Takahashi: Cloud success is “almost inevitable”

Friday, 24th April 2009 11:50 GMT By Patrick Garratt

onlive3

In an essay on why now’s an exciting time to be involved in the games industry, VentureBeat’s Dean Takahashi’s stuck his leg in the sand on Cloud gaming – he reckons it’s pretty much a done deal.

“OnLive doesn’t have to kill the console makers to succeed,” said the journo.

“It will become a wildly successful company if it can simply establish video games on demand as a viable channel. And even if OnLive itself doesn’t make it, it is almost inevitable that game cloud computing will thrive.”

OnLive “expects to launch a games on demand service in the fall that is very much like Xbox Live,” Takahashi added.

“You will be able to play high-end games on low-end computers. That’s unbelievable. Many people have reacted to this by saying it is impossible. But it is no more impossible than 2D-Boy creating The World of Goo and getting a bestseller out of it.”

OnLive was announced at GDC this year to general disbelief that the service can work.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Woo hoo! Story of the day.

2. Robo_1

“But it is no more impossible than 2D-Boy creating The World of Goo and getting a bestseller out of it”

Ehh, I don’t see the correlation? Surely OnLive’s biggest challenge is that it has to pretty much break the laws of physics to get a lag free experience comparable to what we have now, whilst 2D Boy are an Indie developer who made a successful game.

I don’t see the link.

3. Retroid

Lag.

The end.

4. Patrick Garratt

Apparently OnLive uses some kind of variable compression thing on the video. The bit-rate drops if your connection slows down. I know people that played it at GDC and they said it really did work. Remains to be seen how it’ll cope with the “real world,” though, obviously.

5. Prof Power Glove

I am looking forward to this ALMOST as much as the Gizmondo 2.0

6. Psychotext

…and I still don’t believe it’s going to work.

At least not until I see how they intend to pay for the ludicrous amounts of high end server hardware / datacenter space / bandwidth that they’re going to need.

Their subscription charges will be very interesting.

7. No_PUDding

Well I will be more than open to it WHEN it works.

Gives many industry chnaging opportunities, that will affect us for the better.

8. theevilaires

G1GAHURTZ said: You could have made this story much more interesting if you’d managed to get software pirates somewhere into it.

You Called :P …..

Psychotext said: …and I still don’t believe it’s going to work.

I agree

No_PUDding said: Well I will be more than open to it WHEN it works.

you don’t like having the real thing in your hands?
    I guess you also would prefer a virtual sex simulation instead of the real thing also…

9. OrphanageExplosion

The day I can make a Skype phone call without the fear that the line or sound quality will drop at any given moment is the day OnLive might become possible.

10. No_PUDding

TEA, I really don’t care about where it’s streaming from, as long as I am controlling it.

Sex is a bit different, but you’ll learn eventually.

11. Psychotext

Virtual sex… the day the human race truly starts its race to extinction. :D

12. No_PUDding

Man I was about to say something but then realised it was a sickening generalisation, almost racist. So I won’t say it, becuase I don’t mean it.

Would be a great sex ed tool. “High I am Sandra, you can explore my pussy! Watch out, I have syphillis!”

Ahh, technology! Looking for ways to rob children of their innoncence since… Well forever.

13. hitnrun

@ Retroid: If it even gets as far as lag. I think it ends when the Eye Ess Pees say El Oh El.