First FFXIII commercial shows 360 version only

Sunday, 14th February 2010 19:49 GMT By Johnny Cullen

FFXIII 10

The first TV commercial of Final Fantasy XIII has appeared in the US overnight.

Get it below.

The ad, which shows a couple of small gameplay and CG clips from the RPG before forming the face of main character Lightning, only mentions the Xbox 360 version.

The recently announced Super Elite bundle for the title was also mentioned at the end of the 30 second advertisement, shown during the NBA All-Star Celebrity game.

The video’s below. The game’s on March 9 in the west for 360 and PlayStation 3.

1. cookiejar

Microsoft and their wallet again.

2. The Hindle

Sony probally passed on this as Gow 3 is out 1 week after so they probably put all the money into that as FF13 has already sold Ps3s but Gow hasnt

3. Bulk Slash

Yeah, certainly sounds like they’ve paid for advertising and bundle exclusivity doesn’t it? I think the FFXIII 360 bundle is coming to the UK as well, so MS could have paid for Euro exclusivity too.

4. Razor

What Hindle said.

MS want to market FFXIII as they don’t have anything to compete against God Of War; SE want MS to promote FFXIII as Sony are going to be focusing on God Of War, so this makes sense.

5. alittler

the PS3 version was still installing

6. Razor

Oh, you just took a massive shit with your own clothes on. FFXIII doesn’t need an install.

7. Hunam

Every time I hear that Leona song I hate it a little more.

8. AHA-Lambda

wow surprised at this :O

the question is should sony have bothered to get tv ads or not? The ps3 version still seems to be outselling 360 on preorders anyway :|

9. Hunam

Don’t be surprised to see microsoft pimping it hard. It’s the same situation as GTA4 was in that Final Fantasy has been seen to most as a playstation brand. People who don’t keep up with gaming probably wouldn’t even realise it will come out on 360 unless there are raped in the eyes by adverts.

10. Razor

“the question is should sony have bothered to get tv ads or not?”

It probably wasn’t Sony’s decision to make…but like we’ve said, Sony would have/are going to put their marketing dollars behind GoW.

11. zoopdeloop

Maybe Sony will throw some advertising(nothing huge) a few days later to avoid showing direct competition.
    I don’t think Microsoft will keep advertising it like this until release date,advertising will slow down a little bit and maybe that’s Sony’s cue to kick in but they go at it just to add with their own to Microsoft’s already advertises informing that is also on ps3 and then going all out with GoW III

12. Johnny Cullen

Bulk – The bundles are coming to the UK.

13. Psychotext

It probably wasn’t Sony’s decision to make…

Square would have offered it to both, but it’s likely MS would have been willing to pay much more. Mostly by virtue of the fact that (as previously mentioned), no-one really needs telling that the game is on the PS3.

14. Tamo123

The ad looked pretty cheap… But I’m still holding on to whatever hope there is for a PC version

15. Hunam

You’ve got more chance of alan wake on the pc than this imo. Plus square are fucking terrible at making PC games.

16. zoopdeloop

Is the game on the ps3 psycho?i didn’t know that :P

17. Johnny Cullen

What Hun said.

You’ve got a 99.99.99.9 percent chance of it not happening on PC. I’m not saying 100 percent as it hasn’t actually been mentioned.

But there’s noooooooooooooo chance it’s coming to PC. No chance.

18. Tamo123

Lol thanks for commenting just to shatter my dreams, but I guess I have to be realistic huh. I guess it’s time to buy a PS3 then given the fact you’ve got U2, Infamous and MSG4 out for it among other games I would like to play. Thanks.

19. NiceFellow

Just as with the MW2 bundles MS clearly know they have to keep the 360 looking the prime HD choice in US. 360 is more or less dead in Japan and has (so far as I can tell from the available info) PS3 either breathing down its neck or just past it outside US and Japan, which just leaves the big lead in US for MS to hold onto.

Therefore they no doubt offered to fund the advertising and pay for bundles in US (and probably Europe as well given it’s so close here right now).

I reckon the result will be PS3 sells more nonetheless in Europe but 360 sells more in US. WW with the near 2M lead in Japan clearly the PS3 will win that battle unless they manage to get a huge win in US.

Makes sense from MS point of view. Sony probably figure they don’t need to advertise to get their share of the pie outside Japan (and they’re probably right) and will put their dollars behind GoW3.

20. Erthazus

Interesting… Can Xbox 360 version outsell PS3 version? IN US and EU?

I think in US it still have a chance with ultra marketing campaign to outsell PS3 version. Its just Xbox 360 in US is 6-8 millions more then PS3.

21. Psychotext

@Tamo123: No! You’ve angered the BDH!

/runs for cover

Interesting… Can Xbox 360 version outsell PS3 version? IN US and EU?

Not a freaking chance in the EU. :)

22. zoopdeloop

Johny talking about FFXIII how come you haven’t put an article with this yet?

mmm something smells fishy at SE’s station :)

23. Tamo123

@Psychotext: Oh shi-
    /hides

Seconded, in the EU the PS3 will outsell Xbox 360 version, this I will put money on lol.

