Dante’s Inferno – Room for “at least” two more games, says Schofield

Tuesday, 9th June 2009 12:43 GMT By Patrick Garratt

dantesinferno6

Visceral GM Glen Schofield has told VG247 that the EA studio, currently developing Dante’s Inferno, isn’t blind to the fact that the Divine Comedy is a trilogy.

Inferno is followed by Paradiso and Purgatory, “so there’s at least room for two more [games] after that,” said the exec, talking in a phone interview before E3.

“And that could take you quite a long time.”

Schofield was quick to add, however, that sequels are currently far away from the Inferno team’s thoughts.

“We’re not going to make any other games unless this one comes out fantastic, and that’s the same thing with any game that we’re working on,” he said.

“We focus, focus, focus on this one, knowing that there are opportunities to make others, but nobody’s thinking about them right now.”

Dante’s Inferno releases for 360, PS3 and PSP next year.

1. Gekidami

Not going to make any other games in the series unless this one comes out fantastic? I call BS on that, this is EA after all.

2. Patrick Garratt

What I saw of it was very good. Technically awesome.

3. lk

Gekidami, now, I might be a little biased, but teh fuck, EA has been releasing quality games for a while now… not to mention the EA partners programme.

Dead Space, Mirror’s Edge and Fifa 09 weren’t shoddy, now were they? Not to mention Burnout Paradise, which a lot of people consider their favorite racing game of this gen.

I am sure Dante’s Inferno will be a bundle of fun once it comes out.

4. Gekidami

Mirror’s Edge was more then shoddy.
    Though i dont see the point, i never said the game didnt look good, just that EA will release a sequel no matter how the first turns out.

5. lk

not true, Godfather III ain’t coming anytime soon.

then, look at Army of Two — first game didn’t exactly set the world on fire, but the second one improves on it VASTLY. I think there’s no denying that from what we’ve seen so far, it looks rather kickass.

I’d genuinely would like to know what shoddy game EA is making sequels for?

also, I think Mirror’s Edge is an acquire taste and by no means objectively shoddy.

6. Gekidami

Army of Two is a pretty good recent example, how good the sequel looks is sort of off topic, the first was terrible and EA decided to make a sequel either way.

7. lk

but that’s the thing, I think calling it terrible is hyperbole. sub-par compared to other similar offerings — perhaps. I’d still argue that it was a lot of fun for the few hours that it lasted, only if you were playing co-op though.

8. JesteR

Its Glen not Phillip….

9. Blerk

The trouble with this one is, it’s going to be coming out at about the same time as God of War. That doesn’t seem like the best of ideas, to be honest.

10. No_PUDding

Blerk with Sony’s wonderful inability to market things. I ahve to admit, that I am totally not worried for Dante’s Inferno.

11. The_Deleted

I still have great confidence in this one. Dead Space was pretty dull, but if the combat system can hold your interest they could have a cult hit .

12. freedoms_stain

Given the current trend of sequeling everything to oblivion I’d say “at least two” was an estimate conservative in the extreme.