Euro PS3 video service is actually, honestly live

Thursday, 19th November 2009 11:37 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3slim6

SCEE’s put its Video Delivery Service live for both PS3 and PSP. We know because we just looked.

Get full details on what’s available here and see a video of it in action here.

It’s usable in France, Germany, Spain and the UK and will be updated with around 50 films per week.

Happy Bruno-watching.

1. Razor

I can see how this new double-click to access the PS store is going to piss people off

2. No_PUDding

Jesus, this guy trying to get more hits? Sorry, wolf was cried once too many.

3. tonynibbles

Had a look around, everything seems suitably overpriced.

Can anyone find any information *at all* about how it actually works?

I’ve simply no idea how joe public is meant to find out about whether or not you can transfer files once purchased, if you transfer rentals to psp, how long rental periods are. None of this basic stuff appears on the store (if it does, I couldn’t find it) and even their official site has fuck all information.
    So to work all this out before i decide whether or not to rent/buy something I have to go online and read a cocking press release?!
    Truly a shambles.

4. Eregol

I hate Bruno
    Terrible, terrible film.

@Tony
    I would have thought that when something was added to the cart as a rental it would say at the checkout how long you have the product for.
    I wont know for certain until tonight.

5. OlderGamer

If it is anything like the US store it is almost a complete waste of time. Over priced, yes, transferable to PSP, not that I am aware of. I fully understand your Euros lack Netflix, so something like this seems brighter to you. I have used this service only once, I bought some Peanuts(Charlie Brown), because I couldn’t find it anywhere else. I payed through the nose for it, but I wanted it. It would seem to me that there must be a better way for you all to rent or own movies then a playstation?

6. No_PUDding

Paying for the premium of not leaving my house… Thats fine with me.

7. mojo

ive heard that the movies dont contain at least 5.1 audio?
    is this correct?
    if so, this store is a complete waste of time..
    I mean, HD but no Surround sound? lel!

Older Gamer: How is it with netflix? Do they provide DD Audio?

8. OlderGamer

@MoJo

Depends on the show really. A TV show from 1981 is not going to have high quality audio, and is often capped at 480p. But, its a show from 1981. Know what I mean? The new stuff? Very nice. I don’t have an elaborate home theater in my house to put everything like that through its paces. When we set everything up it claimed it was DD 5.1, thats what we have anyways. Seems to be working nicely.
    I wonder if it would be somehow possible to ghost a US Netflix account somehow. Give a friends address, whatever, and just use it to stream – no discs in the mail, would need a xb360 of course because the PS3 needs a disc and getting one is near impossible because they are coded for activation, plus I doubt they would mail you one. Food for thought.

9. Patrick Garratt

I just had a proper look at what’s on there, and there really is a joke amount of content. Very good show, Sony.

10. Eregol

@ Pat
    ‘Joke amount of content’?
    That a good joke or a bad joke?

If it’s bad, does that mean the ‘Very good show, Sony’ is sarcastic?

I’m so confused!!!!

11. mojo

Older: yeah, for sure. that a 80s shows doesnt provide crystal clear TrueHD sound is a give :)
    But what about Transformers for example? Does it have any form of “superior-to-stereo” sound?
    I would take a look by myself, but im on work..

about ur question: technicaly it should be doable with a shared interent connection + SSL tunnel. But well, it dos contain encrytion and i guess it would lag horribly depending on connection and hardware..

12. Patrick Garratt

Eregol – Very good joke. There’s just hundreds and hundreds of films on there.

13. Eregol

@Pat
    Phew. Had me worried there.
    No sign of localised content though?
    So, what was the hold up all about then really?

I’m a Sony fan, but something stinks here.

14. Doomsayer

Did any of you guys try it already ? Can you stream HD in realtime ?

15. tonynibbles

@Patlike

There’s 555 items on there.

Er, to be exact. However CRANK 2 IS NOT AVAILABLE IN HD.