Reeves: New consoles coming in 2-3 years

Tuesday, 29th June 2010 21:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

consoles

Capcom Europe boss David Reeves believes that the big three will release new consoles within two to three years.

Speaking with GI.biz, Reeves stated that Kinect and Move will “revive and pique interest” in games until there’s another “clash of the titans in two years time”.

“Two to three years, I reckon so,” he said when asked for an approximate time-frame.

“I don’t have any inside information. All the first-parties have got to be working on something. The tricky thing is when do you put a stake in the ground on technology? That’s the problem.

“You can be waiting a few extra months to implement something, but you’ve got to set a date to go with a certain chip at a certain point otherwise you’re going to miss the key milestones.”

As for Xbox 360, European Microsoft executive Chris Lewis told VG247 during E3 that the redesigned 360 along with Kinect would extend the machine’s life-cycle by five years.

“It is, in many ways for us, mid-lifecycle,” he said. “With this new, sleek design and Kinect for Xbox 360 we’ve got at least another five years of this generation, where we continue to offer great experiences for people.”

Meanwhile, Sony has said time and time again that PS3 has a 10-year life-span, with SCEA’s Peter Dille going so far as to say that it will beat out Xbox 360 in lifetime sales.

“I don’t think [360 will] be around in 10 years so I’m very confident we’ll pass them within that time-frame,” said the exec, speaking in an IGN interview.

“I mean, we’ve got 31 million [units sold] worldwide right now — they’ve got 39 million [units sold]. I don’t even need to go out 10 years.”

Nintendo has remained quiet on when to expect a new console let alone and upgraded version of Wii, but NOA’s Reggie Fils-Aime has said that the company is not ready for Wii 2 yet.

1. Razor

lol Reeves

2. Gheritt White

On shelves in 2014, I reckon.

3. polygem

I believe hes correct. 360 will become more and more casual titles and will be supported another 5 years. It will have enough horsepower for these games obviously. But in 2 or 3 years there will be a new console as well. Same with sony…

4. Patrick Garratt

Microsoft’ll go first, I reckon. 2012 E3 reveal for release in 2013. Could be a year later if Kinect does proper business. PS4′ll come a year or two later, depending on how things pan out with PS3. Both of them will want to stick with this generation for as long as possible, but I don’t think MS will have the balls to go past 2013 without a reveal. As soon as everything starts turning red they’ll have to go.

Obv question: wIll they haf Bl00ray?!!?!

5. Razor

“As soon as everything starts turning red they’ll have to go.”

What does that mean?

6. Patrick Garratt

@5 – As soon as 360 hardware and software sales switch to negative growth. The Slim and Kinect is designed to kick everything back into proper growth again. As soon as it wears off, they’ll move on.

7. Gekidami

Has that happened to the PS2 yet? Seeing as it only gets cheaper to make the hardware as time goes by i cant imagine it.

8. mington

I wonder what Nintendo will do…will they even bother with another console? I don’t think they will be able to compete at the next level now that everyones got on the waggle wagon

9. The Hindle

Lets start guessing names im calling it the next Xbox will be called Xbox 678 :D

10. polygem

@8: interesting question indeed. Maybe they’ll surprise everyone again. A maschine that allows you to play games while you sleep would be sweet.

11. SOMI

@8 your out of your mind, they started working on the Wii successor when it was released. They’ve said that their next system will have more than just HD, 3D is likely and something else. Iwata stated that he wil lwait till 3D T’v become widespread instead of expecing peopel to shell out £3,000 on one.

12. The Hindle

Personally i think its going to be a lot sooner then any of the guesses made. I think like Halo 2 was the last AAA exclusive for the Xbox, Gears 3 will be the same for the 360.

13. Dr.Ghettoblaster

How awesome would it be for Nintendo to release a proper next gen system first out the gate in the next year or so?

I’m sorry, but that new Zelda looks like a step backwards in my opinion.

14. G1GAHURTZ

Cloud gaming will surely make consoles obsolete.

15. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Still too many lag/connectivity issues me thinks. I’d bet we see at least one more generation of consoles before full online integration.

Plus, you know Nintendo has at least one more new console gen in them….they’re ALWAYS behind on technology (CD’s, HD, etc), but ahead on innovation (3D analog stick, motion controls).

What i mean is this:

1. When everyone else went CD-Rom, Nintendo stuck with cartridges.

2. When everyone else went HD, Nintendo stuck with SD.

Which leads me to believe, when everyone else goes fully online, Nintendo will release a new console and once again take the #1 spot as console manufacturer.

…just a thought… ;)

16. DrDamn

Available for about £920 now.

17. SOMI

@16 really? for a 2nd hand one I bet, plus 3D glasses costs about £100.

18. James Mac

Might not need Blu-Ray:

19. drewbles82

I think all companies will wait a few yrs to see how ppl take on 3D. Alot of ppl have replaced their tvs the last few yrs for HD, tv life span can be well over 10yrs so ppl upgrading to 3D tvs when money is tight, not gonna happen. I think the new consoles will all try 2 bring 3D, motion control/sensors,MS will have to jump onto bluray or the nxt big format. this generation of console has lasted longer than the past consoles, its fair to say ppl have built a collection of games so making these new consoles without backwards comp would be a huge mistake.

20. DrDamn

£917

You can get a free pair of glasses with every Samsung 3D TV through their website (normally £70 each)

21. SOMI

@20 yeah but you have to pay for postage too :/ and you get decent 3D TV’s for a higher price.

22. Tonka

I don’t think either of the twins will lift a finger until Nintendo reveal what they have in store for the home console market. Since I also believe Nintendo won’t do another home console for a loong while if ever I don’t think we will see any new consoles within 5 years.

