Sony warns not to connect to PSN with “any consumer units”

Monday, 1st March 2010 17:36 GMT By Patrick Garratt

psnlogo

Sony has just issued a stark warning against connecting any PS3 to PSN on its DevNet.

Said the firm on the developer-only resource just now: “We would also recommend not connecting any consumer units to the PSN to the network for the remainder of today.”

The note is the latest in a horror day for Sony, in which first-gen PS3s on a global level were struck with a clock bug that prevented them from connecting to PSN and put them at risk of Trophy data failure.

SCEE has just issued a consumer-facing statement on the matter, confirming the issue is related to the machine’s clock and saying it hopes to have matter resolved within 24 hours.

The DevNet line is in contrast to the statement, which merely warns, “If you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.

“As mentioned above, please be advised that the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error.”

For a full run-down on the day’s events, hit this.

1. Droid

Sounds like a lot of bricked units in the next few days… :)

2. Aimless

I’m fairly sure all debug PS3s are of the fat variety, so there would be no need for them to make a distinction.

3. KAP

Shit. This is deep. You’d thnk its the end of the world of suttin. Those with bricked PS3 will have to ACTUALLY go outside OOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo….. ooooohhhh nooooo!!!

4. theevilaires

how can they fuck up so badly when they had the torch and are around the corner of the most epic game this year GOW3.

Someone please tell me how this happened, will the same thing happen to M$ with Natal? The end of the world may be here sooner than later people.

5. Gekidami

“Bricked PS3′s”? Wha…?

6. daytripper

i’ve got my xbox here anyway, if that fails i might actually talk to someone

7. theevilaires

Seriously, Kaz Harai deserves to be stoned to death. He is a shame to Sony PlayStation and this shit would have never happened if Kuturagi was still in power…..man I fucking hate Kaz Harai.

8. Gekidami

Individually programmed the early PS3 models did he?

9. Alakratt

@ TEA

I agree with you man. This would’ve never happened with Kuturagi.

10. Aimless

Surely the real irony of tea’s statement is that it’s only the early models — i.e. the ones created under Kutaragi’s reign — that have gone tits up. My Hirai-era slim works just fine.

11. MushroomStamp

:) Talk about shooting yourself in the foot and losing whatever tiny bit of momentum you might of had… This is will be all over the news and hurt sales big for the month.

12. Gekidami

:D

13. theevilaires

Not funny Gek, Fuck your Kaz PS3 slim Aimless….you just started something now. You’ve now divided the PS3 up into factions in this console war.

PS3 Fat
    PS3 Slim
    Xbox360

PS3 FAT FTW!!!!!!!!!

14. Alakratt

I think they wanted to say: “As mentioned above, please be advised that the new slim PS3s, available in stores everywhere for $299, are not affected with this error.”

@ Aimless

But I think TEA means that Kaz intentionally (not programmed, but ordered) aimed this error code at the BC models. Just hope that you’re Slim lasts as long as my PS2 lasted (it still lives FYI).

15. The Hindle

:) Ps3 slim fanboys suck

16. Alakratt

If I were a paranoid prick I would say that Kaz (or/and the other higher ups at Sony) wanted this to happen so that people would get the BC-less Slim models. So that if those people still wanted to play PS2 games, they would have to buy a PS2. Hence, more money for them. Obviously this is just in case I’m a paranoid prick…but it kinda makes sense.

17. Gekidami

OMG!

18. Aimless

I used to have a 60GB, but alas it succumbed to the YLOD.

I’m on my seventh 360, too. Curse you, lead-free solder!

19. Alakratt

@ 17

Damn right!

20. theevilaires

You hit the nail on the head Alakratt. This was an order of execution by Kaz Harai himself. A fucking new redesign so quick in the PS3′s early life span for what. For this people, this is why. I don’t think I can ever trust Sony again after this. They have to do something so out of left field great for me to ever get excited about anything they do from here on out.

These fuckers just stepped all over my child hood memories by trying to whack us day 1 loyal customers who bought their PS3′s for full B/C with all PlayStation software spanning 3 generations.

