Pachter: “Using DRM is Ubisoft’s right”

Sunday, 30th May 2010 10:13 GMT By Joe Anderson

pach01

Speaking in the latest version of his Gametrailers show Pach Attack, industry analyst Michael Pachter has said he agrees with Ubisoft’s decision to implement DRM into its PC games.

Asked if Ubisoft made a mistake by implementing the unpopular system, which requires a constant internet connection to play Ubi PC titles, Pachter said:

“I’m an old guy. I’m ethical and I’m a lawyer by trade. I feel if you steal a copy of a game by copying a friend’s file then it’s like going into the shop and stealing a copy. That’s how I feel about it. Please feel free to disagree.

“When a company sells you a game they have no problem if you resell it and someone else buys it and they have no problem if you give it away. If you make copies, though, it’s against the law. The guys that ran bittorrent are in jail: it is illegal.

“I think anything a publisher does to make sure you don’t rip off their games if their right, and I think that people who steal should be in jail. I welcome the flamer comments on this one; if you think that’s right good for you; we have no interest in your business since you don’t pay for stuff anyway.”

Ubisoft launched DRM for PC games in January 2010, requiring users to not only authenticate on the first game launch, but to remain online while playing.

This has caused some controversy, although Ubisoft says it is vital for its business if it’s to continue developing PC games.

The first PC games to support Ubi’s DRM were Assassin’s Creed II and Settlers 7.

1. Erthazus

“I feel if you steal a copy of a game by copying a friend’s file then it’s like going into the shop and stealing a copy.”

So if your friend wants to share with you, it is stealing?

PS: I agree with him, but it is dishonorable for a company to RIP OFF the consumer too.
    He don’t understand that purchasing DRM title you can’t play it somewhere without the internet. So basically you can’t use your copy to play.

He is absolutely wrong and don’t understand what is DRM, he know the details of it, but he don’t understand what DRM does to consumer that lives somewhere where is no internet.

2. Hurion

It’s their right. It’s also my right to boycott them for using it.

Also: “I’m ethical and I’m a lawyer by trade.”. Isn’t that an oxymoron?

3. mescalineeyes

I think Mr Pachter understood this question wrong.
    With all due respect to Ubisoft, and of course it’s well within their right to apply any sort of DRM to their product, but at the end of the day, most people today own portable computers, and when I’m on a train/plane and I want to get my Splinter Cell/Assassins Creed/Settlers on, and I can’t due to DRM even though I legally acquired the game, the fun stops.

4. Boris Fett

It *is Ubisoft right to apply their personal form of DRM to their games.

But if the sales of their PC ports are anything to go by, it’s clearly our right not to waste our money on them, and it’s clearly a right we’re acting on.

5. loki

LOL
    PC port Assassin’s Creed II fail and DRM cracked

6. AHA-Lambda

he didnt answer the bloody question >_>

7. Freek

@3, Exactly. Stopping piracy is only part of the equasion. How does the software effect legitimate buyers is just as important. And that’s something Ubisoft doesn’t care (enough?) about.

8. IL DUCE

The easy solution to this problem is just get a console…

@3. Just play non-DRM games on the train

@2. Yes, that is an oxymoron…lol

9. Hakkiz

There is something seriously wrong when piracy networks can offer better products than their original counterparts. Normally it’s the other way around.

10. Old MacDonald

Why is this posted as news? Seriously, you guys need to get over this infatuation you have with Pachter, Greenberg, Jaffe and all those other morons you post about day out and day in, and post some actual news instead. Oh, and while I’m in my Angry Internet Man-mood, would it kill you to post news about more than the same handful of big name games over and over again?

11. Joe_Gamer

So he rants about piracy without answering the question? why does this guy have a show? I’ve seen a few episodes and his show is really lame and uninformative, what do I care what some old, out of the loop, non PC gaming lawyer(lawyer for fucks sake) thinks about the industry, how bout talking to some people who are actually going to play the games.

12. Dralen

Yeah, it’s there right, but if they want poor sales that’s there problem.

13. mirumu

That’s the most naive commentary on piracy I’ve seen in a long time. Both factually flawed and rich in inconsistent hyperbole. A decent analyst wouldn’t comment on things they haven’t put much thought into.

14. DeSpiritusBellum

Ubisoft have been going down hill for quite a while now, and as long as people back up their righteous internet chatter with an actual boycot, they’re gonna go even lower.

@13 I don’t think you’ve seen a lot of analysts lately. They’re basically the financial worlds answer to sports commentators. Their only job requirement is to talk and keep talking. They don’t have to actually say anything intelligent.

It goes without saying that no one takes their tips from Pachter or any other babble-peddler on the mainstream news. They’re there to look informed for people who know fuck all.

15. blackdreamhunk

OH great the freaky freddy is back……I mean patcher! the guy is a retard

It is also my right not to buy them game. It is also my right to crack drm if I bought the game. Once I bought a game I expect it to work because I bought it.It is my right to play a game when ever and where ever I want, once I have bought the game!