. sub-HD, plus the game tore like bastard due to no V-Sync.

A mediocre title indeed.

36. _LarZen_

I think the people “hating” Alan Wake is people that jumped on the hype train and did not get what they dreamed about.

As a fan of books and movies from Stephen King and H. P. Lovecraft I found something in Alan Wake I have been missing for a long time.

It felt like a game made for adults with a story that draw me in and it was like watching a realy good tv series.

I hope Remedy and other developers wil continue to make games like this, in a time where brainless fps games dominate the market.

37. Happy Hardon Harry

6 years to develop and under half a mill sold is a fucking disaster considering the amount of bread it took to develop the game.

I agree with post 22, this should’ve been multiplatform. Deserves MS right after the way they treated the PC gamer regarding exclusivity of the title.

Karma’s a bitch isn’t it…

38. nightwalker

LOL, Alan Wake is probably the best single player game on the 360. The graphics were great, don’t know what game you were playing…

It had a great story, great action, and the best atmosphere I’ve seen in years. It destroyed RE5 easily.

But to each his own I guess.

39. nightwalker

I’m sorry but how can you say Alan Wake’s story wasn’t original? That makes we think you either didn’t understand it or didn’t even play the game.

40. Phoenixblight

*cough* http://www.amazon.com/Blob-That-Ate-Everyone-Goosebumps/dp/0590568922 *cough*

“Would-be horror novelist Zackie Beauchamp finds a beat-up old typewriter in a burned-out antiques store and takes it home to begin writing his opus on a giant, pink blob monster, only to discover that every word he writes is coming true.”

Hmm sounds familiar does it not

41. Galactic_Barret

Heh, goosebumps.

42. LOLshock94

it servers remedey right for makin AW a shorter game coz e32006 had AW and it had a bit of free roaming

43. Demiath

@39: Thinking Alan Wake’s story was even the least bit original makes me think you’ve never, y’know, read a mediocre Stephen King-style novel in your life…

44. ivycrew707

Today I realized numbers mean nothing to gamers who don’t read sites and forums which is probably 9 out of 10

45. Blerk

It’d be a shame if they didn’t get enough sales to make a sequel to Alan Wake. It’s not the classic it should have been given the amount of time it was in development, but there was a solid base there which could’ve provided an excellent platform for a more rounded sequel. The story and the environments were great, with a little more variety in the gameplay and a little less reliance on the ‘linear corridor’ approach it could’ve been something really special.

46. Gadzooks!

That’s a rather dissapointing figure for Alan Wake. It deserves much, much better.

Alan Wake had easily the most atmosphere of any game I’ve played, nice fluid gameplay and was absolutely stunning to look at.

I never saw a single advert for it on TV though. I guess MS was too busy pandering to Wii owners to bother promoting one of the best games this gen.

I’d imagine Remedy are a tad pissed at MS. It’s like a shoe manufacturer sponsoring an olympic athlete only to send him on the track wearing a couple of bin liners on his feet.

47. Phoenixblight

I dunno I saw commercials for all the time on my favorite channels; Comedy Central, Cartoon Network and G4. I saw at least every other commercial break.

48. Gadzooks!

“my favorite channels; Comedy Central, Cartoon Network and G4″

That would explain it then. They blew their advertising budget on ADHD children when it’s a game that appeals to adults wanting a bit of style, atmosphere and pacing.

49. Blerk

They advertised Alan Wake on Cartoon Network? Seriously? :-D

50. Gadzooks!

Apparently so. Someone in the MS marketing department needs to be fired. In fact, the whole marketing department seem to have a fundamental lack of understanding of what they are marketing.

51. Blerk

glol! Talk about totally missing your potential audience! They may as well have flushed the marketing money down the toilet! :-D

52. AHA-Lambda

shame about alan wake, expected it to do alot better :(

I admit I thought AW was overrated but i’d like a sequel to continue the story.

PS really bad number for PoP OUCH!! I bought it last week for sub £20 so i knew it was doing bad but damn ubi ****ed up!! And its not that bad actually =/