24. Johnny Cullen

ZDL – I seen them, but I’m only doing one piece tonight.

I’ll make sure it’s on the to-do list tomorrow morning.

25. zoopdeloop

alright Johny :) Tomorrow will be hot in here :P
    also take note that “World Exclusive PlayStation 3 Announcement” tomorrow morning on GamesRadar
    (i don’t think it will be something huge) :)

26. Psychotext

From what I’ve heard it’s the new game from the Flower / Flow devs. We shall know soon enough.

Still, that’s better than what I originally thought it would be (Resistance 3).

27. zoopdeloop

with a title like this they sound it like is something really huge.Being a new game for the Psn isn’t so “huge”
    i quess they overexaggerating Psycho as always

Edit: i guess you’re not very fond of the Resistance franchise eh?

28. Psychotext

I thought the first one had some interesting ideas. I thought the second one had a complete lack of identity and ended up being an utterly average and forgettable shooter.

29. Johnny Cullen

To be fair, the new thatgamecompany title would still be massive for me.

Flow was good, but nothing that made me say “impressive”. But Flower was my PSN GOTY for me last year.

And that’s despite Battlefield 1943 being out as well.

30. Psychotext

It was pretty special.

31. zoopdeloop

@28 I’m totally with you on this one.Plus the first one seemed more polished and it had another “feel” than the second had

32. RGW1982

“they have to keep the 360 looking the prime HD choice in US”

It’s The Only Country In The World That Is Under Educated Enough To Actually Believe It.

33. tatsujin

check amazon.com and see best sellers. PS3 and FF XIII (PS3) went up. They’re both sitting in 2nd and 3rd spots. Where do you think FF XIII (360) is sitting? let alone their bundles? way waaaay behind..

x.x ….. seriously, i don’t give a crap anymore. I just want to play the game. After I saw one of the videos on how fast paced the game is for a turn-based, i want to play it so badly. i’m getting the 20 dollar guide too for wallpapers and pictures.

The only guides I have been purchasing are for FF games, the last game I used the guide and i didn’t like the game or the guide (so much crap, so much info).

I’m going to play the game and beat it first, then re-play it with the guide to get everything.

34. Johnny Cullen

Might be a chance yet.

But it’ll definately be a lot closer now then it was before. But most certainly PS3 will have to win it. But like I said, it’ll be very close.

35. The Hindle

Resistance ugh the sequel was terrible, if they do a 3rd they should take a lot more time on it.

36. tatsujin

^– bot?! …………

37. Michael O’Connor

Just a note, but online retail does not make up the majority of retail sales, especially not for a boxed product that appears in stores.

38. Kalain

And the amount of multiplatform games that say ‘On PS3′? MS has done exactly the same as Sony, or have people forgotten them already?

39. yelzie

Why are PS3 fanboys/extreme enthusiasts so blind and in need of reassurance? In my country, commercials for multiplats almost always end with a PS3 logo at the end and “make.believe,” like Assassin’s Creed 2. You don’t hear nobody complaining about that, but now MS tries actually advertises an extremely anticipated franchise coming to their console and it’s a huge deal from insecure fanboys.

It’s just disgusting, you go to an Xbox 360 FFXIII forum and everyone’s talking nicely, etc, and when PS3 is bought up it’s usually about people with both consoles and a rather friendly forum. Go to a random FFXIII blog/post on a neutral site? INFESTED with PS3 fanboys shittalking Xbox 360. Go to official PS forums? OMG, WORSE. Youtube? HOLY SHIT.

NOBODY CARES ABOUT WHICH VERSION WILL SELL MORE. Obviously Sony has exclusivity in Japan and that’s the single region where FF sells the most. Why do you guys mention that, but a game like COD:MW2, out in all countries for both platforms ha a 3mil lead on Xbox 360? Do you see “xbox fanboys” talking about that shit? And that’s more embarrassing. The fact of the matter is that former Sony exclusives are well known on Xbox now (take GTA) and FF13 will still sell a few million on Xbox 360, easily. /THE END. WHO CARES? IF the internet was this established when FF went from Nintendo to Sony, I don’t even think gamers would care back then. And at least it’s still on a Sony console!

Seriously, I feel ashamed to play my PS3 sometimes because of the core fanbase. -__-

40. Blerk

I’m sort of not surprised to see them doing this, given Final Fantasy’s history. If they hadn’t picked up the rights, how many people who don’t piss their lives away on gaming forums would’ve just presumed it was only out on the PS3? More than a few, I’m thinking.

/continues pissing his life away on gaming forums

41. OlderGamer

Your not wrong.

42. Eregol

The 360 fanbase aren’t exactly Angels Yelzie.
    I know people who own both consoles who generally have a better time playing online on their PS3 because of the 360 ‘faggot baters’.

43. Aimless

A fanboy is a fanboy, their affiliation is irrelevant. They might be singing different tunes but they’re all equally out of key.