Big three puff chests for E3, MS to “completely transform how people think about home entertainment”

Tuesday, 28th April 2009 18:04 GMT By Patrick Garratt

e3logo

It’s so on. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have all said in this ESA press release that this year’s E3 is going to be a whopper, with Microsoft’s Don Mattrick saying the company’s showing this year is going to change the way people think of home entertainment. Forever.

“Microsoft is gearing up for a big presence at E3 which will completely transform how people think about home entertainment,” said Mattrick. “We’re excited about the momentum that is building in the industry in anticipation of our June 1st media briefing, which will kick off E3 in blockbuster style.”

“Nintendo has been a long time attendee of E3 and it has our full support,” said Nintendo’s Reggie Fils-Aime. “E3 brings a wide variety of key audiences into contact with products from many companies, including Nintendo. It’s the place where creativity is on display, and as a ‘sneak peak’ for our entire industry it helps generate excitement for gamers around the world.”

“Sony Computer Entertainment America is looking forward to another great showing at this year’s E3 Expo,” said SCEA boss Jack Tretton. “The audience of North American-based and foreign media and key industry partners makes E3 Expo an ideal place for us to unveil the latest PlayStation news and products at our press event on June 2.”

E3 runs from June 2-4 this year. It’s going to be amazing. Full thing through the link.

1. Psychotext

They all need to STFU.

2. Patrick Garratt

I’m excited.

3. Razor

Like how MS said there would be a “new dawn” in home entertainment?

4. warlock7

MS can suxor my BALLS!!!

5. Seraphemz

YOU’RE IN THE MOVIES…..PART 2

6. Redh3lix

“…. this year is going to change the way people think of home entertainment”

Hands up whoever’s heard that line before!

… unless of course Microsoft announce a “OnLive” variant? (doubt it).

7. Seraphemz

Hey Pat- i dont think that you need the ( to )”will completely…”

much better now.

8. Shatner

Is this like how NXE’s launch was the biggest moment in the history of the internet?

But seriously, I’ll bite. I’m quite ready to have how I think about home entertainment to be completely transformed.

Sure! Why not!?

9. Seraphemz

Dang Shat, you have a good memory…

10. Captain Fruitloop

I’m not sure I can survive the frenzy of anticipation until June 1.

Maybe they’ll finally be allowing transsexual avatars on NXE.

11. G1GAHURTZ

Forget all their PR spin crap.

I just want enough videos of Modern Warfare 2 to last me up until the Beta.

After that, any cool stuff from any of these guys is a bonus.

12. Retroid

Oh dear. Can’t they just wait to tell us instead of spouting shite?

13. trav

Megaton?

14. FeaturePreacher

My guess is that MS reveals their wii-mote killer.

15. Psychotext

Does that mean we get to have another Nintendo “response” conference where they spend the whole thing talking about their competitors copying them?

16. hitnrun

@Shatner:

That makes for an interesting bit of analogical thinking. If we take “the biggest moment in the history of the internet” and extrapolate it to what actually happened (NXE), we can take “completely transform[ing] how people think about home entertainment” and figure out what they’re actually going to announce.

17. Withnail

“In 1954, the introduction of color TV heralded the dawn of a new era in entertainment. On November 19, more than 50 years after that dramatic shift, a new era in home entertainment begins with the New Xbox Experience, as millions of Xbox 360 consoles transform in an instant through the power of software.”

= a firmware update.

MS PR should lay off the coke.

18. Patrick Garratt

Halo 4… D. Master Chief appears in your living room.

19. Hero of Canton

Microsoft will presumably be once again promoting that PrimeTime gubbins, which will hopefully be nearing release this time. There’s also going to be a motion controller and a slew of games, and maybe an Avatar area that’s a halfway house between Home and the Mii plaza.

20. Hero of Canton

In other news, I do wish Reggie (and others who’ve used the phrase recently) would learn to spell the phrase ‘sneak peek’ correctly.

21. Seraphemz

^ LOL.. i didnt notice that before.

22. Hero of Canton

I’d make a good proofreader for someone.

23. No_PUDding

Fuck you all, I am going in with low expectations. Sony really aren’t saying anything, and I shan’t fall folly to my own stupidity again.

I will die without there being a new Team ICO game.

24. Hero of Canton

Just the briefest sighting of TrICO and Sony would win E3, unless Nintendo announce a Mario Galaxy sequel for release the day after E3 finishes.

25. No_PUDding

Well fr me they’d win anyway, haha.

I know Miyamoto is the godfather of games, but it’s way more difficult to innovate within someone elses paradigms, than the create them.

Whether those intital paradigms stick is down to luck, and execution.

26. Psychotext

@Hero of Canton – What you said, but replacing Mario with Pikmin 3 (No waggle though). :D

27. Gekidami

TrICO will be a TGS deal, i’m sure.

28. Hero of Canton

Yeah, I think TGS is more likely. If we even see it this year.

29. Nugent

Sony and Nintendo are basically just spouting filler material, saying “yes, we’ll be there and we’ll have stuff to show you.” Only MS is going out on a limb and saying that they have something big in the works… I hope its not an NXE update or something.

30. No_PUDding

That will mean, that it will have been delayed from being shown for over a year.

It was supposed to be at TGS, so I just don’t know anymore.

31. Seraphemz

I think that TRICO will be shown at E3. They need it there to stir things up, and counter 360′s “you’re in the movies part 2″ …

32. Gamoc

I’m pretty sure I read Trico will be at E3.

Oh yes; http://www.ps3vault.com/holy-crap-team-ico-unveiling-new-ps3-game-at-e3-4104

33. tenthousandgothsonacid

“Trico Trico Trico etc…”

According to two of my mates who’ve been shown a bit of it independantly by sony (both journos) we’re looking at the end of 2010 as eta.

I guess sony may show a snippet at e3 but what’s the point ? They’ve been burned by showing off games way too early before.

I’m excited as the rest of you but we’ve still got a long wait. Best think about something else for a bit…

34. Mike

Peter Jackson’s Halo title digitally distributed. First game of its kind, or something. That’s what I reckon Mattrick is bleating on about.

35. OrphanageExplosion

The poor sods with Arcades are shafted then eh?