Nyko says that controllers won’t go extinct anytime soon

Wednesday, 10th June 2009 15:35 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

nykoocontrollers

Nyko’s director of marketing, Chris Arbogast, has stated that the company doesn’t see controllers going the way of the dinosaur any time soon and that it will be quite a while before peripherals like Project Natal become a mainstay.

“People in the casual market like feeling something physical to keep your hands aligned,” he told Joystiq. “When you grab the Wiimote and swing it, it feels like you’re swinging a baseball bat, versus pantomiming swinging a bat.

“I think that if you take all [the controllers] away and you’re just pantomiming everything, there may be some disconnect with realism there.”

He does admit that if Project Natal becomes a massive hit, the company will have to rethink things a bit.

“We’ll have to think of other ways we can accessorize and augment the players’ experience,” he added. “Not with a controller anymore, but with other things to add to that camera functionality. It could be a whole new avenue of business that opens up for us because we’ll be forced to challenge ourselves.”

More through the link.

1. Psychotext

“We like making cheap plastic tat, and no matter what happens we’re going to find a way to continue doing so”

2. NiceFellow

^^
    You’re probably right – although it doesn’t stop him being right, either.

Anyone really thinking Natal is about to replace the controllers for the hordes of Live players on Halo, CoD, Gears, etc. and even for more casual titles is getting overexcited I think.

It’s cool and all – but for many games it’s clearly not the optimal way you could chose to control it – which will ensure the right control methods, be they gamepads, joysticks, steering wheels, etc. will remain firmly around.

Anyway, Natal is just copying the excellent advertisement for Xbox featured in the rather disappointing Michael Bay movie The Island. Now if I get to fight Scarlett I’ll definitely buy one.

3. freedoms_stain

If motion control gets good enough you could mime using a controller if you’re that bothered about it.

4. NiceFellow

If you ‘mime’ holding a steering wheel for an extended period to time you’re going to have some seriously painful hands.

If you ‘mime’ a joystick I guess you look like a certain cartoon released recently.

Also, while I like the look of Natal from some angles the lack of feedback worries me. For example how would I feel the road surface without feedback, or feel the impact of a sword on a shield?

Sure moving yourself seems more immersive, but take away physical feedback and I think it might well feel less immersive.

Imagine a huge pile up in a racer with not one bit of rumble, only an image you’re stating at (while trying to ignore the pain in your hands).

I don’t want to sound down on Natal, but until I see a lot more than simple party games I’m not at all sold on MS being all bold about redefining the industry with it.

5. freedoms_stain

They could release some sort of force feedback peripheral, a mat or something that attaches to your balls.