Silent Hill composer Akira Yamaoka joins Grasshopper Manufacture

Wednesday, 3rd February 2010 23:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Akira Yamaoka

It has been revealed to Famitsu that former-Konami composer Akira Yamaoka is now making music for Grasshopper Manufacture.

And Goichi Suda is pleased.

“I really love Yamaoka,” Suda told the mag (via 1UP). “Ever since I saw a video of Silent Hill 2 at the Tokyo Game Show nine years ago, I’ve always dreamed of working alongside him.

“That’s why I thought I’d invite him over when I started hearing rumors that he left [Konami].”

Currently he is already at task to putting ear candy to a Suda project that’s a collaboration with Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami for EA.

“It was a case of really good timing,” added Yamaoka. “I knew about Suda long before I met him; I saw Grasshopper as one of those few Japanese outfits whose games can appeal to an overseas audience.

“I had a chance to meet him in Los Angeles and we talked about this and that, and once we started discussing how we wanted to do something creative for a world audience, I was hooked on the company.”

Sounds like a good match for both.

More through the link.

1. Michael O’Connor

He should be. This man is a legend.

What a great combination.

2. onlineatron

Suda + Shinji + Akira = OMFG SOLD!

3. Phoenixblight

I have only played Killer7 from Grasshopper. I have not played of thier other games. Killer7 was interesting not the best game, had potential though. Hopefully this works out for Akira would like to hear more of his music.

4. DJ Deathstar

Great move for Suda, Akira leaving Konami was a huge blow to the Silent Hill franchise, the music has always been one of the best parts and with the franchise going downhill i seriously think they’re going to have to reboot or just leave it a while before creating a new one

5. Hunam

That’s an amazing catch for Grasshopper. Having a big budget horror game in development then hiring Yamaoka has made it an instant sale for me.

/caresses SH soundtrack collection

6. dirigiblebill

Silent Hill isn’t all he’s known for. Apparently Yamaoka worked on the Sparkstar: Rocket Knight games back in the nineties.

I didn’t know it was possible to be that full of win.

7. Herlock

Toyama + Yamaoka = Silent Hill Team
    Arf Sony should take him :(

8. Blerk

Oh, nice! Good luck to them all! And have Yamaoka produce a fantastic new horror game. In hi-def. With awesome music.

9. Monk

Now I can relax about the New horror Game form Grasshopper.
    shingi Mikami, Suda and YAMAOKA.

that Fantastic.