Report: One in five women have dumped partners over gaming

Wednesday, 20th January 2010 15:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

slap

Research conducted by MyVoucherCodes has concluded that one in five ladies have dumped their partners because of gaming habits or excessive web usage.

Research by the UK online discount site deduced that 80 percent of women felt their mate spent too much time playing games or browsing the web, with 70 percent admitting that gaming addiction was a catalyst for arguments between the couple.

Apparently, Call of Duty was rated the game most likely to start a row between a couple, according to the research.

However, turning the tables a bit, 72 percent of men thought their partner spent too much time on the internet, but only 6 percent stated it was a reason to call the whole thing off.

“While men are more likely to spend their time running recon with, scoring goals against or shooting at people from all over the world, women are just as to blame for the time they spend online for relationship breakups according to the study,” said MyVoucherCodes managing director Mark Pearson (via PCWorld).

“I’m no relationship expert, but it seems that as technology improves, our ability to interact with those around us lessens – hopefully these statistics will be the push people need to reassess the way they treat loved ones.”

Women are indeed becoming more and more immersed in gaming and online culture, where previously it was seen as more of a male dominated pastime.

Earlier this month, Nielsen reported that 52 percent of US PSP owners were female, back in November, Nintendo revealed that 80 percent of female primary players own a Wii system, and in September, Nielsen concluded that 40 percent of console users in the US had XX chromosomes.

Furthermore, last year, it was revealed that 30 percent of Guitar Hero players were women, and 46.2 percent were PC players, with over 428,621 women claiming to play World of Warcraft.

Loads of stats, there, proving that women are just as bad as men sometimes. Take that Gloria Steinem.

1. Psychotext

Of course, the sad truth of this is that most women are only angry at men for gaming because it interferes with their viewing of reality TV. :D

2. Eregol

Why can’t women attempt a compromise rather than outright dump someone?
    Just smacks of no imagination and a lack of ideas.

Like reality tv.

3. Zarckan

Not sure I’m helping the subject here, but I’ve seen that picture before, and it ends with, well lets just say 2 sweaty nekked bodies

4. Stephany Nunneley

Which is more imaginative than just dumping the fella :-)

5. fdelfino

Pussy or COD4? Now, that’s a no brainer…

6. Grimrita

lol @ fdelfino

Most of my friends have girlfriends or ball N chains who also play online with them.

7. Prox

Opinion pieces that contain “I’m no expert but…” are almost as predictably woolly and hollow as headlines that end in a question mark.

8. Dannybuoy

I lost my entire family through gaming. Then I got a wii and they came back

9. fdelfino

@ Prox

Exactly!

10. PolyGoneWithTheWind

I get over it by imagining my wife being in a particular airport in a particular game… Should I seek therapy?

11. Psychotext

lol

12. polygem

just dump em first…

13. Enkeixpress

Yeah but most arguments always end up with the couple having Sex at the end.

Trust me, It always happens!

One minute, A huge amount of insults & possibly a few fights & the next.. Instant snogging & penetration! … They simply can’t take the hate. :D

14. Psychotext

Not in my world. Unless sleeping on the sofa is the same as sex… in which case I’ve been getting lots of that. ;)

15. SniperWolf

hahahahahhahahaa

16. Stephany Nunneley

@ 14 – same here.

17. OlderGamer

My wife plays games alot. But she isn’t one to seak them out. She plays because they are there. She feels left out if she doesn’t join in. I bet this is the case for a lot of women.

Plus the kinds of games that are played make a big difference. She lives on Puzzle Games. We own way too many of those XBLA games. From Zuma to Puzzle Bobble to Buggie Bunnies. But as where I can play all day long on my games, she often plays for smaller bursts. Generaly speaking she is much better about her gaming then I am about mine.

And I believe that if I wasn’t a gamer, she wouldn’t be either. She would be just as content to watch TV or read a book. Im not passing judgment either way I am just saying you really aren’t going to get the big picture from something like this.

18. endgame

“Pussy or COD4? Now, that’s a no brainer…” idd cod is just too good pass on.. :p actually i’m being a bit serious here. :D

as for why do women do that? well most of them (MOST OF THEM NOT ALL OF THEM!) r just to dumb to be able to play games, hell even most of the guys r..

19. Phoenixblight

Yeah my wife is not a big gamer should used to play the shit out of WoW and stupid kiddie games like Viva Pinata and LBP. I have never got in a fight about the amount of gaming I do, only issue we usually get in a fight about is when I go on a hunt for a particular game and no one has it. She understands me and I don’t ever get to the point of neglecting her or our little one. THat’s where gamers have to draw the line me thinks.

20. IRISHBULL

21. Psychotext

I’ve seen that one, it’s cringeworthy, but probably right. :)

22. eccoshoes

I frequently haveclarks shoes dreams that come true in real life, but they’re almost always about the most mundane things imaginable. ecco clarks shoes It’s not like it’s a useful power or anything. Psychic stuff like this runs on my mother’s side. Weird, paranormal things happen around me so often Ecco Clarks Casual Shoesthat they don’t evenEcco Clarks Sandals Shoes phase me anymore. I’ve given up on trying to explain them; I just accept that they happen.