Just Cause 2 doesn’t get support for Windows XP

Wednesday, 24th February 2010 08:25 GMT By Johnny Cullen

justcause26

Square Enix has released the PC requirements for Just Cause 2, which reveals the Avalanche sequel will support Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Yip. No XP support.

The reason for that is down to the nine-year old OS not supporting DX10, despite 42 percent of people using it as the most used operating system about, according to RPS.

Get the minimum and maximum specs below.

The game’s out on March 26 for PS3, 360 and PC.

Minimum:

- Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Windows XP is unsupported)
- Processor: Dual-core CPU with SSE3 (Athlon 64 X2 4200 / Pentium D 3GHz)
- Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 8800 Series / ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro with 256MB memory or equivalent DX10 card with 256MB memory
- Memory: 2GB RAM
- DirectX: Microsoft DirectX 10
- Hard Drive: 10GB of free drive space
- Optical Drive: DVD-ROM drive
- Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible sound card
- Internet Connection: Internet connection required for product activation
- Input: Keyboard and mouse (Microsoft Xbox 360 controller optional)

Recommended:

- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz or AMD Phenom X3 2.4GHz
- Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 Series with 512MB / ATI Radeon HD 5750 Series with 512MB or equivalent DX10 card with 512MB memory
- Memory: 3GB
- DirectX: Microsoft DirectX 10.1 with Vista SP1
- Hard Drive: 10GB of free drive space
- Optical Drive: DVD-ROM drive
- Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible Dolby Digital 5.1 sound card
- Internet Connection: Internet connection required for product activation
- Input: Keyboard and mouse (Xbox 360 controller optional)

1. unacomn

Daaaagnabbit, and the trailers got me so anxious for this game.
    I can’t upgrade to W7, all my software is tuned for XP.
    That’s it, next time I win the lottery I’ll get a gaming PC separate from my work PC.

2. Tamo123

While I agree that Windows XP should die right now, I do understand that a lot of people use XP for different reasons. So for the people who it does affect, can’t you just partition your hard drive?

3. RoarrrUK

W7 is actually great. I thought osx was stable but W7 so far for me has been rock solid and snappy.

I understand those who have software running only on XP. It’s a right pain. Some software still doesn’t play nice with Vista/W7.

4. Mrkk27

I do understand, but looking at the failure Vista has been it seems a bit harsh to “ban” XP.
    Also running on W7, works flawless. Upgrading totally worth it!

5. Ianman

Yep I am happy with Windows 7. Been using the Release Candidate for a while now but upgrading to the release build tonight.

I was disappointed with the first Just Cause but I am anxious to see if version 2 can impress me. The trailers look great. Lots of action!

6. freedoms_stain

@1, you don’t need to “upgrade”, you can dual-boot.

If you really want that XP software get Ultimate for the XP emulator.

7. unacomn

That would be a solution, but I’ll still need to upgrade to a bigger HDD, I barely have enough room as is, and of course, W7 isn’t cheap.

Well, maybe I’ll play it one day, just not at release.
    It still bugs me that I have a DX10 video card and can only use it to the full potential in Crysis.

8. El_MUERkO

If it requires a DX10 gfx card then it won’t work for a lot of vista and 7 owners as well.

9. Gheritt White

I bet it doesn’t have dedicated servers, either.

10. mojo

@ 6: XP Mode is even in professional version afaik.

11. daytripper

i hear windows penis is out 2013

12. mington

will that be compatible with adobe vagina?

13. daytripper

quite possibly, i’ll have to ask my Q&A Team Leader for confirmation

14. Hunam

To be honest, I don’t think this is something that the PC crowd will get upset about. The game looks great and I still run XP, but I only do so because my box is fairly old. When I can afford a new PC i’ll be grabbing W7/64 with a fist full of ram. I guess XP needs to be phased out eventually and then DX 10/10.1/11 can finally start to progress the way they need to.

15. Old MacDonald

I don’t know. I mean, yeah, XP is old. But I’ve had no real reason to upgrade (Vista was crap, so I didn’t want to and though I plan to get 7 I have no rush).

I guess it’s not really a disaster for me that this game won’t work on my OS. I can always buy it when I’ve got Windows 7 and the game is in the bargain bins anyway.

But I am not sure how good business sense it is to port a game to the PC, and then leave out almost 50% of the potential PC-buyers.

16. Hunam

I doubt it’s a staunch 50% like people are saying. From the looks of the game, most people sitting on XP wont have the specs to play it anyway. Maybe about 20% of people on XP have the specs necessary to run the game at anything near playable.

17. fdelfino

I never had any problems with windows vista. All games run smoothly on it. Quit winning, you douchebags!

PS: JC2 looks rather awsome. Gonne get it on steam as soon as it comes out.

18. loki

PC games – shit
    Just Cause 2 -boring game
    Who care about boring shit?

19. RGW1982

XP > W7 > Vista

Just Cause 2 Just Lost A Lot Of PC Sales.

20. MushroomStamp

I’m looking forward to this game. Loved the 1st. Yes I’ll get for the PC and yes using the 360 controller.. best of all worlds… best graphics and best controller :)

21. Lordas

loki – shit
    his opinion – crap
    Who cares about a shit’s crappy opinion?

22. mington

loki – Norse god of mischief
    his opinion – is a lie to trick you
    so actually he’s really looking forward to the pc version of JC2