Cameron says Avatar’s comparisons to Halo are unfounded

Tuesday, 12th January 2010 20:21 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

James Cameron has told G4 that “fanboys” calling Avatar a rip-off of the Halo universe need to look a bit closer at the source material.

“The funniest thing is when some of the so-called fanboys get up trashing Avatar for looking too much like Halo,” Cameron laughed.

“It’s like… pay attention. If I’m referencing anything, I’m referencing the source work for Halo, which is my own stuff.

“So I get to do that. Nobody else gets to do that, but I get to do that. My rule, anyway.”

Bungie has admitted numerous times in the past that Halo was inspired by Aliens, which Cameron is aware of, so the fact that each resembles the other becomes pretty much inconsequential.

However, there may be more Cameron games in the future, as he told X-play that he’s got “a lot of stories” left in him,, but not “enough time to make them all as movies”.

Avatar: The Game’s been out since December 2009.

1. Gekidami

Well i havent seen Avatar but from what i’ve heard whilst being highly rated its plot and writing is pretty stupid… So yeah, just like Halo! :D
    …Then again Avatars got the visuals so maybe not. :P

2. Phoenixblight

I don’t see how thats the case. Avatar is just dances with the wolves with the best visuals ever. Worst 20$ I have ever spent.

3. Gekidami

My brother saw it, he said it was pretty lame to, which is odd for him because normally when he puts money down to see a movie his opinion tends to atleast be “OK” (and in the case of Avatar he paid extra to “rent” the 3D glasses).

4. AHA-Lambda

Avatar was for me maybe the most overrated movie in recent cinema history so yeah :|

5. startdashselect

One word: FernGully

6. Mauller

I wonder how many other plots this movie is going to get compared to. It’s not exactly ground breaking material but is a fun movie to watch.

7. Mauller

I LOVED Ferngully :D.

8. Nosignalinput

Another key point is that Cameron completed the original script (although, obviously, it was developed over the years) in 1994.

Anyway, most media is influenced by past media these days.

9. rainer

Its an entertaining flick but Cameron did gut the script if you have seen the original online it was much more complex and probably ran 6-7 hours if it were filmed. So it just had to be cut to make it into cinemas & not spend an even bigger fortune making it.

I imagine some of what was cut will work its way into a sequel much like the original Terminator had the premise for T2 actually filmed as its ending (the terminator remains becomes the basis for new computers and then skynet) but Cameron cut it.

Anyway he was spot on about Bungie copying his work.

10. AHA-Lambda

yeah i suppose it ain’t hard to see that sgt johnson is the single most blatant rip off ever of sgt apone in aliens :|

11. Gekidami

I dont remember Apone in Aliens. So is he the father of all the cigar smoking, drill sargent types we see eveywhere these days?

12. Stephany Nunneley

@ DWW is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. So pretentious and in love with itself. Or is that just Costner?

13. AHA-Lambda

@ 11

yeah pretty much:

14. Doc Robotnik

Loved Fern Gully.
    Loved Avatar.
    Loved Aliens.

Dunno what the rest of you are complaining about.

15. Gheritt White

Aliens > Halo > Avatar.

16. deftangel

Cameron’s right of course, the majority of Halo fans and Bungie themselves acknowledge Halo’s debt to Aliens. I would venture however, that the similarities between don’t begin and end at just Aliens. Pandora looks a lot like a place you might expect to find in a Halo game too.

I blogged a bit about it (And what Avatar might mean for a Halo movie) if anyone’s interested.

I can’t say I’ve heard legions of Halo fanboys slagging off Avatar though. Paranoia much?

17. NiceFellow

Well, I accept he didn’t copy anything from Halo and Halo clearly copied plenty from him.

But on the other hand I do think he sure copied Pocahontas and similar tales a huge amount. Good job unlike Harlan Ellison with Terminator they are works no-one will be suing on behalf of.

18. Gekidami

Cracked.com has its own idea. :D

19. Psychotext

lol, that’s great.

20. Dralen

I’ve talked to plenty of people about this movie, and not one of them, has said that they think James Cameron has copied his ideas.

21. Gekidami

I’m guessing NiceFellow was talking about THIS when he said its a copy off Pocahontas…