People would complain at free money, says Valve

Monday, 6th July 2009 07:11 GMT By Patrick Garratt

left4dead22

Valve really isn’t phased by the fact nearly 40,000 people are saying they don’t want Left 4 Dead 2. They’re complain no matter what its plans were, Chet Faliszek told Videogamer last week.

“I once joked that we could put $20 in a box and charge $10 for it, and someone’s going to complain,” he said.

“And that’s just fine – that’s just the way it is.”

Faliszek took to opportunity to yet again affirm that Valve will continue to release Left 4 Dead content, despite bringing a full sequel to market.

“We never thought, ‘We need to say that we’re going to keep updating Left 4 Dead,’ because that was always our plan,“ he said.

“Briefly before that [E3] we’d already posted on our blog about the updates that were coming. We didn’t think people would think, ‘Oh wait, now they’re not going to do that stuff they talked about’. Yes, we are.”

Left 4 Dead 2′s out later this year.

1. Hunam

What an arrogant thing to say.

2. Cort

These are the guys who constantly complain about a console they don’t like and don’t want to support.

3. Retroid

They’re right, though.

There’s always going to be someone in the ‘net communities who’ll bitch and whine about *something*.

4. David

rofl at cort

Valve currently don’t care for the PS3 big deal. You don’t see me crying over any PS3 developers who complain about the 360.

Edit:
    To comment on the article hes right regardless of how he said it. Just look at the amount of people moaning about Valve releasing L4D2.

5. Lutz

I’d like the chance to complain at free money.

Someone please give me free money so I can compain about it.

6. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Valve’s complaining…..again…

7. Hunam

L4D2 isn’t free though is it.

I swear Valve are just launching an irritating PR campaign designed to just annoy the fuck out of me.

8. David

No its not free because its a sequel to one of the most popular zombie shooters thus far.

You don’t need to buy it they have said about 100 times they are backing both versions. Pick the one you like and move on. L4D2 is getting my money and that’s a guarantee

9. freedoms_stain

Valve and a lot of others don’t seem to get exactly why a lot of L4D gamers are pissed over L4D2.

For a kick off L4D was released at 2 premium price point without very much actual game, but the price was justified by the promise of more to come.

What they did was take 15 sections of the game, block them off add a timer and call it survival mode. They added a single genuinely new map.

Then it turns out Valve have actually built and announced a whole new game while new content is still pending even an announcement from Valve in an unknown time frame – which kinda smells like L4D has taken not the back seat, but a skateboard trailing on a 50ft rope behind its sequel.

Add in that L4D2 isn’t even sufficiently differing from the original to warrant a full release. Everything that’s new could be patched into the original in the form of an expansion pack for the cost of an expansion pack, to charge us full price for what is new in L4D2 is beyond a joke.

People will always complain, but complaints are often justified.

10. Cort

David you completely miss the point of my post. Valve complaining about complainers? THEY never stop complaining – and usually about something they claim to not care about which is moronic – whereas someone complaining about something they care about very much is understandable even if you do not agree with their position. Pots and kettles, much, Gabe? Those who live in glass houses?

And since when do you hear PS3 developers complain about the 360 as much as Valve does the PS3? I’ve read three separate anti-PS3 complaint quotes from Valve in the past two weeks. You don’t cry over PS3 devs complaining about the 360 because it doesn’t happen enough to bother yourself about.

11. David

why should it bother you that a developer complains about a certain format ?

Where does it get you to honestly give a crap about their opinion. Valve make good games but as for their opinion on whats a good format and not ? Who gives a shit what they think. As far as I’m concerned if a developer wants to draw a line in the sand and choose a format that’s their choice. Supply me with good games and I’ll be happy.

Honestly I never understand why people give a shit about developers opinions. peter molyneux is a prime example of why no one should give a shit what they think.

12. Cort

Yeah, why would I, a gamer, bother commenting about a gaming story on a gaming site with a posting facility on which I have an account?

13. David

lol your comment was about how valve don’t like the PS3 and complain about it all the time. I just see why you as a person should care. Maybe the outlook I have on life but I don’t get miffed when a dev has an opinion. Sure their are some great devs out there but its just a job no different than any other. They will have their own biased opinion no different than you or me.

I don’t see the big deal it makes no difference in the long run.

14. Cort

The point of my initial comment was to highlight the hypocrisy, and in order to do that I used an example which yes, reffered to a console (obvious which one). Why do you have such a huge problem with that and act like it drives my very existance?

Thou doth protest FAR too much. Take your own advice and let it go.

15. dirigiblebill

“They’re a victim of their own success.”

I’d say you “hit the nail on the head”, but I absolutely loathe that phrase…