Survey details possible PSN subs charges

Monday, 21st December 2009 14:44 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3slim3

Kotaku’s running images of a survey which apparently outlines postential PSN subscription charges.

The IPSOS Online Research survey begins, “Sony is considering offering a premium PlayStation Network subscription in the future. The subscription offering would provide new premium features you could choose to pay for and are in addition to the features currently available for free such as access to online multiplayer gaming (current features would remain free).”

One of the charts over there details four potential plans, with three costing $69.99 a year or $9.99 a month, and one costing $4.99 a month and $29.99 a year.

Online music services, cloud storage and cross-game chat are all listed as features.

Pretty much essential reading. Hit the link.

1. Yoshi

Interesting, the only thing which i really think shouldnt be on there is cross-game chat, people have been wanting that from the moment ps3 was launched.
    I like the look of option 1, would be even better if that had free access to ps1 classics, minis and ps3/psp themes aswel :P
    I would also say discounts of store content would be nice but to be honest there is anything that great on the psn, they really need to update it with more ps1, ps2 and ps3 games.

2. Quiiick

Access to beta-games?
    They should pay not charge users to beta-test any game!

But as long as Sony doesn’t charge for the now free online-multiplay why not add a premium service to PSN. I’m ok with that and might even subscribe if the offer is interesting enough.

3. Psychotext

“It’s essentially free QA for the developers how it’s handled now with all these public betas.”

These days people seem to treat them like some sort of early access to a game (even going so far as to pay money on ebay for codes). It’s a little crazy.

4. No_PUDding

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t understand.

It’s exclusive isn’t it? It’s not widely available. Thats why people treat it like that. I am not condoning the monetisation of it, but you see why people buy BETAs on ebay and such.

5. Gekidami

I’d strongly recommend Sony give cross-game chat for free simply because MS charge for it. Though that would probably bring up the question of if people would find it worth paying for the other stuff alone.

6. Alakratt

Everyone here knows I’m a PS3 fanboy, but even I have to admit that including trophy alerts, customer service priority, facebook connectivity as premiums is ridiculous! I get the cloud storage and even cross-game chat (but not completely), but Sony is considering charging for stuff that should be free! And what’s this about “member exclusive in-game content”? So if I’m not a member, but willing to pay for the content individually, I’m still screwed?! If Sony wants a premium sub, that’s fine, but be better that your competitors, not worse!

EDIT: The only one of those options that looks fair is the $29.99. Yes, we loose cross-game chat (for those that won’t be paying), but it’ll be way more competitive that Live’s.

7. MushroomStamp

This is so awesome.. not only will this stifle the mouths of PS3 fanboys.. but it could MORE expensive than XBL…. This is just too funny :)

8. Gekidami

Nice try. But online gaming remains free.

9. G1GAHURTZ

I always said that Sony made a stupid business move in not charging subs fees.

Looks like they’re finally beginning to figure out that they gave a simple way to make easy money…

They’re probably kicking themselves that there isn’t much chance of them getting away with charging for online play, but they’ll probably just offer ‘premium servers’ or something.

10. No_PUDding

I still get free online play, so I am all good.

11. sg1974

“I always said that Sony made a stupid business move in not charging subs fees.”

If Sony brought out their $600 (or whatever it was) console and said “hey guys, we want to charge you for online play AS WELL!” people like you would have laughed for a month.

12. Alakratt

@ MushroomStamp

I wouldn’t celebrate if I was you, if Sony chooses the $29.99 option it would make the console wars even better (or more heated, you choose). Oh and the 360 fanboys will then ask themselves why are they paying more to play online when they have the option of playing free on PS3.

13. OlderGamer

If Sony goes down this road, I expect PSN to offer exactly what LIVE does at the very same price(give or take 5usd). OR I expect MS to drop online gaming from its paid service so that they offer the same thing as Sony. I say the ball is in Son’y half of the court now.
    What if you put in Uncharted 3, and you were greated by a Que number? The display says that if you were a subscriber you would not have to wait to play. That would sting a bit.

14. Mauller

@Alakratt

Well I pay a sub fee because more of my friends play on XBL than PSN. Plus I appreciate the ease of use of the network and the features it gives me. If more of my friends owned or played PS3, then I’d be gaming for free online. Personally, for the minor monthly fee, I enjoy the service and what I get out of it. That’s not to say that I wouldn’t be happy if XBL were free though lol.

15. zoopdeloop

That’s some serious and well done business from Sony’s side.
    Everthing remains as it is now.Free online gaming e.t.c
    But do you want additional priviledges(which seem to be a lot)then you can subscribe.
    Sony tries to make money out of this but also trying to evolve the PSN with these additional incomes so no more you’ll hear “Live is much better than PSN”
    I say if it means evolution…bring it on

16. Goliath

With PSN growing as it is, Sony has to find a way to generate revenue from it. I don’t fault them for that at all.

17. Psychotext

“I am not condoning the monetisation of it, but you see why people buy BETAs on ebay and such.”

Yes, people are insane. That was largely my point.

/can still remember the days when there were significant incentives given to encourage people to beta test games for companies

18. Armitage

No! Down with this sort of thing! Careful now!

19. Mauller

@Psychotext

Tell me about it. I remember beta testing Arcanum and getting a full retail copy of the game in the mail once testing was complete and it went gold.

20. Alakratt

@ Mauller

But isn’t the PS3 installed base growing? So while your point is valid, soon it’ll be valid on the PS3 side too.

21. Mauller

@Alakratt

This is true, and that is only a good thing, but me personally, my online gaming will remain pretty much 95% XBL. My friends and I are all very much caught up in earning and competing with Achievements and pushing for higher gamer scores and working with an already established community. It’s just like trying to make people move to a sequel or a new MMO, you’re going to lose people in the move.

I also believe that it is already a valid point on the PS3. There are groups of friends who made the PS3 their primary gaming machine and as such, have established their community and people of preference there. The PS3 for me is mainly for certain exclusives and Bluray. Though games like MAG will definitely get me into PS3 online.

22. ybfelix

@Mauller: So YOU are the one to blame that Arcanum was broken on release? ;)

23. Hunam

That beta test for Arcanum was harder to get onto than the moon!

24. Mauller

@ybfelix

Yes, that was my fault. Sorry bout that =/. Hurray for unofficial patches? lol

25. geronimo73

@Patrick Garratt

PSN Premium, Sony says “the service will remain free !”

source: http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-448588.aspx

original source: http://www.4news.it/psn-premium-dettagli-sul-servizio-a-pagamento-di-ps3.php

Merry Xmas :)

26. Psychotext

That’s stated in the original news item geronimo73.

“current features would remain free”