UK charts – NfS: Shift goes top

Monday, 21st September 2009 10:47 GMT By Patrick Garratt

nfsshift

Need for Speed: Shift’s gone top of the UK charts, knocking Guitar Hero 5 off the top spot.

Data below for the week ending September 19. Last week’s chart here. Thanks, GI.

1. Need for Speed: Shift
  2. Guitar Hero 5
  3. Colin McRae: Dirt 2
  4. Batman: Arkham Asylum
  5. Wii Sports Resort
  6. WET
  7. The Beatles: Rock Band
  8. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  9. Wii Fit
  10. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10

1. Blerk

Very surprised to see WET in there. It had ‘tank’ written all over it.

2. rrod360lol

@blerk there’s adverts for Wet on every bus stop on my drive into work this morning… And there were a tv ads for it all over Channel 4 last Friday night.

3. Psychotext

4. Blerk

It’s the week ending September 19th by the way, Pat. Not the 12th. :-)

5. Patrick Garratt

Fuck’s sake. Brain’s refusing to engage this morning.

6. Blerk

It’s probably ChartTrack’s fault – they’ve updated their ‘news’ but not their charts, they’re still showing last week’s. Which is making my attempts to do this week’s chart analysis for the EG forums somewhat troublesome.

7. Michael O'Connor

“Aye… plus when did the average game buying public have a clue what’s a good game vs not? :)”

WET is a perfectly decent and playable game.

8. cachucha

wet is a decent game compared to those in that top 10 :D

9. Psychotext

“Since always. The attitude that the average consumer is ignorant and uninformed is about 20 years out of date, and reeks of elitism.”

10. Michael O'Connor

“wet is a decent game compared to those in that top 10 :D”

Need for Speed Shift is an extremely well polished game. Guitar Hero 5 is decent if you like the genre, although The Beatles: Rock Band is far more polished. Batman: Arkham Asylum has been critically acclaimed across the board. Wii Sports Resort *is* a great title for those who want a casual experience (Wii Motion Plus works really well), and Call of Duty 4 is hardly what one would called an “average” titles.

Wii Fit *is* shit, so I won’t deny that, and I don’t know anything about the new Dirt game, so I can’t comment there.

So I fail to see how it’s a good game *compared* to the rest of the list. Nearly every single thing in the top 10 is a AAA tittle with top-quality production values.

“Rubbish. It’s better than it used to be for sure, but we still often see completely atrocious games sitting in the top 10.”

And what are “atrocious” titles, exactly? Games that *you* think are shit, or games that actually *are* shit? I don’t see Ubisoft’s Imagine titles or Hannah Montana’s latest game cracking the top 10 recently.

In fact, they rarely ever do. They might appear for a week and then disappear, but that’s because they’ve sold to their target audience for that one week and then run their course.

11. Psychotext

Here’s some examples of shit titles (I think 65% or below is a fair indication) that have spent multiple weeks in the top 10 this year…

NFS Undercover, Quantum of Solace, Sonic Unleashed, Carnival Games, Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir, Ben 10: Alien Force, Transformers.

As I said before, it’s better than it was… but none of those games should be selling great numbers. I can understand how a couple of them got in there though.

12. Blerk

The power of an existing franchise or telly/cinema tie-in is obviously still as strong as it always was, regardless of actual game quality.

13. Psychotext

For sure. I was actually surprised at how few came up if I’m honest. Previous years seemed chock full of garbage week after week.

14. SplatteredHouse

A big win for WET. I’m really happy for all involved!

15. Jadeskye

Love how COD4 is still 8th.

16. Blerk

Speaking of Quantum of Solace, why has the PS3 version suddenly reentered the charts? It’s in at 16 this week, ffs!

17. ShiroGamer

more like NFS SHIT

18. Robo_1

Quantum of Solace really wasn’t bad at all. I greatly enjoyed my run through on it, and the multiplayer was decent enough. I certainly wouldn’t lump it in with tripe like Transformers.

19. deanimate

LOL Shiro!
    very clever :D

20. Blerk

I thought this NFS wasn’t half bad?

21. Psychotext

It isn’t. Best NFS game in years.

@Robo_1: Simply grouping by review scores rather than my personal feelings towards a game. :)

22. gurt90