MAG hitting January 29

Friday, 18th December 2009 19:58 GMT By Patrick Garratt

mag

MCV’s reporting that MAG will release in Europe on January 29.

The info’s come from SCEE, apparently.

In addition, Heavy Rain’s planned for an unspecified February date, to be followed by GoW III in mid-March.

More through there.

1. Yoshi

I hope its a good read… OHHHH *DRUMS* ba-dum-ch

2. Johnny Cullen

MAG is decent, but Heavy Rain and GOWIII are the big ones, innit.

I haven’t played Heavy Rain yet, but I hope to see it in the new year before release. As for God of War III, I have gone hands-on with the demo obviously, and it’s shit-awesome.

Go buy.

3. Gekidami

Sony’s got the years first trimester covered then.

4. Razor

Hear that?

That’s the non-existent hype for MAG. The game is gonna tank.

5. onlineatron

It’s on the same day as Mass Effect 2.

SO NO BUY FOR ME!

6. Johnny Cullen

February – Killzone 2
    May – inFamous
    Autumn – Uncharted 2, Ratchet & Clank

It seems Sony might going down a similar path as this year.

January – MAG
    February – Heavy Rain
    March – God of War III
    Summer – Gran Turismo 5
    Autumn – ESP’s game (Twisted Metal, innit), The Last Guardian, Insomniac’s game (Resistance 3)

Might have forgotten a couple from this year. Fill in te blanks if someone remembers. Anyways, whatever Sony’s doing in planning stuff for the new year, I like it. Same with this year.

Nicely spaced out.

7. Gekidami

Its hardly a ‘must have’ but it’ll no doubt have its followers.

8. onlineatron

@Gekidami

I think both Sony and MS have a strong first half of the year.

Sony
    - MAG
    - Heavy Rain
    - God of War III
    - GT5 (Perhaps

Microsoft (well… 360)

- Mass Effect 2
    - Splinter Cell: Conviction
    - Alan Wake
    - Reach (is that first half??)

9. Razor

Need Agent info :|

I guess that will be shown at E3, so it’s probably months away.

10. Johnny Cullen

onlineatron – Reach is Autumn 2010.

Multiplayer beta is in the Spring though.

11. Hunam

I can see MAG either doing really well or tanking.

I’m siding with the latter. Specially considering Battlefield is out soon too.

12. Gekidami

I’m betting Agent will be a Q1 2011 affair. No doubt it’ll get announced for the end of 2010 then get pushed back.

13. Johnny Cullen

I’ll be amazed if Agent makes into 2010, let alone a particular point in 2010.

14. onlineatron

@Geki

Agreed, no way it will make 2010.

Same with The Last Guardian.

15. Gekidami

Not so sure about the Last Guardian, maybe Q4 2010 because we’ve atleast seen proof that something of the games exists. Its also been in the making for a long time apparently.

16. Johnny Cullen

Last Guardian will make 2010.

I’m calling it.

If not… I will eat a hat… and stick it on the site. Quote me on that.

17. onlineatron

Hmmmm… maybe.

But I think Team Ico’s hand was forced after the trailer leaked and they had to show it off at E3… i’m not so sure it would have been there in that state (given Ueda’s known perfectionism).

A late 2010 release would be amazing though… I just hope it’s been given enough time to be up there with SOTC and ICO!

18. onlineatron

‘Last Guardian will make 2010.

I’m calling it.

If not… I will eat a hat… and stick it on the site. Quote me on that.’

DONE AND DONE!

19. Johnny Cullen

Ueda said at TGS they were already working on a trailer for E3 before it leaked.

20. Hunam

Reach is probably going to be October/November. Aka, Halo season.

Remember, 2010 is the year of waggle, aka, NATAL/Wand fun.

21. Psychotext

“Last Guardian will make 2010.

I’m calling it. If not… I will eat a hat… and stick it on the site. Quote me on that.”

Bookmarked, quoted, screenshotted and added to calendar. :D

22. onlineatron

@Johnny

I bow to your superior knowledge!

However, i’m going to go against the grain and say the Insominiac game next year will be their new IP. I think we’ll see Resistance 3 a bit later so it can be something truly special (instead a so, so shooter).

@Hunam

Oh don’t remind me…
    All that motion crap will be the bane of my life next year! =(

23. mojo

i see killzone 3 gemed, 2nd half 2010

24. Johnny Cullen

Killzone 3 will be 2011.

Too soon at least for a sequel. They have everything from KZ2 set up now like the graphics engine and multiplayer stuff. Still too soon.

