Former DICE boss says Wii is “not a games machine”

Saturday, 27th February 2010 22:21 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

junkbattles

Ex-DICE boss, Fredrik Liliegrin, has called Wii a “virus” and has also said that Nintendo knows it’s “not a video games machine”.

Speaking with GamingUnion, Liliegrin says that the console is nothing more than a toy.

“If I got paid to develop a Wii game I would do it. I would not put an original IP on the Wii today unless I thought I had an absolute home run,” he said. “Because the Wii, to me, I would describe it as a Virus, that doesn’t stick.

“Everyone comes home, it’s a toy, people have got to realize the Wii is a toy, not an entertainment focused product. People come home, someone, they play Wii for a bit, feel it’s really cool, blah blah blah, they go out and buy one. Ask people how often they play the Wii, that are not the core game consumer that buys one because they have an Xbox 360 and a Wii or a PlayStation 3 and a Wii.

“The people that only own the Wii, ask that consumer how often they use their machine. They just don’t use it, it was cool, but they’re not gamers, so they put it away.

“Other than the Wii Fit phenomenon that helped a lot of people get a nice cutie voice telling that they’re fat and need to go work out, they need to find other alternatives.

“Nintendo is smart in that way in that they realize this is not a video game machine, this is not a games game machine.

Wow.

Liliegrin currently rruns a company called Antic Entertainment, which produces ‘casual games for the
hardcore’. It’s latest release is Junk Battles.

Thanks, GoNintendo.

1. Erthazus

Agree with everything… but actually PS3 and 360 are toys too, but they are more media devices then Wii.

I have Wii and PS3 and i still hate these 2 devices except games that they offer. PC is more suitable for work and serious gaming that i really like.

2. Grimrita

He is right. Its nothing more than an electronic boRED game! All those that bought it because it was the latest fad must be pissed off seeing it gathering dust

3. Filofax

I know most of the games on the wii are shite, but what the fuck are serious games?

4. Zarckan

Haha, I know Freddie, am going to email him :D

5. Joe_Gamer

Closest I’ll get to the Wii is the dolphin emulator on my PC lol.

6. Erthazus

3@ Starcraft II for example. I can’t imagine playing this on my HDTV screen because you need your brain and you must know mechanics, gameplay and its a cybersport game.

or

ARMA II where you use almost every button on the keyboard.

and e.t.c. Gaming experience is still better on PC no matter what TV screen or couch you have.

7. ruckus

All toys, all games machines – you’re all talking shit :p

8. Michael O’Connor

Former DICE boss is an idiot.

9. SunKing

He must have been either drunk and/or high to say all that. The Wii is a “Virus”? Come on.

10. AHA-Lambda

gotta say I do kinda agree with him :|

11. Old MacDonald

Yep, pretty accurate description. Though in all fairness I believe Mike Capps from Epic was the first to describe the Wii as a virus. He was shot down back then, but now I think it’s a far less controversial statement.

12. Freek

Eurogamer just happend to have posted an article explaining in detail why this guy (and everybody who thinks like him) is wrong.
    You can be verry succesfull on the Wii, if you aproach it with the right idea and not flog on some low budget spin off title or poorly made mini game collection.

13. bugmenot

having current gen hardware inside it is the only thing that is stopping the wii from keeping its core gamers; thats all. For core gamers the controls dont make up for the dated tech whereas casuals dont give a damn.

14. Telepathic.Geometry

That’s not true bugmenot. I’m a core gamer, and I love my Wii games. There are many others like me too. I understand the feelings of a lot of people who feel that the most important thing is HD and beautiful graphics, and those things are important to me too, but gameplay and novel experiences are the key for me.

The DICE guy is a fool IMO.

15. Tonka

OMG, the Wii really is piss; isn’t it?

16. rraa

i like cartoon very much, and thank u for the intresting you bring to us.

i like your blog very much.

ghd
    cheap ghd
    ghd straighteners
    ghd hair straighteners

christian louboutin shoes
    christian louboutin
    cheap christian louboutin shoes
    discount christian louboutin
    louboutin shoes
    christian shoes

17. nike-dealers

I like it so much! It let me to recall past events.
    new Cheap Air Max 2009