Oddworld games still coming to PC in 2010

Saturday, 24th April 2010 21:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

oddworldthing

Oddworld Inhabitants founder, Lorne Lanning, has posted on the series’ forum that Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee and Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath, are still coming to PC, it’s just taking longer than the team thought to create the port.

Especially for Stranger’s Wrath, apparently.

“Stranger has proven much more difficult as we really pushed some rendering aspects on the Xbox and bringing that over to DirectX is a bit of voodoo,” he wrote.

All four Oddworld titles are still slated for Steam this year, he wrote, and all will include Steam Achievements.

As long as the titles look good, we can remain patient. We’re just happy they’re coming.

Thanks, BigDownload.

1. sennasnit

I want all games for PS3!!!!
    well not Oddysee or Exoddus, as they’re coming to PSN.
    But the 2 original xbox ones, yes please…

2. Phoenixblight

Munch’s Oddysee will not be hitting Ps3 as MS is the Publisher. So Unless Oddworld paid MS for the rights very unlikely you will see that hit the PS3.

3. Zarckan

Odd retained ALL rights if memory served

4. Phoenixblight

Nope MS published the game which gives them the rights to do what they want with the game. You are better off just getting the Steam Package.

5. Aimless

Err, unless you happen to have the publication agreement in front of you I’m not sure how you purport to know that, Phoenixblight.

Not to say that I think the games will come to PS3. It would be an awful lot of work for likely very little reward.

6. Phoenixblight

Name a game that Microsoft has published that went on any Sony system.

7. Aimless

There’s Braid and Castle Crashers. Likewise Microsoft have no hold over the original Mass Effect or Gears of War, despite having published both.

The point is that you can’t say for certain unless you’re privy to the details of the agreement.

8. Phoenixblight

Actually they do have hold on the Mass Effect series that deal was made when EA bought Bioware.

Gears of War isn’t on Ps3. Not sure why you brought that up?
    Castle Crashers was publshed by Sony aswell as Microsoft.

9. Aimless

EA owns the Mass Effect IP. Is there a timed exclusivity deal in place? Probably, otherwise the second would likely have appeared on PS3 day and date, but Microsoft, despite having published the first game in the series, does not own it.

I brought up Gears of War because, again, Microsoft do not own the IP. If Epic really wanted to they could put the series on PS3, but I doubt it’s worth their while given their advantageous relationship with Microsoft.

This is really very simple: the details of a publishing deal are hammered out on a case by case basis, your sweeping statement will not always hold true. I see no reason to expound upon this further, I’m sure everyone else reading this can recognise you’re just being stubborn.

10. Phoenixblight

“As for Castle Crashers… well, how did you address that point? I gave you exactly what you asked for, a game published by Microsoft that’s appearing on a Sony system.”

Again that game was published by Behemoth, Microsft and Sony.

Mass Effect comment has been stated time and time again in the forums that the series will not be going on the PS3 stated from the producers and developers. Straight from the horses mouth.

11. Keivz

I can see the point Phoenixblight is trying to make: no game published by MS has appeared on a rival console or vice versa so that at least sets a precedent–unless you count Ninja Gaiden II/Sigma II, heh.

It’s clear that MS doesn’t own the IPs given as examples and a different game/sequel than the one that appeared on the original console may be possible, if not the same game.

12. Aimless

This isn’t how I envisioned spending my Sunday morning… Look, Phoenixblight is saying there’s no way Munch’s Odyssey could appear on PS3 because Microsoft published it. All I was pointing out is that publishing a game does not necessarily mean that a publisher owns the rights to that content indefinitely, so unless he happened to be privy to the exact details of said game’s publishing contract there’s no cause to come across so authoritatively.

Incidentally, given that Oddworld Inhabitants are releasing the game via Steam, using its Achievements system and not GFWL, it’s fairly safe to say that Microsoft have nothing to do with the port. Ergo…

It’s a moot point anyway, the game won’t be coming to PS3 because it wouldn’t be worth the effort. I just found it bizarre that Phoenixblight could stand by his point whilst openly admitting to a complete contradiction to his original premise.

13. Zarckan

@Phoenixblight Whatever I know the score, and so might you :)

14. Old MacDonald

Yeah, Aimless is right. There’s no way for anyone outside these companies to know what the deals were, and people are far too quick to jump to conclusions that X published Y, therefore X has such and such rights to Y.

Anyway, certainly looking forward to seeing if these games turn out well on the PC. I seem to remember that Stranger’s Wrath got a less than enthusiastic response on the Xbox. But if the price is right I’m interested.

15. Blerk

I don’t want the old ones, I want them to make a brand new Oddworld game in the style of the original Abe’s Oddysee for XBLA/PSN.