23. Patrick Garratt

@7 – That’s a really interesting question. I actually meant unit sales figures, but you’re right: as time goes on platform holders do make more money from hardware, which is why we’re seeing both MS and Sony aim for longer cycles this time. Microsoft’s problem will come when 360 inevitably drops out of the current gen “race”. As PS3 moves ahead and all the headlines starts reading, “360 hardware sales down 35% year on year,” etc, I believe we’ll see Microsoft move in the next machine.

But you’re right, yes. That’s why Sony keeps selling PS2, despite the fact both hardware and software sales decline hugely every quarter/FY.

24. OlderGamer

I hate to sound to much like, well, me – but I don’t think I care too much about the next gen.

Whats it going to offer?

More expensive hardware. Shinnier graphics? Motion controls? 3D? I mean what can the next gen offer that this gen can’t?

Toss in all of the dlc I already bought this gen. The complete need for 100% backwards compatibility(for games AND said DLC).

No thnx all I see is a mess.

I will stick with my PC. Starcraft II and Civ V this year. Steam this and every year. Diablo III a within a couple of years. The next MMO from Blizzard. I can be happy with that.

I am going to make a promise to myself not to get sucked in this time around. Wait and see what happens. No day purchasing. No midnite launches for preordered hardware. Lots to keep playing this gen. Lots of PC games.

So, let the new hardware chatter begin. Makes no nevermind to me.

…I wonder what the controllers will look like? Oh wait, that was outloud?

25. osric90

HAHAHAHAHA, please. 2015 or 16 will be the time… If new consoles were released in 2013 or 14, they would be like “what the hell? Almost nothing has changed!” Maybe Nintendo does, they need it, but Sony and Microsoft, well… At least Sony has good 6 or 7 years to go.

26. Patrick Garratt

@24 – You’re not the only one that’s not looking forward to a hardware swap. To be honest, though, last time was much easier than the PSone/PS2 transition. That really was horrible.

27. tenthousandgothsonacid

@Pat Next xbox has to have blu-ray, some devs are already struggling with the 360′s DVD limit, it’s only going to get worse.

The next gen after that I guess we’ll be into cloud, or at the very least entirely download, but the infrastructure’s not up to it yet.

28. Blerk

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Microsoft go with a proprietary disc format rather than put a Blu-Ray drive in. They’d like to go download-only, I’m sure, but I think it’s probably still too early to do that with a home console.

They’ll definitely go first, though. And Nintendo will be last again, mostly because they’ve got less need to jump and they’ll absolutely want the next machine to have a unique selling point again.

29. tenthousandgothsonacid

I reckon Move and Kinect will both tank which will hasten MS’s next console.

MS overhyped it with that Mylo smoke and mirrors rubbish and anyone who just wants waggle has bought it with a wii already.

30. mojo

14:
    cloud gaming makes gaming obsolete.

31. DrDamn

Last time I checked I don’t think Amazon charged £2000 for delivery :)

It’s a very nice set apparently, though it is true that for the large part it is the higher end TV’s which are currently supporting 3D. They are still some way off the £3000 you claimed though. Sony 40″ HX803 == £1800 and you can effectively get 2 pairs of glasses and the PS3 3D games thrown in for free. Panasonic 50″ Plasma includes a couple of pairs of glasses for £2300. Samsung have the biggest variety of sets the high end ones are still only around £1800.

It’s the sort of feature which technically fits more naturally in to the higher spec sets, early adopters will likely be looking for a higher spec set too. There is a variety of sets out there though, and within a couple of years it will sneak down the chain as just another feature on the check list of mainstream priced sets.

32. Nelius

I’m hoping that the next console from Microsoft extends functionality to computing. Basically an all-in-one system that can be used anywhere, in the lounge or the office. Entertainment and Productivity in one package.

On startup you can choose between Game, Media and Compute modes. Two methods for mode selection:
    1) Automatic disc detection that selects the relevent mode. If game disc is inserted it’s instantaeneously a game console. A DVD and it’s media player. A software disc and it boots into Windows.
    2) Manual selection after boot. If Game is chosen then you’re taken to a menu of stored games on the harddrive ready to play. If Media is chosen you’re taken to a library of stored content on the harddrive ready for viewing and listening. Compute takes you into Windows, where regular productivity software and the internet can be accessed.

Interfaces. The minimum boxed product should contain the console, a keyboard, a mouse, a gamepad and maybe a media remote/motion control stick. Full compatibility with 1080p resolution monitors and TVs. As for 3D, I don’t think it is a useful technology.

33. Nelius

I also have the same hope for Sony, if they can manage it. Maybe a variant of Ubuntu could even be used for their compute mode.

34. DrDamn

@Nelius
    I can’t see it extending to work just yet. They haven’t really convinced everyone of the full entertainment box angle yet so branching further out isn’t likely. I think further consolidation of the entertainment hub is likely from both Sony and MS.

35. LOLshock94

either way it will be a console which u will have to get off your arse and do. gaming is pretty much dead after 2014

36. StolenGlory

@26 – At least the hardware swap from PSOne to PS2 was made somewhat bareable (for me at least) by full backwards compatability.

*Glares at MS&Sony*

37. theevilaires

Just give me a new PSP. I don’t care for new hardware for another 5 years or so. It would be cool for once that the industry makes us wait an unusual long amount of time before releasing next gen consoles.

That way we’ll all be really pumped and way more excited. There’s still so much they can do with this gen. Be careful what you wish for guys it could be something you’re really not ready for yet.