Analysts not too thrilled about iPad’s gaming prospects

Thursday, 28th January 2010 04:30 GMT By Nathan Grayson

iPadpic_1

Based off the Internet’s current state, the iPad announcement is the only thing that happened today. At all. Everything else – war, politics, Tiger Woods – was put on hold so that we could all watch Steve Jobs trot out a new Shiny Thing.

But what’s that mean for the wide world of videogames? Not much, actually, if analysts Michael Pachter and Jesse Divnich are to be believed.

“The Apple tablet is going to be priced pretty high, certainly more than $300 so it’s going to have limited appeal to gamers, although some people will buy it obviously. I think the early offerings on the tablet will be a lot closer to iPod Touch/iPhone style games, and then probably morph into DS kind of games and then ultimately will morph into PSP quality games,” Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter said right before the big unveiling.

“Right now the iPhone infrastructure is not conducive to a healthy bottom-line for third-party publishers, games are just too cheap with the most premium of games retailing on the iPhone for $10 (or $7 in publisher revenue). If third-party publishers are going to treat the iPad as a serious gaming device the average selling price per game has to at least double, which is difficult to achieve, especially when you consider that your $19.99 game in the App store is competing against games that sell for $1 to $5,” added EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich, speaking with IndustryGamers.

Bottom line: the iPad’s looking at an uphill battle if it wishes to conquer the gaming market.

But what about you, presumed gaming enthusiast? Is the iPad on your radar?

1. The_Deleted

So Pachter thinks it’ll fail…
    I’m buying shares in this one.

2. Zarckan

It’s NOT a gaming device, however it will be used by lots of game developers for meetings, be it to take notes or to show potential clients footage etc of their latest project.

Stroke of genious IMHO

3. Dannybuoy

i think I’d be happier spending some extra £s on some games built from the ground up for the iPad. If there is a special section in the App store where premium games are sold (and the general crap is kept to a minimum) then it could be a winner. I’m still a bit sceptical about the controls on iPhone/iPad. I much prefer gaming on my PSP Go. It’s [iPad] crying out for a bluetooth controller. Surely that can’t be too much to ask. Apple? Now imagine how hard the iPad would rock if you could put it on the desk in front of you, kick back and use a buletooth controller. Freakin’a

4. Gekidami

I already find gaming impossible on the IPhone, this looks like it’ll be exactly the same. I cant slide my thumb around on the screen to control the D-pad/analogue on games that need it. I guess my hands just arent as greasy and/or sweaty as some peoples.

5. McLovin85

@ The_Deleted

LOL :) +1

6. polygem

yea…i also think gaming on iphone sucks…there are some very few game apps that are kind of good and work fine…like monkey island for example, or games like Geo Defense…but games that try to be a full/real/psp/console game, like n.o.v.a., sandstorm etc…are really really bad. i think it´s a waste of time to play these…i´d like a hdmi input in the ipad…that would be nice…but not even the imacs got them…thats a turn off for me…

7. Gekidami

Indeed, its ok for little casual games that only use tilt or where you just have to press points on the screen one at a time but anything deeper is just to awkward imo. Anything you could really call a real, full game needs you to have full, precise control and its just to hard to do that on IPhone.

8. KAP

I want an iphone and i want a ipad. wether i need both tho… hmmm.. doubt it.

9. Syrok

“Michael Pachter said right before the big unveiling.”

And what is his opinion now that he knows a bit more?

10. Gekidami

@KAP
    Depends on if you want a phone or… What ever the IPad is meant to be for. I’d suggest anyone looking to get a new phone go for the Nokia N900 rather then the IPhone though.

11. WizardWeb

So far as I can see, games are not the main thing in this machine, so it’s never going to be considered a real gamers purchase. The iPhone didn’t do much that wasn’t in the market already and in many cases (e.g. camera) didn’t do it as well as the competition, but it was the apps that drove it. This made the competition change what they were doing and it drove everything on.

Before iPod there were MP3 players, but the simplicity and accessibility of the iPod, captured the public’s imagination and kicked the other manufacturers into responding. I bought a 2nd Gen iPod in 2003 and my work colleagues thought it cool but didn’t see the point til I let them use it. Then you could see the ‘light-bulb moment’. My iPhone hasn’t seemed to my friends as more than a phone and a web-browser but now I’ve shown them a few augmented reality apps, they’re switched on to it and want one. The games aren’t the thing they’re interested in and for me they just pass the time whilst I’m on a train.

I’m sure the iPad will have the same effect. Some of the reviews I’ve read suggest the same thing – it seems like a big iPod Touch and therefore doesn’t make sense until you use it. I can’t wait to try it !

12. Eregol

Personally, I reckon this is the first time Pachter is right.

13. Michael O’Connor

It looks stupid and it has a terrible name.

Next.

14. Eregol

Unfortunately it will be the subject of a lot of debate in the near future.

has there ever been a better definition of a marmite device?