Sony dev “unsuccessfully” tried to make GOWIII a FPS

Friday, 2nd October 2009 11:15 GMT By Johnny Cullen

godofwarIII3

We shit you not.

SCEA art director Ken Fieldman has admitted in a chat with CGSociety that he “unsuccessfully” tried to lobby God of War III as a First Person Shooter to game director Stig Asmussen.

“I tried unsuccessfully to convince [Director] Stig to make ‘God of War III’ a first-person shooter”, admitted Fieldman.

“Kratos could have some truly badass huge weapons that rip gods to shreds. Unfortunately he didn’t see the genius in the idea.”

Game is out in March 2010. You can find more through the link.

Thanks, Split-Screen.

1. Hunam

Ken: Hey stig, can we make God of War 3 an FPS?
    Stig: No.
    Ken: Ok, sorry.

2. Blerk

I don’t think anyone else can see the ‘genius’ in the idea either.

3. satsugai

As much as I like an FPS game every now and then that would’ve been really bad, there’d be mass riots everywhere.

4. slayernl

my reaction:
    bwhahahahahhaahahahh…………
    whahahhahahahahahhahah ow man best story of the week :’)

5. rrod360lol

Heh, Hunam nailed it.

6. JonFE

Well, Sony could try it out (a spin-off won’t cost them much) and see how genius an idea it actually is…

While they are at it, they could add some serious projectile weapons, because, let’s be honest, you really can’t have an FPS without them; chained blades just won’t cut it…

Some heavy gun-power won’t go amiss either; who’s to say machine guns didn’t exist back then…

And, of course, a hostile alien race; those inglourious basterds at Bungie have been milking that idea for years…

7. locus2k1

Ken Fieldman – the Kanye West of Game Development?

8. freedoms_stain

I would have fired him on the spot.

9. phatb0y

Stig? Hey Stig, hows it going? Good, good. Listen, about this ‘God of War’ thing. I’ve been thinking. Maybe we should move away from third person? What? No! They were good games, honestly. Calm down. Its just that everyone is going first person nowadays. The kids love it. We’d maybe have to re-think the combat a little though. No, no, he can still do all the special moves. Everyone loves QTEs. No, they do. Really. Listen, how about we give him some guns. Yeah, I know. Yes. Stig, look, I know its ancient Greece. They had Greek fire though, didn’t they? You see? You see where I’m going with this? No! Of course he can still use his blades! Okay now listen. I really don’t know about that ancient Greece setting. The kids, they want something more contemporary. Our focus groups lap that shit up. Grand Theft Auto, Modern Warfare, they love it. How many times can you kill a god anyway? Stig, are you crying? Oh, okay. Anyway, how about we go contemporary? You know, something with terrorists in it. Okay, get this – they’re on a train! They’re on a train and they’ve hijacked this military satellite. Yeah? Okay, now we’re going contemporary so we’re gonna have to think about that name. Whoever heard of a Jack Kratos, right? How about something similar …Krato, Kraco, Kaso …Casey! Casey Ryback! Shit, Stig. You know, I can just pull this shit out of thin air! Stig! Woah! Calm down! No! No, I haven’t been drinking. Listen! Stig, listen. I’m not done. Okay. Okay? How about we drop God of War. Sounds too biblical. How about Under Siege 2 …Stig? Hello?

10. Phoenixblight

ROFL @ phat

11. SplatteredHouse

Seconded. I’d also bring to light another part of the convo that didn’t occur, where Fieldman sheepishly retorted Stig’s indifference with: But, the Haloez! We must combat them.

12. Wakkum

Nicely done, phatb0y. Kudos for that.

13. deftangel

Jesus christ, the fallout would have been worth it alone!

14. McLovin85

lol, ‘How about Under Siege 2?’ the final line was brilliant, nice phatboy.
    On another note, I would have literally cried if they made this an FPS. Ken deserves a slap for even uttering those words.

15. Komond_Deckard

Someone should explain him two things: one, the definition of genius. Two, it’s quite stupid to say about himself it was genius.

If there’s something videogames don’t need right now is FPS, we are plenty of them. Let something to the rest of the videogamers that, really, we exist too.

16. Hunam

I’d be interested in how the first person sex minigame would pan out.

/reload