Diablo II turns 10, still being played on Battle.net

Wednesday, 30th June 2010 16:59 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

DiabloII

Diablo II turned 10 years-old yesterday, believe it or not, and Blizzard is celebrating with a bit of a retrospective on the Diablo III website.

Released on June 29, 2000, the game’s still being played on Battle.net and the most recent update for it was released back in March.

Still no date on Diablo III yet, and while announced two years ago this month, Blizzard is taking it’s normal “we’ll ship it when it’s ready” approach to the title.

BlizzCon 2010 takes place October 22-23 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California, so hopefully we’ll get an update on the game’s progress during the event.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. Erthazus

Fucking amazing game. I play it at least once per year.
    I don’t play on Battle.Net much, but i play singleplayer always. Even to this day i have old diskette where is my Necromancer with level 90+

It’s so addictive and it’s not just epic, it’s a legendary game and i can’t wait for the Diablo 3. It’s going to be freakin’ amazing.

I hope that they will release it at least at 2012, but knowing Blizzard, Diablo III is going to be at 2014 maybe.

and for this Blizzcon i hope they will show gameplay footage with Necromancer. My favourite Diablo class. I finished 4 times singleplayer with that class, don’t know why i like him, but it’s a nostalgia.

2. Gheritt White

Fuck the Necromancer – it’s all about being a Werebear Druid with fire-claws!

3. Erthazus

@2 Druid and Paladin are the weakest classes in Diablo. HA HA. Noob :D

Necromancer is not the strongest, but it’s third at least. Noob!

XD

4. Erthazus

“Released on June 29, 2000, Diablo II was built on the foundation established by the original Diablo, which combined classic role-playing game design philosophies and fast-paced demon-killing action.” (c) Blizzard.

happy birthday Diablo II. I love you.

5. endgame

well u know PC gamers, they’ll never let any game die. for us it’s like “no game gets left behind”. it’s amazing. :)

6. unacomn

@5 Well, I wouldn’t say “no game gets left behind”. I have gladly left Daikatana behind with no remorse.

But Diablo 2, never, it’s the game I bought when I got my first salary and it’s still installed on my PC and I try to play it every few weeks.
    Here’s hoping D3 will be another decade long affair.

7. Gheritt White

No way! Druids are *way* more powerful than Paladins! Sure, they may not have as much specialised loot, but they’re second only to Barbarians in close-quarters combat!

Also, I don’t think you know what n00b means – I’ve finished all three passes of Diablo with my Druid Wulfric, thakyouverymuch.

8. Erthazus

@7 If you finished 3 passes it’s not making you an experienced player. You are still fucking NEWBIE.
    and Druids are not powerful than paladins. Right auras and it will smask the shit out of Druid.

Druids are Ok.

9. Gheritt White

Hmm, I’m still not sure you grasp what newbie means. I mean, I remember battling through all three classes on all difficulties in the original Diablo when I was in my teens, and salivating at the prospect of Diablo 2 two years before its release. You would only have been 10 years old at the time of Diablo 2′s release, so I seriously doubt I’m newer to the franchise than you.

Am I as “hardcore”? Maybe not. But we all know that the label “hardcore gamer” = “cunty elitist”.

10. theevilaires

Erthazus = Nerd Gheritt = Dweeb Me = Supreme Overload of all I survey!

Step Your Game Up! PC Geeks!

11. Gheritt White

PC? Pah. Macs all the way…

Now, where did I put my flame-resistant underwear?

12. OlderGamer

Love Diablo. Can’t wait for the next one. Too bad these games don’t get on console. I know the first one was on PSone, but that wasn’t gonna work from the start. Diablo III on the xb360 would be a perfect fit.

But hey that is why I have a PC. Looking forward to it.

13. Blerk

Diablo fan in-fighting? Whatever next? :-D

I didn’t play Diablo II until I played the demo a couple of years back and loved it. Always meant to pick up the full game and for some reason never did, although I did get Torchlight which is along the same lines.

I might go hunting for a cheapie copy. Anyone seen one kicking around?