Aonuma: We want to give Zelda fans a “fresh surprise”

Monday, 23rd November 2009 09:01 GMT By Johnny Cullen

zelda

Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma has said in an interview that he wants to give Zelda fans a “fresh surprise” in the new game in the series for the Wii, but only if they don’t follow the “same structure again and again.”

It is something we used to talk about with Mr Miyamoto, and he and I agree that if we are following the same structure again and again, we might not be able to give long time Zelda fans a fresh surprise,” said Aonuma.

So we have been trying something new in terms of the structure of the Wii version of the new Zelda game this time. I am really hopeful that people will be surprised with the changes we have implemented for this Wii version.”

We don’t know anything about the game other then this, this and the fact it’s being aimed for a E3 2010 reveal.

Thanks, PALGN.

1. JonFE

Hopefully the surprise will be a *pleasant* one ;)

2. Blerk

I smell fanboy ire in the making!

3. Michael O’Connor

The “structure” of the Zelda games, how you progress through them and way the way the gameplay mechanics work into the exploration of the game world is something unique to the Zelda franchise.

Few games have ever copied it, Okami being a rare example of one that did.

Changing that structure is definitely a risky move, but then, so were a lot of the design choices in Wind Waker, and I was a huge fan of that title.

It’ll be interesting to see what they come up with, if nothing else.

4. Freek

I hope it’s more then just structure, but the content as well.

If it’s once again “hyrule field -> forest temple -> fire temple -> water temple etc etc”

Then count me out.

5. Dannybuoy

TLOZ: The Rail Walker… On rails shooter with waggle controls… I bet what ever it is it will have that auto play stuff making it granny friendly. That or a sand box type game… If there was one game that might get me interested in buying a wii again then it would be a new Zelda. But I think it might not be what I’m expecting…

6. theevilaires

Sure just do Ocarina of Time with PS3 graphics…that would be a welcomed fresh start. And let Naughty Dog make it :D