Antoniades: Naughty Dog is “best console developer in the world”

Sunday, 30th May 2010 12:35 GMT By Joe Anderson

uncharted25

In a recent interview with Strategy Informer, Ninja Theory boss Tameem Antoniades has been dishing out the praise to Uncharted creator Naughty Dog.

“In terms of what we’re trying to achieve, I think both the studio and I have the highest admiration for those guys,” he said.

“They’re the best console developers in the world at the moment.”

While Antoniades places the Uncharted 2 team on the highest pedestal, timing meant Drake’s latest didn’t have much influence on the upcoming Enslaved.

“We were working on the game two years before Uncharted 2 came out, and by that point it was too late to [change] direction,” he said.

“It wasn’t like we were trying to copy them; our game’s got a totally different story, different characters, focused more on melee combat, and a different setting.”

You can read more on Antoniades’s thoughts from our recent interview with the developer.

Enslaved is being published by Namco Bandai and will be released this autumn for 360 and PS3.

1. azmza

Kojima still the best ^_^.

2. Erthazus

@1 +1

3. mescalineeyes

you know what, this might actually be the truth.

Uncharted 2 might not be MY favorite game, but from an objective point of view, it’s probably the most well made one there is.

4. DaMan

yeah, he merely means they can develop the most well crafted product.

5. Redh3lix

@1 -1

6. Boris Fett

@1 -1

Kojima writes hackneyed, pretentious, pseudo-intellectual stories running on game engines that are years out of date and feel like throw-backs to a time when developers didn’t know any better.

Naughty Dog creates immersive, industry standard setting engines that pretty much define the bar by which all other developers would aspire to reach.

7. Erthazus

@6 “running on game engines that are years out of date ”

Since when Kojima Productions used outdated engine? For each game they use propreitary engine designed specifically for each game that uses Top notch animation., top notch shaders that consoles can’t go further and amazing textures.
    Even to this day Metal Gear solid 4 looks like a Next Generation title.

“Kojima writes hackneyed, pretentious, pseudo-intellectual stories”

that you don’t understand. Thats it.

8. OlderGamer

I gotta go with 1 – 1 too.

Truth be said JP on the whole is behind this gen. Even the best JP houses are a half step behind. One look at SQE and you can see what I mean. MGS 4? Nice cut scenes. But great cut scenes, don’t a great game make.

Naughty Dog the best? In the world? I would say they are in the hunt, you could make a case for that.

9. Moonwalker1982

Don’t agree at all. Sure Uncharted I and II are great and the Jak & Daxter games too. But IMO not the best console developer. I’d probably say Rockstar personally.

10. Mike

He’s wrong.

11. Aimless

He’s not “wrong”. It’s a value judgement.

12. Boris Fett

@7 I understand the stories just fine. The amount of time I have put into analysising them is what has helped me form my opinion of Hideo Kojima’s completely over-rated “talent”

13. poopoofruit

I kind of agree with ND being best developer. I don’t know what to say, but they’re one of the best not the one and only best. Uncharted 1 and 2 were amazing games, especially 2 and to other people saying kojima is the best I have to agree with that too. But I never understood the stories of MGS I just liked sneaking around and camo, the graphics were a huge plus.
    Its just that uncharted 2 is there for every one. Metal Gear is for people that have patience to understand the story since the cut scenes are basically TV episodes. And everything has a background story. Uncharted 2′s story is just easily understandable. There’s a huge treasure your after and there’s other bad guys after it too, its a race of who gets there first, easy.
    If I’m wrong about MGS or Uncharted 2, correct me.

14. DaMan

he isn’t saying it’s “the best game”, that would be a silly thing to state. he’s saying it’s the most well crafted game.

MGS is pretty much for everyone. just look at it’s sales, ffs. Splinter Cell isn’t for everyone.

15. The Hindle

In my opinion Uncharted 2 is the best game this generation but to say ND are the best console developer hmm thats tough as they create games in a certain genre. Its unfair to compare say Bungie and ND as both do compleatly different genres.

16. The Hindle

wrong thead.

17. DaMan

erm.. more like the other way around. you can’t say a tps is better than a racing game or a fighting. yet you can say which dev is more qualified.

