First PoP: The Forgotten Sands gameplay video arrives

Monday, 8th March 2010 17:22 GMT By Patrick Garratt

popsands4

Ubi’s released the first gameplay footage of Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands. Hit the link.

The game’s set between Sands of Time and Warrior Within, and it’s built on the Assassin’s Creed engine. It’s looking great, to be fair, and features the same controls and move-set from Sands of Time.

Take a look. The console versions will ship alongside the upcoming Jake Gyllenhaal movie in May.

The PC version took a slight slip recently, and will hit in June.

1. Moonwalker1982

Hell yeaaah, but what the hell..the prince looks..kinda chubby? He’s not the prince from SOT.

2. Alakratt

Ubisoft exec: “Oh no! the new PoP isn’t selling well!! Crap, then let’s go back to what DOES sell!!”

Ubi employee: “…and that is?”

Ubi exec: “The Sands of Time trilogy!!”

Ubi employee: “But isn’t the PoP movie going to be based on that? Aren’t gamers gonna think it’s based on the movie?”

Ubi exec: “No! Of course not! We need to milk the hell outta that formula, we can’t innovate!! I…ahem…we need the money!! And it better be ready for May!!”

Ubi employee: “But isn’t the movie coming out in..” *exec interrupts* “STFU!! YOU’RE FIRED!!”

3. Eregol

Hmm, floaty jumping and an odd ability to cling to ice that should be slippery.

Very very odd.

4. AHA-Lambda

About time we saw gameplay it’s out in may ffs!

5. SplatteredHouse

This looks very promising. A return to more Sands of Time-time gameplay definitely won’t have me complaining. I’m a little cautious about the element thing, but I think that will turn out to be no concern, in the end.

6. satsugai

Now this is more like it, not that japanese anime inspired tosser from the previous game.

7. Michael O’Connor

Okay, I’ll… begrudgingly admit… that water running thing was cool.

8. AHA-Lambda

for something coming out at the same time as the movie AND having no media until now I must say i am SURPRISINGLY impressed :O

9. YoungZer0

@Alakratt: Hate to interrupt your stupidity but the last PoP did sell well and Ubisoft was actually sitting on Forgotten Sands before the last PoP was released.

Anyway, game looks good, but the look of the prince feels wrong. Very wrong.

10. Dralen

Very nice, I am sooooo glad they have gone back to the original Prince and story. The last game didn’t feel right at all.

11. endgame

omg that guyot guy, sooo gay. really the french need to grow some ballz. and i’m onlu talking about the french guys here. french women r perfect just the way they r. :)

12. Blerk

That looks pretty good, actually. The prince looks a bit weird, but everything else seems fine. Fingers crossed for a return to form!

13. Edward Cullen

The Prince looks…different?.. It’s not the same prince on SoT.. But I think the gameplay was good.

14. FeaturePreacher

Hopefully Ubisoft will give more control to the player this time instead of making some moves feel automatic and have a massive amount of varied combat maneuvers among enemies nearly as strong or possibly even stronger than him. I wouldn’t mind seeing the ceiling run make a return though. Here’s hoping for projectile deflection.

15. JonFE

Just watched the video myself and I think it *does* look much better than I feared (with the movie coming out and the return to the SoT trilogy).

Ever since Sands of Time, all PoP games (including the latest one) so far have been entertaining for me and hopefully this won’t be an exception.