CV for former SCEE staffer shows unannounced Wipeout project for PS3

Wednesday, 24th March 2010 12:58 GMT By Johnny Cullen

wipeouthdfury1b

Before Sony had a worldwide restructure, which seen a fair bit of layoffs at Studio Liverpool, the developer had a Wipeout project in development for PS3.

The CV of former studio employee, Martin Linklater, shows an “Unannounced Wipeout Project” for PS3, which is separate from Wipeout HD.

His resume also shows a “Unannounced Action Project” for PS3 and an unannounced platform, which also mentions at the time “un-announced hardware”. That hardware could turn out to be PlayStation Move.

Linklater now has a position at Bizarre Creations since the layoffs at Studio Liverpool.

We’ve asked SCEE for comment.

Thanks, Siliconera.

1. Gheritt White

Homina homina homina – nothing’s ever come close to the joys of Wipeout 2097 in terms of racing. Even the N64 versions was fucking mint.

2. Sini

Sony, your Kevin Butler commercials have become slightly less entertaining. RIP wipeout.

3. OlderGamer

If floaty controls, ping pong balling off of narrow tracks, and “futureistic” vehicale combat is what you mean by racing then sure.

4. Retroid

Oh you bastards, Sony.

I loved Wipeout HD :’(

5. daytripper

wipeout force the project was called, i’ll ask to see if the project is still being developed or flushed down the shitter

6. Erthazus

People relax. Wipeout is not going anywhere. Its just Sony kicked off people who screwed around.

7. Robo_1

I was sad to hear of the mass lay offs at studio Liverpool. Psygnosis had a rich heritage behind them, and with games like Wipeout, they pretty much made Sony in Europe.

That said, I was consistently amazed that Sony managed to steer their SCE operations through their recent losses without shedding some weight at their substantial worldwide studios. I can only assume that they did what they did at Studio Liverpool (which does still exist in a diminished capacity as far as I know) because it made the most sense.

Sad times though, and I hope the folks who were effected by lay-offs find new jobs quick enough. I imagine programmers with expert knowledge of the PS3 will be highly valued by third party studios.

8. DrDamn

@OlderGamer
    “floaty controls”

Almost like you are controlling something which is floating?

9. OlderGamer

@8 ;)

Now that you mention that, it does seem to fit.

10. Armitage

I was gutted to hear of the layoffs at Studio Liverpool. One of the most talented developers in the world, with a long history. Wipeout HD is one of my favourite games of all time. I hope all those affected have found jobs, or find work soon, and that those that remain are working on this unannounced Wipeout game.

11. AGSystemsFan

har har looks like he changed his linked in profile, wonder if sonys legal boys took the stick to him

12. xino

i hate the recession and layoffs man!

people can’t still get a job!:/