Fumito Ueda not impressed by GTA IV and Mario Galaxy

Monday, 6th July 2009 21:09 GMT By Nathan Grayson

gtaiv54

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus creator Fumito Ueda stated — in an interview with LEVEL (translated by neoGAF member “darkwings”) — that GTA IV and Mario Galaxy failed to blow him away.

Talking about GTA IV, Ueda said that “the biggest problem with the game is the lack of innovative things in the game. The graphic style impresses, but not the base premise, which is exactly the same as the predecessors.”

Next up, Ueda discussed Mario Galaxy, saying that he’d heard Miyamoto took some inspiration for the game from Shadow of the Colossus. Ueda, of course, brought the space-traversing plumber back down to earth.

“Yes I have played it, it was hard to not to since it was rumored that Miyamoto-san was inspired by me. But I had expected more, that segment, was like the rest of the game not so fun as it could had been. I think the fans made a big deal out of nothing when they said Miyamoto had stolen from me. The thing I am critical over isn’t that they didn’t borrow anything that isn’t unique for my game, but that they didn’t make more fun stages out of it,” he said.

Ouch. More through there, if you haven’t already torn down all your Ueda posters and burned them in effigy.

1. freedoms_stain

Woo! Ueda!

2. dirigiblebill

Go Ueda! Take on David Cage next.

3. NiceFellow

Having played all games in question I’d have to agree with him.

4. Digital Gigolo

Mario Galaxy and GTA 4 are both gaming masterpieces. So to are Ueda’s efforts. The Last Guardian looks set to continue the trend.

What puzzles me is the parallels drawn between Mario Galaxy and either Shadow or Ico. I can’t see it myself. Totally different games.

5. Razor

His comments are sure to help the Sony/Rockstar relationship.

6. Michael O'Connor

“Mario Galaxy and GTA 4 are both gaming masterpieces.”

True, but even classics have flaws. Both of his remarks are fairly accurate in relation to the games themselves, but nowhere does he say they’re bad games.

People are just trying to twist this story and sensationalise it as a “Ueda insults classic games!” propoganda piece.

It appears to be working.

“I predict we’ll get “clarification” from him in the next few days with the usual “mis-quoted”, “out of context” remarks.”

Ueda doesn’t seem like that sort of person. He’s generally not the most public of speakers anyway, and they were questions posed in the interview. You make out sound like he just randomly blurted this stuff out.

7. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Good point MC.

8. No_PUDding

Jesus christ. Shitstorm central.

I am not even getting involved here, other than to say GTAIV wasn’t that bad, and I haven’t played Galaxy.

He’s WAY more into the indie scene anyway, so don’t expect him to be all that big on AAA titles.

9. SniperWolf

he is Ueda the Creator of SOTC and ico so he know what he is talking about.

10. No_PUDding

@MC I doubt we’ll hear from him again for a while.

And he’ll only respond if prompted by an interviewer.

11. No_PUDding

And by the way, please change the credits.

It was ‘LilMarcus’ from our community who translated it.

Or just Marcus.

12. Cort

Always believed that GTAIV is the most over-hyped and over-praised game ever. 98 average? Ridiculous.

13. anasui

*opens door*
    *reads*
    *eyes pop out of the skull a la Roger Rabbit*
    *quietly walks backwards*

14. No_PUDding

It’s not the interview you shoudl worry about, it’s the reaction.

15. anasui

u talking to me No Pud? Surely I’m worried, so I’m staying away from this thread..only a quick comment: I am not discussing his merits, but certainly mr Ueda sounds like a completely arrogant and full of himself person, no wonder Sony fans are going to support him. And whats the bloody similarity with the omnipresent SOC? Mario dismantling a giant robot piece after piece? PLEASE, I can count at least 15 games that did it before his OH SO INFLUENTIAL Shadow of the Colossus

*clicks emergency button* *jumps out of the airplane*

16. No_PUDding

I was talking about the sensationlism surrounding it.

Just calm down man, please. We were getting along, I have no idea what your problem is with me.

17. anasui

uh? Sorry if it appeared i was somewhat upset at you, mate. It really wasn’t my intention, and don’t know where my post implies such. (I’m NOT being sarcastic). I just checked if you were talking to me :=). Again, apologies

oh god I sounded like John Cleese in AFCW! i’m becoming a real toff =(

18. Blerk

You know what? I think he’s right.

19. DrDamn

@Anasui
    Why does he sound arrogant and full of himself? Other people said it was influenced not him. He’s just commented honestly on GTA and SMG when asked – how very dare he obviously! I get fecked off with the crap which comes with Mario games. They seem to be untouchable in terms of criticism. I found SMG a bit shite to control myself.

/awaits burning for heresy

20. anasui

*sips tea*
    *does an Harry Pearce impersonation and gets out*

21. No_PUDding

I only played GTAIV, and as I said, it’s not that bad. But then Ueda didn’t say it was bad. He just said that it wasn’t as good as previous installments.

22. LeD

He’s probably right.

On a side note, while I haven’t played Ico, I think he did alright with SotC. A bit repetitive, but definitely different. A solid 8/10.
    Hopefully The Last Guardian will be truly great.