Nier was originally a 360 exclusive

Sunday, 23rd May 2010 17:53 GMT By Joe Anderson

neir

During an interview with Japanese website Inside Games, Square Enix EP Yosuke Saito has said that Cavia’s Nier was originally exclusive to Xbox 360.

The translation isn’t perfect, but the developer said that the game originally started out on Xbox 360. The decision to make a PS3 version came later.

Saito added there were difficulties “in implementing a multi-platform deployment, during the early part of the build.”

The PS3 version went on to sell around 105,000 copies in Japan, reaching seventh in the charts.

The Xbox 360 version failed to breach the top 50.

Nier is available worldwide now.

Thanks, The Silent Chief.

1. Mike W

This game was really bad, it’s the worst $60 I ever paid for.

2. Gekidami

It was probably meant to follow in the footsteps of the other Square 360 exclusive RPG’s released this gen. But i’m guessing they had a change of heart, probably because of the weak sales on 360 in Japan (and from what i remember they sold pretty poorly everywhere else to).

3. Syrok

I’m still very much tempted by this.

4. Mike W

@Syrok:

Don’t do it bro, unless you have 60 dollars to waste.

5. NiceFellow

Why titles like this were ever considered for 360 exclusive is beyond me. They simply can’t sell as well on that platform and it pretty much means a low Japanese potential, particularly since the PS3 finally found it’s feet in the region.

I’m not saying they should be exclusive to PS3 either, clearly titles like this pretty much need to be multi-platform to have a decent chance at making some money.

6. desiredtime

I have it on the PS3. I’ve played it for about 6 hours, which I’ve enjoyed, so it being an 360 exclusive at the start hasn’t really effect me.

7. DaMan

I’ve played the demo from JP marketplace, combat is very repetitive indeed, it makes GoW feel like NG or something :|.. then again, it ‘s more of an rpg, guess it should be compared to titles like Witcher. the visuals are terrible btw, magic spell effects are on the level of PSOne games.

as an exception I’m still definetely trying this one, I want to see what the guys who made Drakengard did story-wise. but I guess the game they were trying to make was way too ambitious for such a small studio.

8. SplatteredHouse

Don’t sleep on this one. If you’re looking to get Nier, then don’t hold back – it has lots to offer and enjoy.

9. kutsurogu

I’m with SplatteredHouse – personally I loved it. It’s not meant to be a God of War or Ninja Gaiden clone, so the combat is (more than) perfectly acceptable for an action RPG.

Story is great. Characters are great. Tone is great. Soundtrack is amazing. It’s really polarised people. I never thought I’d say this, but Kotaku’s review really encapsulated it perfectly for me. Yeah, I know. I _feel_ dirty.