Uncharted 2 chapter completion Twitter updates canned

Tuesday, 29th September 2009 08:01 GMT By Patrick Garratt

uncharted22

You may well have been swamped with Twitter updates from journalists playing Uncharted 2 pre-release. You may have found it annoying to receive a tweet every time people finish a chapter. Naughty Dog clearly think so too: it’s canned the feature.

Said dev boss Evan Wells on the PS Blog:

We’ve seen some concern about the frequency of updates for those choosing to use UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves‘ Twitter support. Some reviewers have had early access to the game and selected the option to update their Twitter accounts as they completed each chapter of the game. This has resulted in some Twitter feeds being updated multiple times an hour. We obviously want to provide the best experience for everybody, so for the time being we’ve disabled Twitter updates on chapter completions. The option will still exist in the menus when the game ships on 10/13, but if activated, it will do nothing.

The feature’s going to be reinstalled at a later date with frequency limits. We’re saying nothing. Full thing through the link.

1. Syrok

Good, and I hope everyone turns the rest off as well.

2. Redh3lix

Dont use Twitter, but I think notification of winning in-game trophy’s would be a better option, or that already in there?

3. RoarrrUK

Surely people can just not read tweets? I mean I use facebook occasionally but wouldn’t this affect those who perhaps sit at the computer monitoring tweets or have a tweet app installed on iphone/s60 etc.

Surely there’s too much useless updates as it stands. but each to their own.

Having an option I guess it better than having none.

4. Gekidami

For Uncharted 2 it is. Theres notification of EVERYTHING in that game, or atleast was…

5. 360trollolol

cnt u just ignore them?

but i think its a bit spoilerific 2 know wat chapter it is gonna end.

6. rrod360lol

I’d have thought all the code would already be off being printed out onto little shiny blu-rays by now.

How little I know…

Unless it’s in a dl patch …

7. rrod360lol

p.s. Non-exclusive review embargoes end today at 5pm bst btw…

8. Patrick Garratt

Yep, good man. And I’d expect some very big scores.

9. No_PUDding

Heard a lot of grumpiness about this.

10. ecu

How did they not realise this? Twitter is 99% bollocks. I don’t want to know if you’re eating a sandwich you cunt, fuck off. And I don’t want to know how you’re doing on Uncharted 2. Why does ANYBODY want to know this? Twitter is one of the most pointless inventions ever.

11. Psychotext

“Heard a lot of grumpiness about this.”

People don’t like twitter. :)

12. rrod360lol

@ecu you sound like my grandma talking about email.

twitter is a *medium* like sms, or email. Some people use it well, and others use it badly. Slagging it all off is daft :)

13. ecu

Twitter offers nothing you couldn’t already get on the internet. It’s only good for pushing news, and RSS was doing that for years.

Literally the only good Twitter feed is “shit my dad says”, and even that’s not reliant on Twitter. Even the supposed good Twitter feeds, like Stephen Fry, is basically just him saying “I just had a nice meal at a restaurant, it was lovely” or other such bollocks. It’s catering for a) the human obsession with celebrity, and b) the misguided belief that other people actually give a shit how depressing and insignificant your pathetic little life is. They don’t.

14. rrod360lol

@ecu so, because you don’t like it anyone using it is a moron. Nice…