Alien Breed Evolution – first shots and details

Thursday, 9th July 2009 11:34 GMT By Patrick Garratt

alienbreedevologo

Team17 just officially announced its Alien Breed reboot, branding it Evolution.

It’s being developed on the Unreal Engine and it described by the UK firm as a “retro-modern” remake of the 18 year-old Amiga game.

No platforms yet. First screens and PR after the break.

Breeding Brilliant!

Team17 returns to it’s roots with a stunning remake of Alien Breed.

Team17 are absolutely delighted to formally confirm the return of one of it’s most cherished properties in ALIEN BREED EVOLUTION.

The Unreal3 powered next-gen title, part of Team17’s quality, independent digital line-up is a drop-dead gorgeous “retro-modern” remake of the game that helped Team17 burst onto the Amiga scene 18years ago.

Featuring an action packed, tense single player adventure and an absolute blast of a co-op game, Alien Breed Evolution helps raise the production bar on download-only titles and underlines Team17’s re-energised momentum since deciding to become an independent publisher in the digital distribution era.

Video footage, more shots, details and platform confirmations will be forthcoming later in the summer.

1. Psychotext

Hmm.. this was one of the games I’m most looking forward to this year, but I’m no longer sure based on those screenshots.

2. Patrick Garratt

Going to see this next week.

3. BraveArse

PT – why? I never played Alien Breed and think that looks superb… is it not in keeping with the originals in some way? Genuinely curious as I don’t have any knowledge of the old title…

4. Blerk

I’ve never played Alien Breed either. This makes it look like a sort of 3D version of Alien Syndrome. Would that be a fair assessment?

5. Zarckan

yawn, played it months ago… Tis very nice ;-)

6. Zarckan

@blerk that’s a rough assessment.

Youtube is your friend search for “Alien breed amiga”

7. woodyrulesok

I use to love Alien Breed on my Amiga.

Trouble was if you did it 2 player when you got to the cave at the end it would only let one of you in so the other person had to die and use up all the lives. Luckily the final alien wasn’t too hard.

8. Blerk

Ah. Looking at the videos it seems to be a bit like a higher-tech update of Denizen on the Speccy. Unless Denizen on the Speccy is actually a lower-tech rip-off of Alien Breed. I have no idea which came first. :-D

9. Psychotext

“PT – why? I never played Alien Breed and think that looks superb… is it not in keeping with the originals in some way?”

No, it’s not in keeping with them. I really thought we were getting an enhanced port rather than a complete re-imagining of it.

Besides that, the screenshots are full of various artifacts which puts me off even more.

10. DrDamn

As a friend has pointed out this all looks a bit Shadowgrounds … http://shadowgroundsgame.com/new/

11. Blerk

Blimey, it doesn’t half!

12. Psychotext

To my eyes, that actually looks better.

13. Blerk