PSone is 15 years old today

Thursday, 3rd December 2009 12:09 GMT By Patrick Garratt

psone15

PSone celebrates its fifteenth birthday today, as detailed by this splendid SCEJ page.

The machine launches on December 3, 1994 in Japan, and went on to sell over 125 million units.

It took almost a year to get out of Japan, launching in the US on September 9, 2005 and Europe on September 29 in the same year.

What’s left to say? A beast. A boxy, grey beast. Little life-changing man: we salute you.

Thanks, Blerk.

1. Blerk

Sniff. It brings a tear to the eye, it does. I remember it like it was yesterday – seeing that first footage of Ridge Racer on Gamesmaster and saying “holy fucking shit!”. We never looked at our SNES in the same way again.

2. Eregol

Ahhh.
    Lovely page. Would have been nice if it was in English.
    But yeah, those were the days.

3. Mike

Yep. I remember getting this from a catalogue. I promised the missus that FFVII and Tomb Raider were the only games I was going to buy for it…..I lied.

4. Bulk Slash

@Blerk

I still very clearly remember first seeing Ridge Racer on an imported PS1 in a Virgin Megastore I was so absolutely gob-smacked by the graphics I’d have happily paid the £900 they wanted for the import console if I wasn’t a skint schoolboy.

In fact I’ve still got my PS1 hooked up for the occasional bout of Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3 and Metal Gear Solid. I’ve been playing through the translated version of Policenauts recently too. The 32-bit generation is still one of the best in my book.

5. Psychotext

“Lovely page. Would have been nice if it was in English.”

They’ll probably have an English one when it hits 15 in the West (Next September).

6. Aggie_CEO

crazy that its been 15 years…..

but I don’t think it took til 2005 for it to make it to the US….lol

7. Jadeskye

lol yeah i think you mean 1995 garratt. I still remmember begging my mum for one.

8. Hunam

I love the PS1. I didn’t get into it right away, had an N64, but a friend had a PS1 and we all sat around watching him complete Tomb Raider when that first came out. I eventually picked up one when Resident Evil 5 came out and then I bought Final Fantasy 8 when that came out. I ended up spending most of my time just on the PS1 and amassed some of my very favourite games like Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill, games which I still play to this very day.

PS1 ftw.

9. Blerk

I got mine in 97 having finally grown sick of my PC getting out of date every six months and costing me a fortune. Playstation, two pads, memory card, Crash Bandicoot and Porsche Challenge.

Never looked back.

10. onlineatron

It’s a shame.

All these reactions in the comments about how excited and gobsmacked people were to first see the PS1 in action…

But now, I can’t think of a time this generation I’ve ever felt the same way =(

11. anjin

Its 15 years old?

Well now I feel old :S

12. OlderGamer

I never really liked the 32-bit gen much.
    I did play a few gems from time to time. But for my money the 3D was horrible. And the gen marked the temporary decline of the 2D handdrawn game. I played on the Saturn more then the PSone. I had my system modded and imported a heavy flow of Capcom shooters and fighters, snk games etc. On the Saturn I had Marvel Super Hereos, Strikers 1945, Dragon Force, Gaurdian Hereos, and a quality handfull of Working Designs games.
    For the PSone I played US sport games, GT, Tekken, Battle Arena Toshendin(sp?), and few others. But it wasn’t revolutionary for me. In my mind 3D didn’t come into its own until the Dreamcast/PS2/xbox. I never liked a RE game, a MGS game, a tomb raider game and the last FF I honestly enjoyed was on the one the SNES.
    The 32- bit days were a depreasing time for me gamewise. Infact looking back over this and the past two generations very few of my fav all time games were exclusive to a Playstation 1, 2, or 3. Strange considering how huge the ps 1 and 2 were.

13. prmax2020

happy birthday playstation

14. theevilaires

I remember being split between PlayStation and Saturn. I didn’t know which to choose. I wanted to go with Sega because of the brand name and Sony because the machine was better designed and it played music Cd’s as well.

I made my mine up after crash Bandicoots beautiful grapichs, Tomb Raider’s awesome 3d gameplay,and Resident Evil for making me shit myself during that scene where the dogs jump through the window :D

Happy 15th Birthday PS1

15. cachucha

oh my i was a kid when i went to a new friends house and remember how he had a playstationx imported from the us, it was kinda amazing and weird seeing those arcade games(tekken, ridge racer) running on a home console, also how obssesed everyone was with the first resident evil; couldnt help but save all my life money to get one myself.

Great console.

16. Audio Radar

1994 was so important because it came twice, even after 1998!