I’d give it at least two years before anything happens.

25. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Personally, I thought MAG beta blew. I’m expecting the game to be a big disapointment, just like Resistance 2 was.

(exits quickly to avoid being hit by sharp objects)

26. mojo

killzone3 2011 will be more propable, no dount, but i want it!!! Hard and fast!!
    cant get over that cliffhanger for another year :D

27. Gekidami

Wouldnt surprise me if Sony tried their best to get KZ3 out in 2010. But like the Agent it’ll probably get shown at E3, announced for Q4 2010 then pushed to Q1 2011.

Not sure about Resistance 3 though. IG seem to be able to push out games pretty fast but they do have their new studio making something. I’ll go out on a limb and say that the new game is for 2010 with R3 coming 2011.

28. OlderGamer

I will buy MAG. Not a bad experience at all and offers something a little different then everything else.
    Could careless about HR or GoW. The GoW formula is being way over done. And HR isn’t my cup of mnt dew.

29. Gekidami

MAG would be a dead cert for me if vehicular combat played a bigger role in it.

30. DJ Deathstar

Gears 3 November 2010??? Been 2 years between each game? Also Fable 3 for around then too

31. Gekidami

Fable 3 for Q3-Q4 2010 for sure. Not to sure about a Gears 3 though. I’m betting they’ll be another 360 exclusive Epic game announced and they’ll let Gears rest abit.

32. Phoenixblight

I am pretty sure the creator of Gears stated there will be no more until the next console.

I was right.

Source:

33. mojo

im so looking forward to heavy rain.
    if its anywhere near blade runner experience (and i think it will, and more) it will blow me away.

gekidami:
    imo fable 3 will be astarting title for natal.

34. mescalineeyes

MAG ha(s)d promise, but feels awkward to play. Also, Bad Company 2 is too good a game to make MAG feel relevant.

Heavy Rain is bogged down by the laughable voice acting and the fact that it’s a QTE fest, no matter what Cage says. Everything exciting that happens is a QTE.

I want The Last Guardian so badly next year though, it’s not even funny. That and Resistance 3.

35. NiceFellow

I doubt MAG will tank due to the extended Beta – it’s pretty clear that it’s already got enough people who’ve bought into the concept via the Beta and have it on pre-order.

I doubt it’ll sell like hotcakes either, mind you.

36. DJ Deathstar

@Phoenixblight

last bit of that link says
    UPDATE: Epic’s Michael Capps has since clarified his comments, and was less certain whether the next Gears of War would be for the current generation or not. “If we ship a game in the next few years, it’ll be Unreal Engine 3,” he said, “If we ship a game on next [generation] consoles, it will likely be Unreal Engine 4.”

Mark Rein, vice president of Epic, offered further clarification in an e-mail to IGN that stated, “That’s a gross misinterpretation of what he [Michael Capps] actually said.”

37. Phoenixblight

Whoops just remember reading headline says Epic says next gear will be on next gen console. It won’t be this year me thinks there hasn’t been a single whisper about it. Maybe E3 will anounce the next one.

38. onlineatron

@mescalineeyes

This is from the Eurogamer Heavy Rain preview

That may sound as though the game’s controls and movements are restrictive, but in actual fact the bond between player and character is seldom forced, with the interface versatile and intuitive. It’s impossible to dismiss Heavy Rain as a sequence of “quick-time events” once you begin to play it; the extraordinary visuals, ‘

From GiantBomb

‘In a game that’s not as otherwise as fascinating as Heavy Rain, this style of gameplay could be a significant liability. Here, though, it seems justified, and it brings attention to the minutiae of the world that brings the game to life. ‘

There are a ton of other previews on the web basically saying words to the effect of ‘The control style is not a probelm’.

So don’t worry about these ‘Quick Time Events’.

39. mescalineeyes

well, as much as I respect Giant Bomb, and especially Eurogamer, I’ve played the game enough myself to have come to this conclusion.

Seriously though, everytime something remotely interesting happens, like when you fight the big black guy in the garage, it becomes a glorified minute-long quicktime event, which, while gripping, is just that, and cheapens the interactivity. The only thing these events have going for them in this game is that failing has more severe consequences than a reload from your previous checkpoint.

40. DJ Deathstar

@Phoenixblight

Yeah i wouldn’t be suprised if it wasnt as i don’t think microsoft would conflict Halo and Gears plus with Reach, Natal and Fable i think another Gears would be a case of putting all their eggs in one basket

41. onlineatron

@mescalineeyes

What kind of environment did you play the game in? (eurogamer expo??).

