Microsoft unveils motion-sensing ‘Project Natal’

Monday, 1st June 2009 19:59 GMT By Mike

stevenspielberg

Microsoft has unveiled Project Natal and it features a motion sensing camera.

Stephen Spielberg demoed it on stage and says it will recognize “your entire being”.

Although it’s “not reinventing the wheel because there’s no wheel at all”, Microsoft plans to make games as accessible as possible, as it will work with the Xbox Dashboard, recognizes your face, and signs you in automatically.

Games using the camera were demoed.

3D Breakout where body controls the ball, and you can move arms, legs, head and kick the ball and it detects the speed and power of the hit.

Comparing itself to the Wii, Microsoft says that this is done up off the couch, with Waggle commands.

Another demo called Paint Party uses body and voice to “express inner creativity” by splattering paint onto a canvas. Just say the color you want and the game adds it.

No date for the camera yet, but it’s still being shown behind closed doors to developers.

1. Syrok

Best thing so far, in my opinion.

2. OrphanageExplosion

Nathan’s fear-level becoming official VG247 news is my particular highlight.

3. Blerk

But did they do the Minority Report thing? :-D

4. pleasant_cabbage

Yep! The face recognition stuff looked good too. Interesting.

5. Roybott

That looks freaking awesome, IMO!

I see that definatley being big in the future and even extending beyond games, Minority Report would be possible! :D

6. rainer

Venture Beat said natal wont launch until 2010 this was before E3 reveal, MS needs to get the cost down to $20 for the camera and with the announcement that natal will ship with every future 360 I think this backs up their info.

The cost of the zcam was $100 when last shown publicaly in 08.

I liked it I just hope they don’t get carried away if its a success with motion control games and abandon the old school gamer.

7. Gekidami

That first video looked like was pure internal concept stuff…
    On a side note can anyone else imagine Tony Hawk smashing his crappy plastic skateboading pad after seeing how the skateboard works in Natal lol.

8. Michael O'Connor

For the first time in a long time, I’m actually speechless.

9. Psychotext

“can anyone else imagine Tony Hawk smashing his crappy plastic skateboading pad after seeing how the skateboard works in Natal”

:D

10. Roybott

Does anyone know where a decent quality (e.g. not filming a TV with a camcorda) video of the Natal stuff is available? I want to show it some people! :)

EDIT: Dont worry found one – http://www.youtube.com/xboxe3#

11. Blerk

The various video sites are chronic at the minute, I’m getting the worst performance in… ever. Everything’s cam-based at the minute anyway, I guess we’ll have to wait for the press packs to arrive.

12. Mike

I need a feed of the whole conference. I missed all of it. :)

13. anasui

rofl, another Eyetoy. Looks like Microsoft chose to follow a path but took the wrong junction

14. blackdreamhunk

you know what I agree with him I love the system.