Rumour – New SSX in the works at Criterion

Friday, 12th February 2010 12:48 GMT By Johnny Cullen

SSX

According to the latest issue of OPM, a new SSX is in the making.

The mag reports Criterion are making the title alongside the Need for Speed title that was confirmed for a Q3 FY2011 release on Monday.

No more details were given other then that.

Only one SSX title has come out this generation, which was SSX Blur for Wii. No other titles in the series have come out for PS3 or 360, with On Tour being the last SSX game a PlayStation or Xbox console had seen in 2005.

Last September, though, Alain Tascan of EA Montreal said the franchise would be revived, but only “if the market is there”.

Thanks, TSA.

1. Johnny Cullen

*prays for it to be true*

2. mington

snowboarding games were HUGE last generation

all the games this gen tend to go for the huge open sandbox mountains, 100′s of different routes…all of them boring

i hope they make this with strict courses

1080 ruled!!

3. Redh3lix

Still waiting for a Ninty “Wave Race” type game for this generation aswell. Surprised there isn’t one tbh, well, at least a decent one.

4. mington

didn’t ssx come out for the wii? and it was shit?

5. mington

the only way to make these games work again is to make them for the casual market, infact just copy whats gone before but update the graphics

stick you avatar or your mii on a snowboard and have a simplistic fun stunt racer

6. onlineatron

OMG THIS IS SOOOO TO DIE FOR!!

7. DrDamn

Hopefully it will all be about great distinctive courses and not an open world which looks all too similar. Would love for this one to be good though.

8. Alakratt

I’ll pray just so this rumor turns into reality!

9. onlineatron

SSX needs to be overtly stylistic, the tracks have to be crazy, colourful and distinctive.

10. mington

if you’ve had phat air on piste once you’ve had it a thousand times

11. Blerk

Man, I cannot stress enough just how much I hate snowboarding games! :-D

12. lindblum_resident

****. YES.

13. TheDifficult3rdAlbum

Oh man, I remember Criterion back in the day, they had two teams, one did an arcade racing came called Burnout and the other a futuristic tony hawks skatebording thing called Airblade!

Movie:- http://uk.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/airblade/video/2815711/airblade-movie-1?tag=videos;title;2

Maybe some of that original team are still there…? :-)

14. Johnny Cullen

Airblade?

God, I haven’t thought of that game in donkies!

Shows my age for it too. :D

If I remember correctly, it did alright, although nothing on the standards of, say, the Burnout games or Black?

15. SplatteredHouse

:o
    /shakes with anticpation!

16. No_PUDding

With Blerk. Hate snowboarding games

And wow, yeah Airblade was one of my first PS2 demos. That game was TERRIBLE.

17. NGCes26294BIV

Black and Burnout (Takedown) were, by far, Criterion’s best games of the last generation.

18. OlderGamer

If they just remake Tricky everything will be fine.

if its sandbox, no deal.

19. rosco1uk

About Time it be a long wait

20. MushroomStamp

SSX Tricky was the best snowboarding game EVER! They need to stop with the realistic courses and get back to the craziness that made this title hot.

21. pumpkinhead303

I really want this to be true! SSX isin my top fav games of all time! me and girlfreind world play tricky for hours!

22. onlineatron

I think about Airblade from time to time.

I remember wanting it badly and never getting it… then I played a demo and hated it.

Didn’t know Criterion made it though!

23. BabyJesus

SSX by criterion is so fucking full of win that I may explode from joy.

24. QIPZ

How can the market not be there? There are absolutely no games out there like it… How many games can you buy flaming heads and boards so you can make your ubertricks look awesome. It actually makes me sad that the world has become so unimaginative that there is no such genre other than Shooters and Football and American Football games. The same thing happened to Mirror’s Edge. Brilliant game but you couldn’t get a headshot and was immediately cast aside. If there were to be a new SSX I’d like it to be similar to SSX 3 because I enjoy it more than any of the other titles