Iwata: 3DS is not a “formal name”

Tuesday, 11th May 2010 09:08 GMT By Patrick Garratt

3dwoman

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said that the recently-announced 3DS’s named isn’t set in stone.

“”Since we’ve stated that it will go on sale during the present term,” he said, answering investor questions after the release of full-year figures last week.

“I think the formal name will be made public in the not so distant future.”

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out the 3DS “plan” is to be outlined in full at E3 in June.

The handheld has been confirmed to be launching before March 31 next year. Rumours have put it down for a 2010 release.

3DS is the next evolution of DS, and will allow 3D gaming without the need for special glasses.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. mington

so will 100% of the games on this thing be in 3D? Or is it just a feature that everyone’s jumped on.

They might call it the: Game Man (natural progression innit)

2. Gekidami

Apparently the 3D can be disabled whenever you want so i guess every game is in 2D being ‘upscaled’, if you will.

3. Blerk

I’m very interested to see what this actually is. I get the idea it’s going to either be shit or genius, and nothing in between.

4. one million

I’d expect this thing to make old DS games 3D as well, at least some of them. It’s not even that hard, there’s an app on PC that makes all directx games display in anaglyph 3d. Will need to be twice as powerful as the DS, but that shouldn’t be a problem either.

OR they can just re-release old games with 3D support and minor enhancements. Seems more like Nintendo to me.

5. Gekidami

I expect it’ll look abit like THIS.

6. Dannybuoy

I think we can definitely rule out ‘Gem’ and ‘Arc’ :-)