Miyamoto: MS and Sony motion devices are “threatening”

Thursday, 3rd June 2010 08:20 GMT By Patrick Garratt

move

Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto’s told Edge that Microsoft and Sony’s rush to motion with Natal and Move is “threatening” behaviour.

“Whenever something we have created and presented is followed by copies, we always feel it is threatening,” said the dev legend.

“More than that, we’re concerned that others are trying to do something similar for the sake of it. It’s not encouraging to Nintendo.”

The exec was answering a question on whether or not she saw parallels between the uptake of motion controllers and the “borrowing” of analog sticks in the PlayStation generation.

Both Natal and Move will release towards the end of this year, and both will feature heavily at E3 later this month.

Nintendo will show its latest hardware, 3DS, at the LA event.

1. sosaescobar

So basically they want a monopoly on motion control. Without competition a better product will never hit the market – Sony and MS are offering better products and if they take off – will leave Nintendo’s hardware trailing behind. They should be scared!!!

2. mathare92

The only way they’ll be “threatening” is with killer apps, and so far neither seem like having any.
    I’m a PS3 owner and I’m sorry to say that if Sony don’t bolster the software line-up they revealed at GDC, there’s no way I’m buying that thing-no matter how effing precise it is.

3. sennasnit

I too am a PS3 owner and I’m far more convinced by Move than Natal, maybe if i see something different to hand to ball Ricochet i may change my mind.

4. Erthazus

@2,3 Words.

5. Kerplunk

This is quite a different tone to Nintendo’s initial response of being “flattered” by the existence of Natal and Move.

6. mathare92

@4. Words? :S

7. ninjanutta

nintendo will have to do HD now or they will fade away again,Move is a HD version of Wii plus and if they nail the game line up it will swallow Wii,Imo.

8. Telepathic.Geometry

They should start looking at it as a threat. Especially considering how close Move is to the Wii experience.

9. Dralen

I’m definitely far more convinced by Sony’s Move than Natal. When I saw Jonathan Ross having a go with Natal, it just looked stupid. Although I probably won’t be getting either anyway.