21. Zarckan

Shut up bitching, it’ll be all fixed when you wake up tomorrow ;)

22. itsucks

It Only Does Nothing. BOOM!

23. daytripper

24. Gekidami

TEA dosnt sleep, its when you sleep that the government clown assassins come in their black, unmarked helicopters and steal your thoughts.

25. Goliath

@ theevilaires

Dude, you really need to calm down. You’ve been going off on Sony for the past couple days and it may be justified but dude, is it worth getting a tumor over? Just chill and let them fix the problem.

26. DaMan

fuck yeah, Zarckan! because Sony said so!

27. Gekidami

Well, if you dont trust Sony to fix it then do it yourself:

28. theevilaires

and what if its not fixed by tomorrow then what. I remember Sony saying that damn ARC was going to be out this spring….now that’s fall. what if the only fix is that the PS2 chips have to be disabled forever now.

I’m a day 1 buyer dammit I deserve to be treated better than this. I want my money back!

29. Alakratt

@ TEA

I know it’s not the “cool thing” to believe conspiracies, but ..well…this kinda makes a lot of sense.

Dude, when (and if) this shit doesn’t brick our PS3s add me on PSN. ID: Alakratt

30. daytripper

@28 you deserve nothing.

31. theevilaires

I hope you lose your trophies daytripper. I hope all that time you put in goes to waste. I don’t sync my trophies for competition reasons and I have 12 platinum games ready for syncing to put me past the guy I’m going up against. If that data is now corrupted Sony HQ will have its own 9/11.

32. Aimless

Wait, people are actually being serious with the conspiracy angle?

Maybe this really is the apocalypse, apparently humanity needs to die.

33. zoopdeloop

OMG TEA will you ever stop?
    you are over exaggerating.Conspiracies and mumbo jumbo. with all these things and conspiracies your saying and if it gets fixed by it’s own after 12 i would be very ashamed to show my face here if i were you.How old are you?have some patience and don’t jump to your own imaginary conclusions

34. theevilaires

No that’s it, from this day forward its all XBOX360. this would have never happened if Kuturagi was still in power. I will never play another PlayStation console after this day. If anyone is interested in an original 20GB and 60GB USA PS3′s “FROM DAY 1″ let me know. I’ll sell you both for $600. I’m through with PlayStation.

35. Gekidami

I’ll take them for 200$. They’re second hand after all.

36. The Hindle

Will they recall it i wonder?

37. Moonwalker1982

I can play

MGS4
    Uncharted 2
    GOW III demo
    yakuza 3 demo

But can’t play…

My newly bought game…Heavy Rain. Sigh.

38. daytripper

i really like this site but over the past few months i’ve noticed…

the n4g brigrade are spreading across to other sites, infecting decent sites like this one at a very worrying rate. i really hope some of you trolls just fuck off asap or take up another hobby like collecting jars of yak urine or something. GO AWAY!

39. Zarckan

Fuck you DaMan….I AM SOOOOOOONNNNNYYYYY!!!!!!

asshole

40. Moonwalker1982

I am hearing reports about how you can fix the problem yourself. You WILL however void your warranty. Since you get one year warranty, it won’t matter for me. My PS3 is from before MGS4′s release..like Feb 2008.

I’m gonna see what the trick is all about and probably try it out.

41. Gekidami

Yeah Moon, see post 27.

42. Goliath

@ TEA

Dude, you’re overreacting and I don’t know if it’s for effect or if you’re really serious but you need to calm down. It really isn’t that serious.

43. Gekidami

That offers going down TEA, i’ll only take those consoles off you for 150$ now. And you’re paying for the postage.

44. Gheritt White

I *heart* zoopdeloop.

45. Michael O’Connor

Pat: Can you link to where they said this?

46. Gekidami

♥Its wuv!♥

47. Moonwalker1982

Thanks Gekidami, but i’m not gonna do that. That’s way too much work and i can’t hear any sound in that video cause the speakers of my laptop are broken.

48. JPickford

Where did all the nutters come from?