18. manamana

Do I smell some kinda Championship?
    Starting with Gamedeveleopers to name their favorite overall and most completed Gamedeveloper.
    Next Gamers the name one.
    Then we need categories like: best action, most innovative, best art and soon …
    In the end we’ll have several topten rankings.
    With trophys and Champaign.

But … who really cares …

19. asdfasdf

@1 +10000

20. The Hindle

So you compare ND to Bungie? even though they both make totally different genres and have totally different aims. There is no real best console developer really as all of them are masters at thier craft.

21. DaMan

er, I compare their coders/artists/etc. their tech and art (modelling).

and ie what ND made tech wise is ahead.

22. The Hindle

Ahh yea thats true thier tech is way ahead

23. DaMan

um, well you do get it now I guess.

24. asdfasdf

My top 3 games this gen are made in JPN and they did not use the out-date unreal engine 3 or a generic shooter.
    MGS4
    demons souls
    Valkyria Chronicles

25. The Hindle

Id have to agree with the Taneem come to think of it ND are the best developer there is at the moment. Uc 2 is such a great game. Id also argue that Jpn is far from behind. Nintendo are selling millions and millions of games at the moment.

26. asdfasdf

super mario galaxy 2 is the hight rated game of all time.
    Made in JPN.

27. JPickford

The Naughty Dog games are incredibly well made. Personally I’m not a massive fan of these linear ‘play through this expensive content’ type of game. The actual game mechanics are fairly mundane and just spiced up with elaborate set pieces.

28. JPickford

The two Mario Galaxy games are the most impressive things I’ve seen for technical flair and gameplay inventiveness. Obviously they don’t tick the storytelling box.

29. Herlock

@asdfasdf
    Good taste, Demon’s Souls is the best game ever made and its not about Tech, but gameplay, innovative online etc…, and so oldshool, remind me that video game is (and was)!
    I also love ND for the opposit!

30. theevilaires

@5&6 -100

MGS4 still stands up to any 360 game to date LMAO! :D

@1 +1,000,000

but anyway Naughty Dog are elitist and anyone developing any game on the PS3 need to be ashamed of themselves when they fall short of matching Naughty Dog’s greatness.

31. Malmer

Hmm…I played Uncharted 2, and it was a good game with nice tech, but in terms of overall experience Alan Wake blows it completely out of the water.

32. theevilaires

Malmer….you’re on crack :P

33. sennasnit

Yeah sorry Malmer, but i have to say you’re well wide of the mark, in fact you can’t even see the mark. The mark is just a dot to you. Alan Wake will not win the same awards that UC2 did last year, no where near.

34. Withnail

Alan Wake :D

35. SniperWolf

@31 lol
    please leave it to the big boys ok

36. threadzilla

ND rules

37. Mike

Don’t worry malmer. None of them have played Alan Wake. :)

38. theevilaires

Actually yes I have Mike….and we all know you are already on crack so your opinion doesn’t matter :D

39. Johnny Cullen

Alan Wake > Uncharted 2.

I went there.

40. theevilaires

We’ll I’m not going there cause I’m not on drugs like you three :D

41. Erthazus

I just finished Alan Wake on my friends xbox 360. Need to return it and what can i say.
    Thank god that i didn’t bought xbox 360 with this game, i really wanted that game because it’s kinda like atmosphere european style game. I loved Max Payne. (still going to purchase one when Gears will come out)

So…

First two chapters were interesting, after that it is only repetitive and the story is just completely blows my mind. I mean not the story is bad, it’s interesting but the dialogs. The horror. Driving sequences? Whats the point in them if there is no speed, drive… It’s just a coffin on the road.

Locations? Beautiful forest, beautiful forest, beautiful forest, beautiful forest, beautiful forest, beautiful forest, beautiful forest, beautiful forest, beautiful forest, beautiful forest well you understand me what i’m talking about. Interesting locations? 1-2 for all the game.

Shooting mechanics? Flashlight is interesting by 1-2 chapters after that it is just a toy.

I would say even that: If Alone in the Dark had good story with solved bugs, then Alan Wake could be just a worldwide disaster.
    If someone saying that Alan Wake is better then Uncharted 2 or any other TPS game then he is seriously on drugs or started playing horror games yesterday. It is not a bad game and it is not a good game at all.