Kojima asked for John Carpenter’s “blessing” to use Snake

Wednesday, 23rd June 2010 18:06 GMT By Joe Anderson

callmesnake

John Carpenter gave Hideo Kojima permission to use Kurt Russell’s character in Escape from New York as an inspiration for Solid Snake.

Speaking with CVG, Carpenter said the game creator wrote him a letter stating he wanted to use Snake Plissken as the basis for his hero in the Metal Gear solid series.

“[Hideo Kojima] has written me and asked me for my blessing on the game and I wrote him back [to say] ‘how about it?”, he said.

“He’s a very nice man.”

Interestingly, Kojima didn’t ask for permission until 10 years after the first game, with Ripten suggesting that the delay was likely due to Metal Gear’s introduction of voice acting, along with more detailed characters and story.

Hideo Kojima’s latest title, Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater, was announced at E3 for Nintendo’s 3DS, while Carpenter’s lending a hand with the story for F.E.A.R. 3.

More through the links.

1. spiderLAW

Nice!
    Kojima is a fan of the entertainment industry really.
    He also used a picture of Kyle Reese (forgot his real name) for the box art of the original Metal Gear game on the NES.

Its funny how he uses the character name Snake Plissken in MGS2 also. And clearly Big Boss is a spittin image of kurts snake character.

2. ivycrew707

Wow I never noticed that….he is a spittin image

3. spiderLAW

Yup. All he needs is the cobra tattoo and BAM!

4. ivycrew707

thats what I was thinking……didnt the games come out before the movie?

5. Bulk Slash

I guess Tappy forgot to write to Sviridov to ask if he could use “Winter Road” for MGS1… ;)

It’s a pity he ripped it off, the MGS games just aren’t the same without Harry Gregson Williams’ orchestration of that theme…

6. Phoenixblight

No Escape from New York was released in 1981. Metal NES was released in 87

7. Hunam

Snake didn’t really start looking like plisskin till MGS anyway.

8. ivycrew707

I guess I’m thinking bout that water movie with the other guy……lmao that sounds crazy……oh theres the post error

9. fdelfino

Kyle Reese is played by Michael Biehn in Terminator.

10. fdelfino

The movie is Waterworld with Kevin Costner.
    Dennis Hopper plays the vilan wering an eyepatch.

11. ivycrew707

LOL, yeah thats it, it was alot more recent and threw me off a little

12. spiderLAW

Thats right! thanks!

13. fdelfino

@11, 12

U r welcome. I’m kind of a movie fanatic and always had this ability to memorize useless information.

14. YoungZer0

@4: Hideo Kojima created a Time Paradox.