49. Gekidami

Its abit confusing what he does, at the start of the video he pretty much guts the system, then once he’s done that says that you dont need to do all that, just remove the bottom casing.
    Honnestly, its not something i’m going to try either, i’d rather wait and see what happens tomorrow. It wouldnt surprise me if doing that could lead to future problems with firmware updates.

50. Patrick Garratt

Michael – It’s from DevNet. It’s a Sony developer resource. It’s member-only.

51. theevilaires

You’ll see how serious I am after I sell my soul to the devil (M$) and buy my 1 year live sub right now. Reask get ready to play some Gears2 and G1GA i will be wiping the floor with you tonight in MW2.

Fuck GOW3, Fuck GT5, Fuck MGS peace walker, Fuck PSN, Fuck trophies, and Fuck that FAT head jap Kaz Harai.

XBOX360 it is!
    Microsoft it is!
    Bill Gates it is!

and I will love swapping disc with the 360 version of FFXIII, don’t believe me check my achievements when the game is released!

I think I’ll head down to my local bestbuy and inform potential PS3 buyers of what Sony has done and tell them 360 is the way to go. You really done it now Sony.

52. ninjanutta2

Whats the bets that this has something to do with the new exploit that can only be done fat ps3s? I think its been caused so that everyone will need to update for the so called fix,in turn putting a stop to the future hack thats in the works..Sounds about right to me,just guessing.

53. reask

@ The conspiracy theorists.
    Do you honestly think a company like Sony would even contemplate something like that.
    I mean if they did and word got out it would spell disaster for them.
    This is just bad luck and nothing else and I reckon they are working flat out to resolve it.

54. Michael O’Connor

Ah right. Thanks!

55. Gekidami

Its affecting PS3′s that have never been connected online and ones using old firmware. I’d bet against your theory, unless Sony have a time machine.

56. ninjanutta2

57. Gekidami

But if its affecting consoles that have never been updated, Sony couldnt have caused it through an update.

58. Michael O’Connor

“What? so microsoft didnt do something similiar a few months ago,blowing efuses with an update to stop the homebrew hack?
    Yes these companys do things like this to protect themselves from pirating etc,nothing suprises me from M.S or sony.”

People who hack their machines have a right to have them stop working. This problem is an issue with the hardware *and* the clock, and it’ll affect units that haven’t even been taken out of the box yet.

59. Gekidami

“This problem is an issue with the hardware *and* the clock”

Its a problem with the internal clock, where are you getting the idea that there are 2 different problems?

60. Moonwalker1982

So wait…that video on youtube says you dont need to remove all of that? Damn…ain’t there just a normal tutorial?

61. Michael O’Connor

Whoops, that was a typo.

62. theevilaires

Ok I’m ready. I got my hat and coat on and now I’m leaving to go to my nearest bestbuy to pick up a one year live sub and a copy of MW2 for the XBOX360. While I’m there I ‘ll hang around just in case some potential PS3 buyers decide to prance on in and make the the biggest mistake of their lives.

This boycott won’t stop unless I get an email from none other than Kaz Harai himself apologizing on his behalf. Until I receive that I’m going full GameStop employee on every gamers ass and will relentlessly try to convince everyone why you should choose a XBOX360 over a PS3. You know what….screw it I’ll even apply for a part time job at GameStop so I can get paid for my effort.

Oh yea Sony you really pissed me off now…this is what happens when fanboys strike back!

63. Gekidami

I asked the guy and he says that you dont need to strip it like that, just remove the HDD but honnestly it looks like he didnt bother to show that :S.

@TEA
    So you’re going to tell people who are going to buy a PS3, about the bug… Knowing that the Slim is the only one you can buy these days and the ‘Phat’ is the only one affected by the bug? …If you happen to cross any buses on your way there please throw yourself under it.

64. Erthazus

@theevilaires you have serious problems. Seriously.

65. DaMan

I believe he was being sarcastic.

66. Moonwalker1982

Gekidami..so just remove the HDD and then whats next?:)

67. Patrick Garratt

Best ApocalyPS3 image so far: http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/03/01/news-sony-provides-info-on-apolapyps3-don-t-turn-on-your-ps3.aspx

68. Eregol

After all of Sony’s hard work this day had to happen.
    Well, eventually all companies have days like this, and it could have been far far worse.

