Splinter Cell on PS3? Maybe, says Ubisoft

Tuesday, 2nd March 2010 11:04 GMT By Johnny Cullen

splintercellconviction

Ubisoft’s Max Beland has said Splinter Cell will probably end up coming to PS3 and other platforms after the release of Conviction in April.

Since the start of this generation, only two games in the series has appeared – Double Agent and Conviction – with the former coming to 360 first, before heading to PS3 and Wii at a later date.

But Conviction is a fully-fledged exclusive on Xbox 360 and PC, with no release planned for other consoles.

Despite that, Beland reckons future SC titles will be coming to PS3. Just don’t hedge any bets on Conviction jumping ship.

“I joined Splinter Cell after the exclusivity deal with Microsoft had already been signed, but there’s no reason why Splinter Cell couldn’t be on the PS3,” he told Edge.

“Conviction? No, because of the exclusivity deal. I know people keep talking about maybe, maybe not, [but] at Ubisoft Montreal I haven’t seen anyone working on PS3 for Conviction.

“If Microsoft wants an exclusivity deal, they don’t call me, it’s Yves [Guillemot, Ubisoft CEO] dealing with the business people. But yeah, I guess we could even be a PS3 exclusive if there’s a deal that makes people happy there.”

Splinter Cell: Conviction is due for release on April 13 in the US, and April 16 in the UK for 360 and PC.

1. Blerk

Translation: “GIVE US YOUR MONEYS!”

:-D

2. daytripper

is their any point owning a ps3 and 360 anymore? i hear mass effect is coming to sonys machine later this year aswell.

3. Blerk

Well, there have been rumours. But that’s all they are at the minute, and in much the same way as the MGS4 on 360 rumours were present but ultimately turned out to be nothing, they might evaporate at any moment.

4. dirigiblebill

There are pretty much two kinds of producer/project lead on this God’s Earth. Those who, when asked whether a game will go multi-plat, say: “It’s possible.” And those who, when asked the same question, say: “No.” And the really great thing about these two types is that they are ACTUALLY THE SAME PERSON.

5. daytripper

yeah i remember the MGS4 360 rumours, it was more fanboys fuelling that though than any journalisim from what I remember, went on for months and got on my nerves.

i’m all for people to play the better franchises on their chosen system but i usually always own more than one console in a generation and i’m starting to think is it really worth it with exclusives not really being exclusive apart from say Halo or Uncharted.

6. Zarckan

Oh look…

There’s a surprise! NOT!

7. SunKing

@daytripper

No, becuase there’s a fairly even split between 360/PS3 fanbases, which means most developers/publishers can’t afford to go exclusive on one console. The ones that do tend to either be owned or have long-standing agreements with Microsoft and Sony.

At this point, there’s not much in it between either console, though that may change two years down the line.

8. McLovin85

This is the first exclusive i’m genuinely gutted that is not coming to PS3. Massive fan of SC series. Will try and play a bit of it at a mates house.

9. Eregol

Colour me unsurprised and unexcited.

Never wanted it, never really bothered by it.

And I think it’s a general consensus now that platform exclusives from third parties are not fiscally viable, unless the console maker was funding it in some way (looks sideways at MS).

10. NiceFellow

Well, at least that was clear and confirms exclusive arrangement with MS, no doubt paid for in some fashion.

I wish all developers simply said it like this – we have a deal with so and so that covers this but beyond that anything’s possible.

I hate all the it’s exclusive, oh wait, we meant it’s timed, etc. nonsense. Pisses me right off as a consumer.

Also, it’s pretty clear that so far PS3/360, a few key exclusives aside, are more like DVD players, offering pretty much the same features to play pretty much the same games as DVD players do for films.

11. SunKing

I hate the whole “Oops, we meant timed” thing. It’s intentionally misleading people, pure and simple.

12. Goliath

@ SunKing

He clearly states Conviction’s exclusivity. With regards to future games in the franchise; platforms will be based solely on business, which is a decision he is not a part of.

13. ianbenoir

I hate ubisoft games.

14. NoxNoctisUmbra

I remember original Xobx should be the home console for SC, yet somehow they always ended up on the PS2, even gamecube.. so no wonder.. Xbox only has a timed exclusive. If SONY wants to dominate Xbox, they will pay UBISOFT big BUCKS so that they copy the game on PS3 as well add extra content and better graphics.

15. GwynbleiddiuM

Apparently game developers and publishers found away to keep things going around, it pretty much reminds me oh the latest How I Met Your Mother episode, they keep their boyfriends on the hook, duh!