I just think that, if you did play it in an expo situation, it would take away from the atmosphere and tension.

Especially if you just played the one scene without the rest of the story backing it up.

But then you could be right… after all i’ve not played it.

42. Talyis

Here is what I think will com e for the PS3 in the next 2 years.

2010
    January-MAG
    Febuary-Heavy Rain, White Knight Chronicles
    March-God of War
    April-3D Dot Game Heroes
    Summer-Gran Turismo 5
    Autumn/Fall-Twisted Metal(most likely), Wild Arms 6, The Last Gaurdian, Final Fantasy Versus 13, Rockstar’s Agent Final Fantasy 14 Online, DC Universe Online, The Agency.

2011
    Eight Days, The Getaway 3, Resistance 3, Killzone 3, inFAMOUS 2, White Knight Chronicles, Demon’s Souls 2, Starhawk, new Media Molecule game, Syphon Filter 5, Legend of Dragoon 2, SOCOM 4! I think atleast most will be announced by or in 2011!

43. Phoenixblight

@Talysis

No FFXIII versus will not be coming out 2010. The president of Square said we would be lucky if we see gameplay vids by E3 2010.

44. mescalineeyes

What kind of environment did you play the game in? (eurogamer expo??).

man, I think I’ve played it in every possible environment by now. Small expo, big expo, friend’s house, my house, hotel room, conference room… the atmosphere is fantastic, no problem with that.

45. mojo

mesc, imo u should not see it just as a game norscore it like that.
    Again Bladerunner: gameplaywise the game szucked massive dicks, but it was a great experience. So QTE in ur face ;)

46. The Hindle

Sorry guys id be amazed if the Last guardian comes out next year, maybe in Japan but it would be suicide to release a game like that in Q4. Its my bet for game of this generation is LG. I can see Mag appealing to the socom audience personally

47. The Hindle

Didnt Yoshida say they will be revealing more from thier Japanese studios next year as well? If they do id bet Team Siren will show what they have been doing, plus Grasshopper studios will show thier Ps3 exclusive off maybe.

Also Sony Liverpool have been quiet for a while as have Evolution. Then there is Sony Cambridge they have a game in the works according to Yosida.

48. Monk

@phenox

49. Johnny Cullen

Talyis – I think you’d be losing it if you think Versus XIII is going to make it in 2010.

At the very least, it’s 2011. In the East at least.

Phoenix – That was Nomura, not Wada.

50. Razor

“Heavy Rain is bogged down by the laughable voice acting…”

Totally.

Seems too late to do re-dubs now though…especially if it’s going to be going gold in January for a Feb release.

Jayden’s V/O is hilariously bad.

51. mescalineeyes

actually, black guys’ is worse. “go fuck yourself in the ass!”

oh yeah, did I mention the “mature” writing? :>

52. mojo

well, then im going for the german voice.

53. Gekidami

A CE for Heavy Rain has been announced. Its got the OST, a XMB theme and also “early access” to the ‘Taxidermist chapter’.

54. mescalineeyes

hah, you think that one’s better? the people working in translation are the biggest hacks in the entire industry.

55. mescalineeyes

the taxidermist chapter should’ve been the demo. but hey, who am I to question Sony’s plans, they’re doing fantastically in terms of software sales, especially when it comes to niche titles.

:>

56. Gekidami

Why would they release something thats not even in the final game as a demo?

57. mescalineeyes

to a) not spoil the story and b) to show the people what the game is like.

you can’t really demo heavy rain. the beginning is too boring for a demo and the later parts are too spoilerrific for people who want to go in untainted, so to say.

I just feel that the taxidermist demo is a good representation of the full game, a well thought out, concise package that will answer all your questions about the gameplay and such.

Seriously, geki, think about it: if you release the first half-hour or so as a demo, people will think it’s The Sims.

58. Dannybuoy

Heavy rain. Oh yes! The game the devs said is only meant to be played through once. Suits me, I’ve never ever played a game through twice on my life. Will probably play uncharted 2 again but that’s fine as it’s a linear plot. Roll on 2010 I say!

59. Neolucifer

@mescalineeyes

Indeed , wich is why i’ve never shared any interest in most rpg demo .
    Given that wherever they hail from , their beginning would be the slowest and “boring” part , and that you can’t spoil the story , in the end you’re often just demoing the gameplay and fighting mechanisms .

Same goes with some adventure games .

60. Anders

Been a bit slow on the updates here, eh? Not a new post for three days.

61. Patrick Garratt

@Anders – Ja. We’re resting, to be honest. Normal service will be resumed in January.