More Lucas point-and-click could follow Monkey Island

Thursday, 18th June 2009 09:34 GMT By Patrick Garratt

monkeyisland

LucasArts’ Brooks Brown has told WAToday that more of the company’s point-and-click adventures are likely to follow the 360 and PC remake of Monkey Island if it’s a hit.

“If this sells, there’s no one at this company who doesn’t want to do these games,” he said.

“It’s a matter of showing that there’s interest and this market is alive and get people as excited as possible about Monkey Island Special Edition to show that these things can make it.”

The new version is essentially the original with HD graphics and remastered music, said Brown. It’s out this summer.

Lots more through there.

1. ChrisPilote

/me wants Day of the Tentacle

2. ultrabrilliant

This is excellent news. I reckon a Grim Fandango ‘director’s cut’ would be great. They’d barely have to change the visuals; just sharpen the textures up a bit.

3. Patrick Garratt

I’ve never played any of these. I’m going to try Monkey Island when it comes out.

4. Blerk

Monkey Island is my second-favourite Lucas adventure after Day of the Tentacle. I’m not sure I want to play it a 20th time, though. Especially seeing as the original PC version is still fine.

5. CrashKeks

It could be Grim Fandango http://www.derwesten.de/nachrichten/games/2009/6/3/news-121725211/detail.html

6. Psychotext

8O

Grim Fandango returns?

8O

7. Blerk

I never actually played Grim Fandango. So that could be a buy if it does show up…

8. Psychotext

“I never actually played Grim Fandango.”

Hand in your gamer card. Don’t forget your coat when you leave. :P

9. anasui

Grim Fandango was absolutely awesome, but also a total beast in terms of difficulty. Not that its a bad thing, its just that i took FOREVER to solve some of the scenarios

cant wait for the new episodic Monkey showing on Wiiware. Hopefully is better than the fourth installment (ugh)

and PLEASE PLEASE remake Sherlock Holmes and the case of the Serrated Scalpel. Even if it wasnt LG, it was neck to neck to the best pnc games of all times. SO good.

10. Shatner

I’m not hugely fussed about these remakes. The originals are still available on store shelves to buy, in spite of LucasArts doing sod all to make them work properly on newer versions of Windows.

Having said that, Grim Fandango is absolutely brilliantly written, the dialogue, character, settings and pacing are really the stuff of legend. I’ve never seen anything come remotely close to it. The puzzles are a bit on the evil side, however and the ending was a bit short and simple given the work you did to get there.

11. Blerk

In my defence, my PC was too shit to play Grim when it came out. And by the time I had a new PC it was years later and I’d forgotten all about it. :-D

12. ultrabrilliant

Possible Monkey Island achievement: hold your breath for over ten minutes, 10g.