Mass Effect trilogy will end this gen, says Hudson

Wednesday, 20th January 2010 09:13 GMT By Johnny Cullen

masseffecta2

Casey Hudson, project director of the Mass Effect series, has confirmed that the game’s trilogy will end in this generation of consoles.

Asked if Mass Effect 3 would be coming to 360, he told GameZone: “That was always the intention.

“You get your Xbox 360 or your PC, but the Xbox 360 obviously is the one that’s going to run out of time at some point, and you create your character and play through an entire trilogy on that platform.”

There you have it, kiddlewinks. You get your conclusion this gen.

But in the meantime, Mass Effect 2 releases next week in the US and UK for 360 and PC.

Two free DLC packs were announced last night to celebrate the announcement of the game’s DLC service, The Cerberus Network.

A new dev diary was also released last night, which showed some of the game’s N7 missions.

1. Jadeskye

Awesome! I was afraid ME3 would premiere on the xbox 720 or whatever.

2. SniperWolf

so ME3 in 2011

3. SniperWolf

and ME trilogy edition late 2011 on PS3 :-)

4. Jadeskye

That would be awesome.

5. Blerk

They always said the full trilogy would be on the 360. But you can never really believe them. :-D

6. Jadeskye

a couple years ago i didn’t believe it.

arguably, Bioware has really gotten a whole new level of awesome in the last year.

Dragon age:origins genuinely blew me away.

7. DarkElfa

It better not be the end of the Mass Effect universe though. I’d like to see more games done.

8. Gheritt White

ME3 in 2012 – two years to make a sequel, innit.

ME for PS3 by Xmas 2012.

9. Johnny Cullen

I reckon they’ll announce all three for the PS3 at E3, or at the very least ME1 and ME2 for PS3 at E3.

The third being a timed exclusive of upwards to a year for 360 and PC before releasing on PS3.

10. mington

if so, i hope they sex up the combat of the first game and sort out the rubbish inventory then chuck both games on one disk

11. The Hindle

Me 3 Feb 2012 i reckon

12. YoungZer0

Although i love the Mass Effect Universe and don’t want it to end, i bow myself of the decision. Not many people have the balls to stop when they should. Am i right, Capcom?

13. f1r3storm

Ending the trilogy doesn’t mean that there will be no additional ME games.

14. Goliath

@ Johnny Cullen

How long has it been since you’ve been waiting for Mass Effect on the PS3? I mean at which E3 exactly are they going to make this announcement because I heard it was E308, then E309 and I’m pretty sure E310 is going to pass without such an announcement.

15. Johnny Cullen

I haven’t been waiting on it for PS3.

Even if they were to announce it for PS3, I’d still be playing it for the 360, although I might rent to curiously see what’d the game would be like on the PS3.

What I said earlier was a predicion.

But either way, it’s so obvious by now it will be coming to PS3. The only question is when, not if.

16. No_PUDding

I don’t think it’s coming to Ps3. Thoguh I’d love it to.

The one game on the 360 I feel I am missing out on.

17. Gheritt White

It’ll arrive on PS3, PUD – I mean come on, this is EA – since when do they do platform exclusives? The only reason it’s taking them so long is over rights issues on the first game.

I think mington has it exactly right – they’ll tidy up ME1′s inventory and make it more like the PC version before bundling ME1 and ME2 plus all their DLC on a disc for PS3 just ahead of ME3′s launch. Least, that’s what I reckon anyway.

18. AHA-Lambda

I just need this, gta dlc and splinter cell to come to ps3 and i’ll be a happy man :)

19. Gheritt White

I reckon they’re all due to appear on PS3 at some point, Lambda.

20. Goliath

I’ve be hearing it’ll arrive on the PS3 since January 2008. It’s been 2 years. People underestimate how conservative EA has become. While a popular title, I don’t know how broad an audience Mass Effect appeals to but I would expect the majority with great interest in the game would have played it on the XBox 360 or PC. I think EA weighs risk against return and finds that it may not make the most fiscal sense. To have the most success would have been to port the first and make the second a multiplatform release like Take Two has done with Bioshock or Capcom with Lost Planet. Any other way almost assures the project does not see much success at retail.

21. Phoenixblight

@Gheritt

Its been rumored that the entire Mass Effect trilogy is in contract with Microsoft as per Bioware before the developement of the original.

And the Producer has given a hint to such in the forums about contracts toward a console.

22. AHA-Lambda

@ 21 – you got a link for that? I’m a little intrigued.

23. Goliath

@ AHA-Lamba

October 11th, 2007 “Microsoft has not yet announced specifics regarding sequels to “Mass Effect” but we’ll be talking to EA and BioWare in the weeks to come.”

February 13th, 2008 “Frank Gibeau, the president of EA’s Games Label revealed that the publisher has “struck an agreement with Microsoft to handle future publishing for Mass Effect.”

Yeah, I think at some point EA and Microsoft sat down and hashed out an agreement regarding Mass Effect’s exclusivity.

24. Phoenixblight

Thanks Goliath. I went to go grocery shopping and eat. I would have to search through thousands of pages in the locked out forums to find the link.