Moore: Games industry “at least a decade away from saying goodbye to physical disc”

Monday, 19th October 2009 09:45 GMT By Johnny Cullen

petermoore4

Speaking at the PLAY conference this past weekend at UC Berkeley in California, EA Sports boss Peter Moore said the games industry is going to be using physical media for a good while yet.

“[The industry is] at least a decade away from saying goodbye to a physical disc. The more important question is what does the next generation of console look like,” he said.

Moore went on to say that Microsoft will probably be the one making the first move on the next generation.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. G1GAHURTZ

And all our food will be in the form of little pills, and we will wear disposable clothing…

2. Suikoden Fan

if that happens i’m out of the gaming industry

3. SunKing

I think Moore’s probably right.

4. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, I think is MS is going to have to go Blu-ray next gen, tbh.

5. freedoms_stain

In 10 years the cloud model will probably be feasible for most of the developed world, 10 years gives countries with shitty broadband infrastructure (i.e. the UK) time to get a decent fibre optic network down and cloud service providers time to get enough local servers in place.

In terms of a digital distribution model in 10 years low cost high capacity SSDs or better are likely to be a reality too.

I think there needs to be a better licensing system if digital distribution is really to kick off to any decent effect on consoles.

6. SticKboy

I’m not so sure optical media is an absolute given for the next gen. Proprietary low-cost SSDs might be an option given that the next cycle is unlikely to hit shelves before 2013.

7. Quiiick

@ SticKboy
    I don’t think Solid State Disks will ever be cheaper to produce than CDs/DVDs/BDs.

8. SticKboy

Well, I can dream! I’d love to store all my games in DS cart sized packaging.

9. Roybott

Hmmm Solid State (SD Cards and the like) would be a good solution as it would allow sizes to increase as needed rather than the whole console generation being limited by a specific size at the start of it’s life. (e.g. initial games might be 16GB but then later games could be released on the same format [SD cards for example] but with much larger capacity, say 64GB).

10. pracer

What freedoms said – pretty much.
    I don’t see disc being replaced by multiGigs of downloads. I see discs being replaced by streaming game services. And prolly added to the mix will be a console – PC hybrid. But I also see much of the industry resisting the move. MS and Sony, Nintendo, or MS will not want to give up system royalties. So I see third parties forcing the move. Maybe Gekia or Onlive or someone new to the scene will prolly push a low end. low cost console/pc that can do basic web surfing, word prosceing, printing, email, and their very own cloud service. With posible controlers, mouse/keyboard, and printer suport. Sounds far fetched but just watch and wait.

I love the idea of cloud personaly. I hate high cost console games, and high cost PC hardware. Makes alot of sense to me, so long as performance issues are smoothed out.

11. blackdreamhunk

peter moore your going to have the biggest wake call in your life.

12. DarkElfa

If they ever go to something like Steam for consoles, Gamestop will suffer massively.

13. freedoms_stain

pracer, it’d be a double fuck for MS since PC gamers wouldn’t be tethered to Windows to game.