Civilization V to ship with basic multiplayer, more on way

Friday, 25th June 2010 12:03 GMT By Joe Anderson

civ51

Civilization V producer Dennis Shirk has said the game will have “basic” multiplayer modes “out of the gate,” although he promised three more will follow.

Speaking in an E3 interview with ShackNews, Shirk said that user demand has dictated the addition of future modes.

“We’re going to have the [multiplayer] basics out of the gate,” he said. “About a month after release, we’re going to add Pitboss. Pitboss will be accompanied by two extraneous modes that we weren’t originally planning, but the fans keep asking for: play-by-mail and hot-seat.”

Multiplayer isn’t the only thing that will be bare bones to begin with.

“We’re not going to be shipping with matchmaking, but it’s something that everybody started asking for,” Shirk added.

“That is something we’re going to be looking to include with our package in the future.”

Civilization V is due for release on PC this September.

1. conk donk

They weren’t going to do hot-seat? It’s the only multiplayer Civ I play.

2. Hunam

Play-by-mail was almost scrapped!? Seems insane to omit that.

3. abbe

Simultaneous turns is the shit, don’t care about the rest but simultaneous turns are a must.

4. OlderGamer

The damn microtransaction crap is killing the games industry. With “basic” game functions, and all DLC to make the game “complete”, I wonder what the final price is going to be?

I am a huge Civ fan. I will pay way more for it then it I should have to. But I fee like I am getting ripped off. And there are only so many games I awill to bend over for. I come across a lot of games that i would have bought but once you factor in the DLC to get the full experience … the price was more then the game was worth.

Its no wonder second hand game sales are so high. Too bad PC games don’t have second hand game sales. They have torrant tho.

5. Old MacDonald

What? They weren’t originally planning hotseat? Sheesh. I’ve had so many hours of fun with Civ IV in hotseat mode it’s scary.

Quite disappointed it’s not in from the start, but ok, good to see it’ll be patched in.

6. OlderGamer

I smell paid DLC not so much a patch. Could be wrong thro.

7. Hunam

Selling DLC on a dedicated PC product isn’t really that easy, specially stuff like that. Blantent patch material.