Rumor: Epic to release horror title exclusive to PS3

Saturday, 30th May 2009 15:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

epiclogoa

Rumors that Epic is to unveil a horror title at E3 this year are circling the net like buzzards in the desert sky.

Yes, that bad apparently.

The biggest part of the rumor is that it will be a PS3 exclusive, and is being produced by the Gears of War maker if not necessarily “made” by the same team.

If any of this proves to be true, it will only be the second title with Epic branding to hit a Sony console, and will run on a “redefined engine.”

Rumors of this horror title have been hanging around since November of last year so keep your pants on. No reason to get excited just yet.

E3 is just a few more hours away, really. All will be revealed or smashed to bits in good time.

More through here on EveryEye.

1. No_PUDding

Ehh… I reckon lots of people know about an Epic title…

Nothign about Ps3 exclsuive.

2. Razor

Almost seems like sloppy seconds…

3. No_PUDding

Sloppy seconds in which way?:

-Sloppy seconds of Gears 1+2 PS3… Which in turn would be a megaton?

-Sloppy seconds in the form of a new game.. Which is not sloppy seconds?

Sloppy seconds is getting 360 UT3 after PS3 UT3, becuase it’s a shit game, and it’s a port of a shit game. I don’t particularly want a horror game from Epic anyway – but I’d like to see a modified UE3 PS3 exclusive – show third party’s how to do it.

4. TheTwelve

The good thing about VG247 is that they tend to only post the most credible of rumors.

Anyway, we are seeing a lot more PS3 exclusives because:

1. It’s been proven the PS3 can sell and here to stay
    2. There are quite a few reports that the PS3 brings in the most income for developers among the three platforms
    3. I think #2 is due to the fact that the PS3 cannot be hacked as of yet. Every bit of software for the PS3 goes right to the developers—no pirating right now.

5. David

4. what does piracy have to do with the PS3 getting exclusives.

5. someone that pirates was never going to buy the game anyway. Lost sale ? don’t think so

6. Money talks :P

6. TheTwelve

LOL I knew someone wouldn’t let the piracy thing pass. Bottom line is that piracy is a serious problem for developers and one that the internet community seems to laugh at. But it can and will destroy this industry if it’s not curbed. If you don’t think that a well-selling, un-hackable piece is hardware is attractive to developers, then I’d like you to talk to one.

It might seem strange, but the assumption that pirates would not steal a game that they don’t want anyway is false. Bottom line is that people without a moral stand will take anything for free if they can get it that way.

7. Dannybuoy

It would be nice to finally let Epic loose on a platform that has amazing graphical capibilities!

8. blackdreamhunk

As I see it epic games doesn’t belong in gaming. The ps3 can be pirated and there is a market for ps3 games just like there is a market for console games. Sony is losing billions these days so it doesn’t surpise me. Sony is pretty much disperate to make money off their consoles. Oh micro soft is in the same boat. Mirco soft is in the red agin too, 2008 is the only year they made money off of the xbox360.

I wonder how huge those red numbers are going to be by the end of the year. Consoles are now in a down turn,with the ression those red numbers will be bigger.

9. TheTwelve

Ps3 can be pirated? Please show me some proof because this is news to me. Read this:

10. No_PUDding

I know it’s difficult to pull out of an argument without looking like you’ve lost your point, but why don’t we just wait till something is announced?

I reckon there won’t be a PS3 exclsuive.

11. blackdreamhunk

You want proof i’m good at that

there is more links if you want them. Yea there is a market for console games. looks like pirates make money off of pirated games for consoles. By the way nintendo wii and dsi have a much bigger pircay rates than pc gaming does. Oh pirates don’t make money off of pc games. Where there is money to had you can bet console pircay is drven alot more than pc gaming does.

12. TheTwelve

I don’t really care if there is one or not (there are too many right now, IMO, I don’t know how I will find the time to play them all and I really hope they are spaced out properly) but I’m just trying to shed some light as to why I would not be surprised if this is yet ANOTHER one. There must be some clear and logical reasons why as to this shift—2 years ago it looked like the 360 was getting all of them.

Black-dream—yeah, I read those. All of them say the same thing— hackers are trying their best to hack the PS3 and are making some headway but hardly have they truly accomplished the feat. Certainly it is far, far, far from the open homebrew world of the 360 and PSP

13. blackdreamhunk

I think you should read the links agin trying to hack they are readly have!

14. Gekidami

As it says in those links, pirate games still cant be booted.
    The PS3 can be hacked, but the games still arnt being pirated.

15. blackdreamhunk

In peru you can buy ps3 game no problem and they work. Not only do publisher and game devs have worry about pircay on consoles. You also have the used game market. oh there is also the rented games and consoles too. If I want to play infamous I would just rent the game and ps3.

16. TheTwelve

Well, it’s all going to come down to personal experiences now and we can all say and claim what we wish. What I know for sure is that Sony has learned a lot from the piracy debacle which is the PSP.

17. blackdreamhunk

Pirates go after anything that is popular. It’s also why obama want to crack down on the internet. I wouldn’t be surpised if publisher or game devs have pirated IT software too.

18. SwiftRanger

This has to be a twisted reimagination of Jazz Jackrabbit. Epic, make it so.

19. TheTwelve

Doh. This game isn’t exclusive to PS3, Epic has just said.

20. notpill

@blackdreamhunk
    sorry but what proofs?
    I can’t see any proof from that links.

-1st link “PS3 Games MAY now be pirated!” …mmm..MAY
    -2nd link about MOVIES
    -3rd link “hackers have not been able succesfully play the copied games.” Two years ago.
    -4th link …well, it says absolutely NOTHING and is another 2007 article

Peru uh? Are you so shure?

21. OrphanageExplosion

Doesn’t rumour have a “u” in it?

22. Syrok

Not in Americaspeak. :)

23. Blerk

A PS3 exclusive would be big news indeed! That said, I hope it isn’t – I likes the a bit of the old “horror game”.