Yamauchi: How we put the Top Gear test tack into Gran Turismo 5

Wednesday, 21st April 2010 21:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

kazy

Gran Turismo mastermind Kazunori Yamauchi has detailed the process involved in adding the test track from Top Gear into GT5.

Speaking with Top Gear over on the official website, Yamauchi said he wanted to include the show’s track because the program is “funny and interesting”.

“We had a helicopter [to map the track] taking aerial photographs of the circuit, and had ground crews taking photos and measurements of the track all the way around,” he said. “It took about three to four days to finish the whole thing”.

The man himself even tried driving the track, but had to eventually settle in with the Stig to get a proper feel for it.

“I tried driving it myself, but it’s really hard to find the driving line,” he admitted. It’s so wide that it becomes difficult to find markers and visual points. It was only after I sat with the Stig as a passenger that I finally realized where all the turn-in points and the correct driving lines were”.

Hopefully, this bit of fun will not cause Kaz to get too angry when the game is finished.

It’s out on PS3 sometime this year.

1. Erthazus

Yamauchi face represents the future, when GT5 will be released.

Interesting… How much content will be in Gt5 overall…

2. joshua nash

but will it have the stig?

3. theevilaires

this game will be on a 200GB Blu-ray disc :D

4. Goliath

Who the hell is The Stig? When are they gonna finally reveal who he is?!

5. Harry

Alas not news. This has been known for quite some time. I think it was announced alongside news of the game’s video channels.

6. cookiejar

Surely we’ll get the date at E3?

And I don’t mean E3 2015… I hope.

7. Whizzo

Not exactly news as the TG track being in the game has been known for a few years!

8. DrDamn

@Harry
    October 2007 to be precise … http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gt5-signs-deal-with-top-gear

Edit … Damn you Whizzo! ;)

9. Razor

Well it’s nice to see it reconfirmed, so to speak.

10. onlineatron

I need to post this

Best advert ever!

11. Whizzo

Damn you Whizzo! ;)

I even had the second comment in that link! :-D

12. Bulk Slash

Cool! This is the first I’ve heard of this, and is now my number one reason to buy the game. I hope it’s possible to drive the same car they use for “Star in a Reasonably Priced Car”.

13. Monk

if you joking, thats ok :) .
    but if you serious, then the stig is Micheal Schumacher.

14. onlineatron

@Monk

That was merely a pr stunt, it’s not truly him… Don’t you think Top Gear producers would have touted having such a famous face in their show since the beginning?

15. mykem

This news is like 3 years old: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/24/top-gear-test-track-to-appear-in-gran-turismo-5/

16. Dannybuoy

The stig is a few people. but one is an F1 test driver. I know for a fact as my bother in law worked with his girlfriend

17. Gekidami

18. Patrick Garratt

I’ve edited it slightly.

19. Gadzooks!

News is 3 years old, as was the expiry date for my interest in GT5.

Release it, don’t release it, couldn’t give a damn anymore. If it’s anything like the GT academy demo then Forza pisses all over it anyway.

20. robmlufc

The Stig is Ben Collins, he used to race in sports cars i dont know where he is racing at the moment! Its been common knowledge since the Hamsters big crash. He was named in the Health and Safety report thats public, its on the internet somewhere.

21. Cort

Actually The Stig has never been one person. Collins was one of many, another was Kovaleinen (while he was based ten miles away at McLaren). One big clue was how he changed height and shape slightly through a series.