To be honest, if it hadn’t been for the news stories today probably would have passed me by completely as I don’t turn my PS3 on on Mondays.

Funny really.

69. Gekidami

I’m not to sure Moon, i think you have to open the top casing, then remove the HDD to access the screws to release the bottom part of the casing, then flip it over being careful with the disc drive because its loose, then you should see the battery. You take it out for 5mins, put it back in and put everything back together.
    I’m not to sure though, i’m just making assumptions based on whats been said in the comments of that video and whats shown.

Apparently someone in the comments is saying that he’s got a better way of doing it and will post it in about an hour.

70. Moonwalker1982

Thanks Geki…i’ll wait for that, if that seems good i’ll prolly try it. Or just forget about playing heavy rain at all and just do something else.

71. Goliath

@ TEA

You have been my entertainment for the day. Thanks. Pure comedy.

72. AHA-Lambda

I’m fine as long as it is fixed for friday and BC2 :D

73. Gekidami

Just wait till tomorrow for Sony’s fix. If they dont have a fix then they’ll no doubt tell us what the situation is directly. Though i’m still banking on the date changing tonight to help.

Taking out the battery will mean that your internal clock will always be wrong, it might have some effects on future firmware updates and other features that need it.

74. AHA-Lambda

wow bbc is reporting it O_o

75. Ezzaia

Well, Sony is going to fix it sooner or later. A day without PSN/PS3 is not bad at all, go out get a beer with your friends (maybe there is at trophy at the bar) or do something else is another world outside and not all it is bad.

76. theevilaires

Ok people I’m back. I fought the good fight at bestbuy and got a brand new copy of MW2 and a year of XBOX live. I’m ready to jump around like Michael Jordan in a green marine space suit and throw grenades across half a map while being cursed out by 12 year old British kids online.

Also I’m not allowed back in that bestbuy anymore because customers complained that I was harassing them by giving factual evidence of why the 360 is the king of consoles now.

Anyhow, if anyone wants to challenge me in MW2 my Gamertag is theevilaires. I’m all about achievements now so help with those spec op missions is greatly appreciated….and no Reask you can’t help me out with spec ops cause you suck and I’ll scream at you like a 12 year old British kid for sucking.

…..still awaiting that email Kaz.

77. reask

Thanks for that Tea you just made my day. :)
    Anyway where I come from we walk the walk rather than talk the talk so I await your superior gaming skills. ;)I reckon we have enough on the site to set up a ffa game and I will gladly come in last.
    It will be worth it to see how good you are.

Edit:
    btw deadly post that last one I would have loved to be there. :D

78. The_Villa

I’m just going to say one word: SKYNET!

79. Alakratt

Guys…what if TEA is really serious? If so, this guy belongs on a fucking crazy ward.

“The store employees chased me around the store for a good 7 minutes before I had a chance to take all the PS3 games and hide them behind all the old western dvd movie cases.”

Dude, I respected you but today has been…different. Joining the enemy was NOT the answer.

80. hitnrun

@79: you *respect* the flame bait on VG247? Geez, the whole reason they keep them around is for the clown factor. If people start taking them seriously, they’ll start banning :)

81. Dr.Ghettoblaster

TEA’s totally kidding. He’s Sony for life – despises M$. He changed his PSN comment once indicating he’s leaving PSN for XLIVE just to throw off his trophy collecting competitors. :)

82. LordVonPunx

so is CNN

83. AHA-Lambda

Apparently it is working now BUT there is still some trophy damage.

I’m going to wait until the morning until I see what the damage is. I BETTER NOT LOSE ANY TROPHIES!!!! D=

84. cookiejar

Yeah, lots of people saying their Fatboi PS3′s are back in business again.

The Allies have won! :D

85. zoopdeloop

there’s new message from MusterBuster

86. zoopdeloop

Mine is fixed :)

87. Dr.Ghettoblaster

My fatty is back online. All trophies accounted for! Back to Heavy Rain tonight!

88. Razor

The ApocalyPS3 is over.

89. Michael O’Connor

It was fun while it lasted.